Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch 500  (Read 11529 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Batch 500
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »
No, not me.

We have a local homebrewer who only makes extract batches and brewed his 500th batch on February 28, 2012. Someone checked some old notes and found he discussed batch 295 back on October 14, 1998. So 205 batches in 13 years 4 months. Using rough math that comes out to 160 months or a batch every 3 weeks.

That's impressive!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Batch 500
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
I am impressed.  We brew twice a month or so in the cold months, then don't brew so we can enjoy that beer in the warm months.  Lookign forward to being out on the deck with a Helles or a Pilsner in hand (kept in the shade to avoid skunking)!

So I am saying we are slackers.  Around batch 300+, not concerned with the count these days.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:22 pm »
VERY IMPRESSIVE.  I brew 5 gallons every other week, about 26 batches a year and I have been pretty consistent with that for 6 years.  So, I estimate I have brewed approximately 150, not close to 500 though.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:35:31 pm »
Assuming they were all 5 gal batches that's 2,500 gallons of beer. Nice work!  :)
Ron Price

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:43:30 pm »
Very impressive, but all extract???

Isn't there a point in your brewing career that you want to make that last big step?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »
Very cool.  I was just starting to brew shortly before he did 295 and I'm at 416 as of last weekend.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:45:21 pm »

Isn't there a point in your brewing career that you want to make that last big step?

If he's happy doing what he's doing, why should he change?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

Yes that's a good point, but there's another way to look at it. I could have stopped at a high school education, but I went further. I could have continued making wood projects with a circular saw, but I went further and got a radial saw, planer, etc. In all cases, I bettered myself by taking that next step.

I've seen many times where people say they're happy making beer with their unaltered tap water or fermenting at room temperature, yet many, yourself included,  post back and tell them to make changes. How is my comment any different?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Batch 500
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:20 pm »

Yes that's a good point, but there's another way to look at it. I could have stopped at a high school education, but I went further. I could have continued making wood projects with a circular saw, but I went further and got a radial saw, planer, etc. In all cases, I bettered myself by taking that next step.

I've seen many times where people say they're happy making beer with their unaltered tap water or fermenting at room temperature, yet many, yourself included,  post back and tell them to make changes. How is my comment any different?

Well, for one thing, it's a hobby, not prep for life like school.  I get your second point, but because i's a hobby it's his decision how he wants to approach it.  Sure, I might encourage him to give AG a try, but if he's not interested that's the end of the conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:30 pm »

Well, for one thing, it's a hobby, not prep for life like school.  I get your second point, but because i's a hobby it's his decision how he wants to approach it.  Sure, I might encourage him to give AG a try, but if he's not interested that's the end of the conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And all I did was ask about "all grain" as possibly being a changing point in his brewing carrier. Sorry, but it seems we are on the same page.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »
Wow. I've been doing this for 5 years and don't think there's 100 under my belt. Despite the weight gain...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 10:21:14 pm »
Denny you are one class act.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:52 pm »

have you malted your own grain yet? what about growing it? there is no last big step. it just keeps going. up and I don't know where it's going to stop!!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:26 am »
Be sure and congratulate the guy for us, that is quite an acheivement.  Just being a brewer for 25+ years is something special.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:47 am »
have you malted your own grain yet? what about growing it? there is no last big step. it just keeps going. up and I don't know where it's going to stop!!!!

[Public Service Announcement]

As a chronic sufferer of of YDIW, I struggle with my disease every day. YDIW is a social-skills disorder that Internet forum members are at heightened risk of developing. Others at heightened risk include religious fundamentalists, sports fans, and advice columnists. The only known treatment for YDIW is "No one cares what you think!" It should be applied liberally whenever YDIW flares up.

I don't ask for you pity, only your understanding. Together, we can beat YDIW!

[end transmission]
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.