Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Backwoods Brewery  (Read 20682 times)

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Backwoods Brewery
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:07:10 am »
Thought I would take a few minutes to share the photos of the build for my new brewstand. The frame is based on the 2-tier Sabco stand in a reverse setup (left to right instead of right to left). It utilizes both gravity and a pump for liquid transfer. 2 Auber PID's regulate the HTL and MLT temperatures by opening and closing the valves on 2 Honeywell standing pilot solenoids. The control panel also features a master switch, a pump switch and a timer to help keep me on track with mash time, hop additions or whatever other time-sensitive tasks need to be accomplished on brewday. It is a low pressure gas rig with 2 BG12 style burners up top and 1 BG14 on the bottom tier.
The project was fairly quick and is a testament to hard work and open collaboration. I moved to the backwoods of Suffolk, VA and joined the brewclub BARF based out of Norfolk VA. When I realized I wanted to make a brewstand after pricing out prefabricated ones, the club was quick to offer suggestions and talent to help make it happen. Royal Damuth and Adam Shifflett were the first two to offer up their expertise. Adam was finishing up his own brewstand and had many valuable lessons to share that he had learned in building. Royal is a fantastic welder and took on the task of welding the frame together and offering up design input that was very concise and accurate. Together, we built one awesome brewstand that I use at home, which I have dubbed the Backwoods Brewery.
Enjoy these pics of the build and feel free to ask any questions or pass on suggestion that you might have. Cheers!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
Re: Backwoods Brewery
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:38 am »

Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:18:19 am »
Nice job!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:49 am »
Very nice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:10:53 am »
Great work!

FWIW on the March pump I have had much better success with mine oriented vertically with the "in" being on the bottom and the "out" being on top.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
Yeah, I think I might try that pump configuration. I havent had any priming problems yet, only brewed 3 batches so far. I really like only really needing to use 1 pump as well. I went with the new chugger pumps that just became available. It is a quiet little workhorse.
I think some quick disconnects are in the future as well. It is definitely a work in progress that works!
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:47 am »
sweet set-up.  What type of paint did you use on the frame?   I need to sand and re-paint my old brew-stand frame.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:33:00 am »
I just used some high temp spray paint from Lowes. It is usually called grill paint I believe. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:44:02 am »
I just used some high temp spray paint from Lowes. It is usually called grill paint I believe. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

Yep, i got a can from Lowes for 8 bucks I think. rated up to 2000 degrees. I did have to do a coat, cure it, then do another coat and cure again though.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:14:35 am »
Yep, i got a can from Lowes for 8 bucks I think. rated up to 2000 degrees. I did have to do a coat, cure it, then do another coat and cure again though.
This is true. You have to put a couple - if not a few - coats of paint for good coverage. I have seen no degradation of the finish since applying. It is solid.
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline mcdanis

• Cellarman
  • Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:04:48 am »
If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions?  I have planned a very similar design myself for use with keggles, but room to grow to half barrell batches in the future.  Looks like you have plenty of room with your keggles.  Looks great!
Snotter

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:24 am »
If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions?  I have planned a very similar design myself for use with keggles, but room to grow to half barrell batches in the future.  Looks like you have plenty of room with your keggles.  Looks great!

This thing is a beast! I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it could support a barrel if not more.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:22:43 am »
We took very similar dimensions as the Sabco rig but with a few little tweaks here and there. Those dimensions are available on the Sabco website.
It can very easily support much more weight, so there is PLENTY of room for growth. I think some diamond plate aluminum will go on the floor for some bling factor. The supports for the top tier burners were made out of diamond plate and it is definitely eye candy.
I really intend to put some more detailed photos up. There are some nice rigs with good builds out there, but there always seems to be some gaps in the build details. So that is in the works - maybe this evening :)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »
Nice build man. The controller and solenoids is way cool!
The BBQ paint is nice because if it ever starts to rust through, it's super easy to sand down and repair. I've used that stuff for headers and side pipes many times. Lay on 4 or more coats. Use a couple cans and it will last longer!

Impressive stuff - the build that is.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:54 pm »
Thanks man, there will be more mods in the future, but right now it is a mean brewing machine. I like that I don't have to lift pots until it is time to clean. I also like the audible remingders that it is time to add ingredients, as drinking while brewing tends to cloud my brewing timelines ;)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011