Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiling out a ball valve  (Read 9958 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Boiling out a ball valve
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:58:08 pm »
I decided to remove my boil kettle's brass ball valve to get a look inside of it, and clean it.  Obviously, my brew-to-brew cleaning procedure needs improvement in the area of the valve, as evidenced by the build up inside the valve.  In the future, I think I'll be running boiling water through it after every brew session.  But now, since I have the valve in hand, can I boil it out on the stovetop, and see what grime I can remove?  Is there a cleanser that I should add to the boiling water?  Oxiclean...TSP?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Boiling out a ball valve
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:18:03 pm »
You can take it apart and soak it in hot PBW.
Brew on

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:02:02 am »
I remember seeing something about using oxiclean and boiling water so i looked it up on their site:

OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover works in any temperature water, but best in warm to hot water. Do NOT use boiling water.

It doesn't say why but i'm sure theres a good reason.

More info here: Oxiclean FAQ
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »
Actually, automatic dishwashing detergent worked great in a pot of boiling water.  Finished it with a long brush that fits the inner valve.  Almost like new.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »
I remember seeing something about using oxiclean and boiling water so i looked it up on their site:

OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover works in any temperature water, but best in warm to hot water. Do NOT use boiling water.

It doesn't say why but i'm sure theres a good reason.

More info here: Oxiclean FAQ

Since it cleans with the power of oxygen & boiling water drives the oxygen out, I have to conlude that it is rendered somewhat useless. Also, I can imagine that the reaction may be a bit violent.

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:16:25 am »
Boiling water removes the oxygen.
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:06 am »
Another thing to think about here is that, unless the buildup is interfering with the operation of the valve, or you are noticing an off flavour that you can connect to the buildup, you might just want to leave it there. You don't really want raw, shiny brass in contact with your wort and in fact it's good practice to boil the brass valve in water for a while after cleaning to re-passivate (lay down a layer of oxidized metal to protect the brass surfaces). I think this has to do with lead in the brass so I don't know if it's still really needed but perhaps others can speak to that.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:29:35 am »
After cleaning what ever all my ball valves are connected to, I like to leave them half open. this allows the air exposure throughout the assembly and has really cut down on all the times I used to break them down. Leaving them closed seemed to leave about a teaspoon or two of liquid trapped that would get just plain nasty. I do put my valves from my conical through my pressure cooker on a regular basis, even if I don't see any buildup.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:34:15 pm »
I don't think PBW cleans with oxygen, its peroxide that oxidizes the gunk.  Theres a lot of O2 formed during the process though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »
I have a Blichmann Fermenator that has two ball valves.  It is recommended to boil the valves (open) in tap water for 10min to remove any organic soils within the valve. This is the recommendation of the manufacturer. My ball valves are three pc. stainless steel.
Ron Price

Offline jody

• 1st Kit
  • If Your Gonna be Dumb, You Gotta be Tough!
    • The Home of Walla Walla
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:05:48 am »
after brewing I clean immediately with PBW and warm water, while recirculating the PBW through the system it is smart to open and close your ball valves slowly several times to flush out the valve, then I drain my grant, and replace it with Acid #5 mixture and jack the valves the same, after that, I drain the acid mixture and rinse with very hot water. you must take your valves off and open and close to drain the water from behind the ball and store at 1/4 turn on end so they will drain..

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:12:56 am »
I have a Blichmann Fermenator that has two ball valves.  It is recommended to boil the valves (open) in tap water for 10min to remove any organic soils within the valve. This is the recommendation of the manufacturer. My ball valves are three pc. stainless steel.

Have you ever opened those up and cleaned them?  I have 3 of those 3 piece Blichmanns, and never had.  Maybe I will soon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline johnnaranjo@yahoo.com

• 1st Kit
Boiling out a ball valve
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 11:58:27 am »
I always rinse before and after use. Then during the boil I run several quarts of the boiling wort through the valve, recycling periodically especially as I get closer to flame out. Just want to make sure that all areas inside the valve have been exposed to the high temps of the boil. But that's for boil kettle valves, I don't use valve on fermentors (wish I had that problem)   

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 07:26:37 am »
I don't think PBW cleans with oxygen, its peroxide that oxidizes the gunk.  Theres a lot of O2 formed during the process though.

+1 Tom ... the concept of these cleaners not working with boiling water (primarily due to a lack of oxygen??) is somewhat misleading... especially since the water is typically no longer boiling once you add the cleaner and the object to be cleaned, into it..As soon as you begin to stir up this concoction, you are re-adding oxygen back into the solution... unless the intent was to maintain heat and maintain the boil while submersing the object into it... then I would ask why would you want to do that with these types of cleaners to begin with?? These cleaners were devised so that you would not have to resort to a boiling solution in order to be effective... jmho... cheers!!
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »
Even with opening/closing the valve there will still be junk left inside.  I take them apart once a year and I am always surprised at what's still in there.
Brew on