Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ethnic and Regional Cooking  (Read 233287 times)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Ethnic Cooking
« Reply #435 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:15 am »
Thought occured to me

Isnt all cooking Ethnic?
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #436 on: May 26, 2010, 09:04:29 am »
Isnt all cooking Ethnic?

Hamburgers, hotdogs, and pork steaks on the grill and a cooler full of bud light.  Name that ethnicity.....
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2010, 09:08:33 am »
Ethnic Group - An ethnic group is a group of people whose members identify with each other, through a common heritage that is real or assumed. This shared heritage may be based upon putative common ancestry, history, kinship, religion, language, shared territory, nationality or physical appearance. Members of an ethnic group are conscious of belonging to an ethnic group; moreover ethnic identity is further marked by the recognition from others of a group's distinctiveness.

as per Wikipedia.
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:45 am »
Isnt all cooking Ethnic?

Hamburgers, hotdogs, and pork steaks on the grill and a cooler full of bud light.  Name that ethnicity.....

American... just like baseball, grandma, and apple pie.  But I would swap out the contents of the cooler for something better ;)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2010, 09:54:40 am »
Vegan dishes by a brand called "Tasty Bite" and imported from India.

I'd be careful, particularly if serving to a practicing vegan, with Indian food unless very explicitly stated as vegan.  There are a great number of Indian vegetarians of course, but veganism isn't quite so prominent; the use of ghee in cooking is very common and one of those dishes marked as vegetarian (properly, granted) was a paneer dish which uses cheese.  So those dishes could very easily have ghee in them as a cooking oil, which I gather isn't terribly kosher for your veganites.

I really recommend Julie Sahni's book for learning processes (more than simple recipes) for Indian cooking, but hers is kind of old school, and because naan is more a commercially baked bread in india, only includes recipes for all the various unleavened breads more commonly made at home in India.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #440 on: May 26, 2010, 10:27:58 am »
American... just like baseball, grandma, and apple pie. 

You can't eat the baseball  ::)

American just doesn't strike me as an ethnicity. Ask someone what their ethnicity is and you get an answer like 50 percent German and 25 Polish and 25 Chinese on my mother's side. :)  I understand that's ethnic heritage, but it's linked.

Start an American cooking thread... what the heck would go in there? (I'd guess sloppy slathered bbq ribs)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #441 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:40 am »
Nic thanks for the advice. These little pouches will give me an idea of what to expect when I try the recipes. Channa Masala looks easy and chickpeas are my favorite bean anyway. I'd like to do bread and forgo rice.

American just doesn't strike me as an ethnicity. Ask someone what their ethnicity is and you get an answer like 50 percent German and 25 Polish and 25 Chinese on my mother's side. Smiley  I understand that's ethnic heritage, but it's linked.

Start an American cooking thread... what the heck would go in there? (I'd guess sloppy slathered bbq ribs)

Haha how about Chickd steak with cream gravy? Meatloaf or Sloppy Joe's?!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #442 on: May 26, 2010, 12:21:17 pm »
American food is generally a natural version of a sort of "fusion" cuisine from all the old world cuisines.  Even chicken fried steak with gravy, probably originated in areas thick with central European and German immigrants who took the local beef and made schnitzel out of it!  Almost any typically American food has a discernible lineage from immigrant nations.  Maybe not succotash and pinole!  :D

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #443 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »
When I think ethnic I mean the cooking of our immigrant ancestors. Recipes in their more pure form,how they were originally made.Ya know, authentic.

Some of these dishes, pazole for example have been made the same way for a thousand years, maybe more.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #444 on: May 26, 2010, 07:29:58 pm »
Some of these dishes, pazole for example have been made the same way for a thousand years, maybe more.

Not quite the same......

According to research by the National Institute of Anthropology and History and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, in these special occasions, the meat used in the pozole was human. [4] After the prisoners were killed by having their hearts torn out in a ritual sacrifice, the rest of the body was chopped and cooked with corn. The meal was shared among the whole community as an act of religious communion. After the conquest, when cannibalism was banned, pork became the staple meat, as it "tasted very similar", according to a Spanish priest.[5]

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #445 on: May 26, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »
I love cooking on the grill.

Today I saw a quote from http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/5-tricks-to-grill-your-way-to-better-health-1464885/

"Marinate meats. Marinating can reduce HCA formation by as much as 92 to 99 percent, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR). One study in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry showed that marinating red meat in beer or wine for two hours significantly reduced HCAs. Scientists believe the antioxidants in these marinades block HCAs from forming."

Yet one more reason why beer is good!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #446 on: May 26, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »
Isnt all cooking Ethnic?

Hot dogs = German

Hamburgers = German

Pork steaks................. I'd bet most ehtnicities eat that.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #447 on: May 26, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »
the meat used in the pozole was human.

Meat is meat, it's how well you cook it that matters!  :o

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #448 on: May 26, 2010, 07:43:51 pm »
Hot dogs = German

Hamburgers = German

Pork steaks................. I'd bet most ehtnicities eat that.
So your answer is German, clinched by the fact there is a cooler full of lager beer from a company founded by a German Immigrant. I was going for "American"  ;)  

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #449 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:32 pm »
MMM long pork pazole....nice.

I had an "American" pizza in Germany. It had corn on it.

Pork sausages on a bun. Sausages have been around a long time. Maybe the Germans invented the frankfurter and the wiener but the "Hot Dog" as we know it is American. Just ask someone from Chicago.

Germany, come on man, they dont have yellow mustard and they dont have neon green relish, they dont even have baseball !

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:28:22 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us