Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American wheat  (Read 9798 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
American wheat
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:34 pm »
    so i was thinking of making an American Wheat beer, i wanted to make it hoppier than normal. I like the balance between the wheat and hops. Does this recipe look good?

6.6 pounds, wheat malt extract
    1--1/2 pounds, dark dry malt
    1--1/2 pounds, crystal malt
    1 pound, wheat malt
    1/2 pound, wheat flakes
    1/4 pound, chocolate malt
    2 ounces, of Hallertauer hops (Alpha 4.2) for full boil
    1/2 ounce, Saaz hops (Alpha ??) for 20 minutes
    1/2 ounce, Saaz hops to finish
    yeast
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American wheat
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »
    so i was thinking of making an American Wheat beer, i wanted to make it hoppier than normal. I like the balance between the wheat and hops. Does this recipe look good?

6.6 pounds, wheat malt extract
    1--1/2 pounds, dark dry malt
    1--1/2 pounds, crystal malt
    1 pound, wheat malt
    1/2 pound, wheat flakes
    1/4 pound, chocolate malt
    2 ounces, of Hallertauer hops (Alpha 4.2) for full boil
    1/2 ounce, Saaz hops (Alpha ??) for 20 minutes
    1/2 ounce, Saaz hops to finish
    yeast

I don't know why you want to add dark extract and chocolate malt, but that's a personal choice I guess.  1 1/2 lb. of crystal is a bad idea in extract beer.  There are plenty of unfermentables in there already.  You'll need to do a minimash for the wheat malt and flaked wheat.  The wheat may may have enough distatic power to convert the flakes, but if it was me I'd add at least .5 lb. of pale malt to be safe. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »
Looks like a dunklewiezen... 10gal I presume? Looks fine, definately not to style but go for it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »
5gal, and yeah i'm not to concerned with staying the official guidelines. This will be my 3rd attempt at a homebrew and my friend will joining me this time and we both like wheat beers, but wanted a little more "bite" to them.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »

I don't know why you want to add dark extract and chocolate malt, but that's a personal choice I guess.  1 1/2 lb. of crystal is a bad idea in extract beer.  There are plenty of unfermentables in there already.  You'll need to do a minimash for the wheat malt and flaked wheat.  The wheat may may have enough distatic power to convert the flakes, but if it was me I'd add at least .5 lb. of pale malt to be safe.
[/quote]

So if I sub the dark malt with pale malt that would still get a "amber color" and then decrease the crystal malt does that sound better? Would you add anything else?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
American wheat
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »

So if I sub the dark malt with pale malt that would still get a "amber color" and then decrease the crystal malt does that sound better? Would you add anything else?
[/quote]

Yeah, you'll still get an amber color.  What you had originally would have made it real dark.  I don't really have any other suggestions about what to add since I can't really tell what you want to end up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »
I guess we want some sort of dunklewiezen/wheat pale ale style. the desired color is less important than the balance between the wheat and hops.

Also what  type of yeast would work best?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
American wheat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:40:17 pm »
I guess we want some sort of dunklewiezen/wheat pale ale style. the desired color is less important than the balance between the wheat and hops.

Also what  type of yeast would work best?

A dunkelweizen uses a traditional German wheat yeast, like WY3068.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »
but... you sound like you want an american wheat, both white labs and wyeast have an 'american wheat' strain...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
American wheat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »
but... you sound like you want an american wheat, both white labs and wyeast have an 'american wheat' strain...

Yep....I'm confused.  He said he wants an Am. wheat in the first ost, but changed to a dunkelweizen later.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:14:20 pm »
I've made a dunkel with 001. It was very good. I don't make it often, because I'm not that much of a wheat fan anymore.

I do not like 3068.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:38 pm »
yeah we wanted to do more of and American style wheat vs Belgian , but it seems like this recipe is more like a dunkelwiezen vs an American wheat.
hence the confusion, i think i will go with a dunkelweizen style.
However, does anybody have a good American Wheat that could be hopped up?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »
American wheat is a pretty wide open style so you can do what ever you want.
You're first recipe would look a lot more like Wheat Stout than American Wheat in my opinion.

If you want an American Wheat style, I do one that's AG but you could take a shot at it as an extract.  I also wouldn't bother with a bunch of specialty grains, just a bit for colour should do. 
I'd start with 7 or 8 lbs wheat extract (which as I understand is actually 50/50 wheat/pale or pilsner).
1 - 2 oz black patent added to the water as you heat it up but remove it before it boils.
1/2 oz magnum or other high alpha bittering hop
1 oz saaz or hallertauer (or you could go with an American style hop such as Cascade, centennial etc.)
1/2 oz saaz to at finish. 

Personally, this beer needs to be clean and balanced.  I think your original recipe was a bit too complex.  I'd start simple and then modify.  You say you wan't hoppy but do you want bitter or flavour?  I'd ramp up my late additions to get more hops up front.  Sort of an APA with wheat instead of pure pale. 

As for yeast, my go-to for American wheat is WLP001. 

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »
American wheat is a pretty wide open style so you can do what ever you want.
You're first recipe would look a lot more like Wheat Stout than American Wheat in my opinion.

If you want an American Wheat style, I do one that's AG but you could take a shot at it as an extract.  I also wouldn't bother with a bunch of specialty grains, just a bit for colour should do. 
I'd start with 7 or 8 lbs wheat extract (which as I understand is actually 50/50 wheat/pale or pilsner).
1 - 2 oz black patent added to the water as you heat it up but remove it before it boils.
1/2 oz magnum or other high alpha bittering hop
1 oz saaz or hallertauer (or you could go with an American style hop such as Cascade, centennial etc.)
1/2 oz saaz to at finish. 

Personally, this beer needs to be clean and balanced.  I think your original recipe was a bit too complex.  I'd start simple and then modify.  You say you wan't hoppy but do you want bitter or flavour?  I'd ramp up my late additions to get more hops up front.  Sort of an APA with wheat instead of pure pale. 

As for yeast, my go-to for American wheat is WLP001.

Thanks for the suggestion, that makes sense. the i think the original recipe poster called mine a hoppy amber wheat

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
American wheat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 05:37:54 am »
yeah we wanted to do more of and American style wheat vs Belgian , but it seems like this recipe is more like a dunkelwiezen vs an American wheat.
hence the confusion, i think i will go with a dunkelweizen style.
However, does anybody have a good American Wheat that could be hopped up?

First things first: a dunkleweizen is a German style not Belgian. Also, I agree with Denny that you don't need all that crystal malt, especially in conjunction with a dark malt extract. The problem with dark malt extract is that you don't know what the original brewer put into the wort in the first place - he may have already loaded it up with crystal and roasted malts. Best to use a light malt extract and then add specialty color malts to get the color and flavor you want, otherwise you are shooting in the dark (no pun intended).  All grain brewers use pale malts as the base malt for the majority of their grist, unless we are talking something like Munich or Vienna, in which case you would need to verify if the extract is 100% Munich or Vienna.

So in your case, if you want an "American dunkleweizen" let's say you go with a pale wheat base malt extract (most of which are 50% wheat and 50% pils, or there abouts) for the majority of your grist and a mini mash with Munich/wheat malt/and chocolate wheat (or chocolate malt) and about 5% crystal malt such as cara Munich. You'll have to figure out the calculations for the grain bill, of course, but I think this approach not only will give you more control over the outcome of the final beer but will also give you something much closer to what you actually want to drink.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:59:30 am by majorvices »