Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoking Chicken - Need Brine and Rub Recipes  (Read 27163 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Smoking Chicken - Need Brine and Rub Recipes
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »
So I decided to branch out from smoking ribs to trying a whole chicken this weekend.

Anyone have some recipes for a brine ( yes, it can include beer if you want ) and rubs for my maiden voyage into the smoked chicken world?

Most of the brines I've seen online say water, salt, & sugar and spices if you want.  The spices part is what I'm curious about.  I don't want to over do it. 

Thanks.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Smoking Chicken - Need Brine and Rub Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:12 pm »
Check out Sean Paxton's site http://www.homebrewchef.com/recipes.html

-Sent from the future.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:57:39 pm »
I usually keep it simple and my family loves the outcome.  I haven't ever done a brine but the meat stays moist as long as I keep the temp low.

I use a combo of Lowrey's seasoned salt, cumin, black pepper, a very small bit of cayenne and/or red pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  I don't really measure much.  8^(  I don't even mix a rub anymore, I just shake the spices on both sides, cover for a couple of hours and then into the smoke.

Most people will tell you I'm breaking all the rules and couldn't possibly make anything edible but it works for me.  I made 6 birds, one Friday, for a chicken salad that family members who "don't like smoked food" could not stop raving about.  Of course I cheated a bit using my Weber kettle to smoke 2 birds at a time for about 3 hours and then moved them to my gas grill (set really low) until the next 2 were done in the smoker.  Rotated the first two out and the next two in each time.  It was very tender, juicy and tasted great.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:22:30 pm »
In my recent experience, mopping the chicken while it smokes is important.

I did a couple whole chickens a few weeks back and forgot to mop them (went to a party and stayed too long).  They were good, but dry.

I did a ton of chicken last weekend for my son's first birthday (plus seven racks of ribs and a bacon explosion).  I kept the chicken moist with a mop sauce and it was awesome. 

The dry rub I use is brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, cayene, chili powder and maybe a touch of cumin (depending on my mood).

When I brined a turkey awhile back I threw typical turkey spices in the brine: rosemary, thyme, marjoram, not sure what else.  I smoked this on the Weber and it came out very well.

If I was baking a chicken, I'd probably use similar spices on it.  For smoking, I tend to go for the BBQ spices.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »
Whole chickens are easy and there's 1,000 ways to do it.  I've done chickens with and w/out a brine and no one could tell the difference.  I don't baste my chicken, but I have a spray bottle with some apple juice that I'll spray on them every now and then. I have an offset smoker, so I'll also keep a pan of apple juice and water under my meats to help keep them moist.  I would give you a rub recipe, but I don't think I've done the exact same ever.  I will suggest getting the rub up under the skin to help enhance the flavor of the meat.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »
I just use pickling spice mix (mustard seed, bay leaf, peppercorns, other stuff) that I get from the bulk store.  About a tbsp in a brine is enough for me.  I usually use it for pork roast but I've done chicken parts too.  Never a whole bird yet. 

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »
I don't know that you will be able to impart much herb flavor through your brine.  I would stick to a basic saltwater brine.  Lot of great rubs out there.  One thing that I definitely think helps is to rinse and dry the bird after brining followed by a light coat of oil.  Most rubs are oil soluble but not water soluble.

Don't over smoke it.  I use no more than 4oz of fruitwood.  Have fun with it.

YMMV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »
I put garlic and thyme in my chicken/turkey brines and you can definitely taste it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:40:53 pm »
This thread makes me hungry!

-Sent from the future.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:05:21 pm »
IIRC it's equal parts salt and sugar dissolved in one quart of warm water. One cup of each. Then whatever spices and maybe some citrus fruit slices. But nothing acidic or it's then called a marinade.

Brine chicken for a couple hours then pat dry and leave on rack uncovered in fridge overnight. Reseason if desired and place in smoker.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »
This is a real winner.  I got this recipe from another forum and it is extremely popular.

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I would also use this marinade prior to a rotisserie. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:53:39 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 07:02:52 pm »
I do like SlowBrew. No brine, just rub. The rub is never the same way twice. Just what ever fancy hits me at the time.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:26 pm »
There is a type of kiawe-smoked (Hawaiian mesquite) chicken sold roadside here in Hawaii called huli-huli chicken.  They are cooked over a kiawe fire on rotisseries (huli-huli means turn-turn).  I make them at home on my grill and turn them every five minutes instead of using a rotisserie.

Huli-huli chicken ROCKS!

Marinate your chicken at least a half hour (several hours mo bettah!).  Baste the chicken as you cook it.
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sherry
1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1-2-more pieces ginger root, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Worchestershire sauce to taste
Sriracha or Asian chili paste (or red pepper flakes) to taste
Squeeze a lemon in if you've got one

enough for three chickens, or so.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »

I like to keep it simple too - brine in apple juice with about a cup of salt, simple rub of coarse salt, pepper and sage. Smoke over apple wood, with apple juice in water pan. Oh, and I like to halve chicken and be sure to break joints.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:31:38 am by majorvices »

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58:20 pm »
Huli-huli chicken ROCKS!

Huli-Huli chicken is awesome!  We just got back from our condo in Maui and there are a couple of places off the S Kihei Rd where a few people will be grilling up some Huli-Huli.  We got a couple of chickens from a guy that was grilling about 2 dozen at a time at Kamaole III.  I remember growing up on Oahu, my dad and his friends would be doing Huli-Huli in our front yard when ever it was someone's birthday. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg