Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 233268 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ethnic Cooking
« Reply #495 on: June 11, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »
canteloupe + proscuitto is the best melon pairing I've had.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2010, 04:01:59 pm »
So for my daughters 2nd b day party we are going to do the Argentinian BBQ Thing. Depending on the amount of people and the size of whole pig we can get we are going to make the metal apparatus for splaying it out.

Like this

A friend of mine did one this way last year and said it only took three or four hours.

If not Im gonna build one of those big grill beds like this.

Already starting the plan for the other Argentinean sides.

Anyone else ever try cooking a splayed pig?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
These guys seem to have it down pretty good. Argentinian looks cooler, but Cuban is SO simple. I did the spit because it's traditional for us and we already had it but I'd like to try it Cuban style one day.
http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:47:41 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2010, 10:04:54 am »
For my daughter's second (last friday) we kept things simple and just had snack food.  I did aloo and keema samosas, which folks seemed to quite like.  Spicy fried things rarely fail to please!

The pig avenue looks nice though, if a bit more work!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #499 on: June 16, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »
BBQ is one of the most primitive methods of cooking. I am intriged by the techniques employed by our immigrant ancestors.

It amazes me as to the ways and means used to BBQ meats. When the first Spanish explorers arrived in the new world they found the indigenous peoples preserving meats in the sun. This is an age old and almost completely universal method. The chief problem with doing this is that the meats spoil and become infested with bugs. To drive the bugs away the natives would built small smoky fires and place the meat on racks over the fires. The smoke would keep the insects at bay and help in the preserving of the meat.

BBQ is a fascinating craft.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #500 on: June 19, 2010, 05:45:05 pm »
Found a nice (little!) shop in north Kansas City that caters to Eastern European food...somewhat generally, but with a special emphasis on Balkans it looks like, and everything I ended up getting was Serbian.

Hot and Sweet serbian paprika...tomorrow I will be doing, finally, at long last, a gulyas over the fire, using a little of the former and a lot of the latter.  Funny, I have meant to do this since Cap started the old "epic thread" over at NB.  Also picked up some sremska ljuta kobasica, a Serbian style spicy sausage, which will make a nice light meal sliced up with good bread and mustard.  And a slightly yellow tint 8-year slivovitz, "Navip" brand, also Serbian.

George's Brand Meats is the source of the sausage...they had everything there, beef, pork, all kinds of traditional cured stuff.  Several types of slanina, which I probably ought to have picked up...ah well, there's next time.  Here is the provider of the meats...domestic, but European style.

http://www.georgesbrandmeats.com/

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #501 on: June 19, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »
WOW! good stuff. I think? No Serbian groceries around here that I know of, and I know everywhere. Maybe the
Russian store has some Serbian stuff.

The Slovakian Slivovitsa is clear.

Tonight we made some solvaki on my makeshift grill set up. Works great for kebabs.

Meat and fire, cant really go wrong with that.

Cooked homemade pita bread over the coals too.

Served with hummus,tadziki, lettuce and tomatoes.

Marinade the hammered out beef cubes with olive oil, lemon, chopped fresh garlic, oregano, rosemary,salt and pepper. Then skewer.

For the hummus into the food processor with cooked chick peas, tahini, loads of fresh garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt pepper, blend till smooth, add water as needed till you reach your desired consistency.

For the tatziki, grate cucumbers into a bowl, add yogurt, lemon garlic, oregano, olive oil salt and pepper. Mix it up and let it sit a while. Fresh mint is great in there too.

Nic, cant wait to see the gulash set up.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #502 on: June 19, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »
The Slovakian Slivovitsa is clear.

Most of the serbian ones are clear too, but a few of them are aged in oak...this one is marked 8 years old, and I have to assume it was aged in very worn and untoasted oak, as it only has a minor hue of yellow to it.  Bourbons, for example, are aged in charred casks and pick up a lot of color.  Could be only oak aged for a short time, too, as most whiskies, even the paler ones, with this much age, pick up more color.

I get slovakian and slovenian all mixed up in my mind.  I'm slowly starting to parse Eastern Europe properly.

The Greco stuff looks great.  I've made tzatziki before but I didn't do very well with it.  I'm planning a trip to a local greek eatery for some "reconnaissance" and then I'll try again.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #503 on: June 20, 2010, 08:22:19 am »
WOW! good stuff. I think?

Yeah, George's is good stuff. The Slivo will go down smoother if you keep it in the freezer, like vodka. Ask the guy at the store if he can get you Zuta Osa or Imperia - that stuff would be smooth even out of the trunk of your car on a hot summer day.

EDIT: There's Zuta (yellow) Osa and Bela (White) Osa
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:25:57 am by beerocd »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #504 on: June 20, 2010, 10:41:01 am »
Really good looking Q Capster!

Did you make the pita bread from scratch.  Flame suit on.  ;)

I love grilling vegetables. Fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic and zuchinni w/ EVOO, salt and pepper.

mmmm....mmmmm....good!
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #505 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:51 am »
EDIT: There's Zuta (yellow) Osa and Bela (White) Osa

They had both zuta and bela osa...figured I'd try the navip but if/when I go back, I might spend a few extra bucks for the zuta osa.  The Maraska white was the cheapest, and I remember it being good.  I think zuta osa is around 32 bucks.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #506 on: June 20, 2010, 11:07:45 am »

They had both zuta and bela osa...figured I'd try the navip but if/when I go back, I might spend a few extra bucks for the zuta osa.  The Maraska white was the cheapest, and I remember it being good.  I think zuta osa is around 32 bucks.

Zuta is cleaner than the Maraska. While not totally unpleasant, it does have an aftertaste that isn't there in the more expensive brands. Around here Maraska is under 20 and Zuta and Imperia are over 30. Another way to look at it is Cuervo/Patron; One you bring out and give shots to everyone and anyone - the other is in the liquor cabinet and comes out when you are alone.  :D

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #507 on: June 21, 2010, 08:27:05 am »
Time at long last for gulyas....

Basic ingredients: Two diced yellow onions, three or four carrots, a diced green pepper and red pepper, two diced potatoes, and two pounds of bottom round roast sliced up.  The spices are a good deal of Serbian sweet paprika, a small amount of ljuta/hot paprika, salt, pepper, caraway, a pinch of thyme, and a few dill seeds.

Tons of sticks in my yard from a recent storm...getting the fire going.

First, the onions went in, with healthy pat of butter.

Then in with the beef, adding fuel to the fire to increase the heat.

After the beef started to brown, I added the carrots, green pepper, and red pepper.  After a while I added the paprika and spices, and stirred to coat.

Then, just enough water to make it somewhat soupy.  Covered and commenced simmering!  After maybe a half hour, I added the potatoes, covered, and in another 40 minutes, it was done.

Plated up with a dollop of sour cream, some crusty bread, and a glass of Navip 8-year slivovitz.   Good, really simple comfort food.  Easier to do on the stove, yes, probably, but this was fun. 

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #508 on: June 21, 2010, 08:49:16 am »
I'd eat that!

You guys kinda make me want to get one of those tripods.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #509 on: June 21, 2010, 09:41:43 am »
You guys kinda make me want to get one of those tripods.

Hell yeah!
Ron Price