Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: That German lager flavor  (Read 139119 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: That German lager flavor
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2012, 01:47:40 pm »
I remember reading that to have a healthy fermentation you need the yeast to reproduce at least a certain amount. Also remember a thread where Tom explained this.  I'll try to find it.

I don't think it's so much that they have to as that you want to pitch enough yeast to limit the amount they do.  Also, I've found that some yeast growth can enhance flavor, which is why I seldom pitch on an entire yeast slurry.  But pitching more yeast can be an acceptable substitute to aeration in some cases.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2012, 02:08:07 pm »
Ron, thanks for the lagering on the yeast cake comment - I do remember reading years back that the German use horizontal lagering tanks to let the yeast settle on more surface area, which makes more of the yeast in the lagering tank available to clear up the beer.

Budweiser uses the beechwood strips to give more area for the yeast to settle onto. Don't know the tank geometry.

I have thought of tranfering some yeast into the corny when racking, then lagering on the side. Afraid of leaks, but I might try that some day if I have room in the lagering freeze. I can fit 8 standing up. Need to see how many go in laying down.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »
Quote from: beersk
Without aerating the wort? I use a mix stir and I am wondering if I would be able to make up for the lack of aeration (as compared to pure O2) with pitching extra yeast.

Just looked back at this.  Got off track a bit.  If you aerate properly with a mix stir, you are fine.  Pitching more yeast will not fix poor aeration.
I have been under the impression that a mix stir will not aerate the wort enough for lagers.  2 or 3 minutes with a mix stir is all I usually do.

I've been using a mix-stir to aerate my lagers for almost two years without issue.  I have excellent lager fermentations that attenuate completely. 
Great to know, thanks! I don't have the highest rpm drill, but would that make much difference? Probably just the rate at which the O2 is dissolved, right?

I wonder about lagering on the yeast cake, would that yeast still be viable at the end of the lagering phase?
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46:21 pm »
Beersk,

If you are aerating at or close to your fermentation temp, you'll get more O2 in to solution.  Edit:  Than aerating at ale temps.....

Dave
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:48:27 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2012, 03:10:35 pm »
Great to know, thanks! I don't have the highest rpm drill, but would that make much difference? Probably just the rate at which the O2 is dissolved, right?

Yep...you might have to run it a bit longer, but no big deal.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2012, 03:13:36 pm »
Beersk,

If you are aerating at or close to your fermentation temp, you'll get more O2 in to solution.  Edit:  Than aerating at ale temps.....

Dave

I guess I should have stated that I always cool my lager wort down to around 46F prior to aerating and pitching.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »
Beersk,

Dave
Right, that's what I typically do or have done and will continue to do.......

Tons of great info in this thread guys, thanks a bunch.  Hopefully we can keep it going...too bad Kai isn't around anymore.  Where's he been? He's been updating his blog, I see...just not into the forums anymore I guess.
Jesse

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »
Ron, thanks for the lagering on the yeast cake comment - I do remember reading years back that the German use horizontal lagering tanks to let the yeast settle on more surface area, which makes more of the yeast in the lagering tank available to clear up the beer.

Budweiser uses the beechwood strips to give more area for the yeast to settle onto. Don't know the tank geometry.

I have thought of tranfering some yeast into the corny when racking, then lagering on the side. Afraid of leaks, but I might try that some day if I have room in the lagering freeze. I can fit 8 standing up. Need to see how many go in laying down.

I've thought about krausening the beer while lagering but I would need a second fementation at high krausen in order to do that.  Maybe I'll experiment with that idea someday.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »

Right, that's what I typically do or have done and will continue to do.......

Tons of great info in this thread guys, thanks a bunch.  Hopefully we can keep it going...too bad Kai isn't around anymore.  Where's he been? He's been updating his blog, I see...just not into the forums anymore I guess.

Yes...I was visiting Kai's Blog and saw that he has two new articles in his blog this year. 

Beer color to mash pH (v2.0)

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beer_color_to_mash_pH_(v2.0)

Yeast Propagator

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeast_Propagator
Ron Price

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2012, 06:33:54 am »
Do you guys spend the money for cold yeast shipping or risk it? I don't have a local homebrew shop, at least one that doesn't carry enough to carry any fresh yeast. I want to buy yeast right now but it's so damn hot out and it's kind of pricey to get it shipped.  I'm thinking of either waiting until the weather breaks or just pay for the cold shipping option.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 07:30:47 am »
I get an ice pack, but that's about it.  Haven't had any issues but you have to make a starter.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:50 am »
I get an ice pack, but that's about it.  Haven't had any issues but you have to make a starter.....

Dave
Of course.  I may do the same and get the ice pack.  It usually takes 2 days to get my stuff, which isn't too bad.
Jesse

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2012, 07:53:52 am »
With summertime here, you can't be too safe with yeast, seeing how it sits on the delivery truck getting to the house. In the summer (with a 2 day ship), my icepacks are still a little cool to the touch, so it gives me a nice warm-n-fuzzy ;)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:18 am »

Dave
Of course.  I may do the same and get the ice pack.  It usually takes 2 days to get my stuff, which isn't too bad.

When I ordered from Midwest, it took 4 days.  No problem in the summer, but I did have one arrive frozen in the winter!   :o
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:14 am »
too bad Kai isn't around anymore.  Where's he been? He's been updating his blog, I see...just not into the forums anymore I guess.

I exchanged emails with him a few weeks back.  He's been very busy with real life, but was going to Australia to speak.  He hopes to be at NHC in Philly.

www.dennybrew.com