Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 233605 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2012, 12:25:41 pm »
Another trick for converting lawn to beds is to cut an outline around the bed by pressing straight down with a spade all around. Then you just treat it like sod and flip the whole section over like a carpet. The grass breaks down real quick and becomes good earthworm food.

As far as your pond goes, if you can't do fish maybe invest in some ducks instead. They're great bug control for the garden, and you get tasty eggs as a bonus.

And coyotes and other varmints love them.  :D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2012, 06:31:28 pm »
As far as your pond goes, if you can't do fish maybe invest in some ducks instead. They're great bug control for the garden, and you get tasty eggs as a bonus.

And coyotes and other varmints love them.  :D

Yeah, that's the main reason why I haven't sprung for some birds myself. As cute as the 5 red fox kits were that were playing in the lot next door all summer last year, they won't be so cute if I start raising poultry. And the 3 red-tailed hawks that were circling my yard in the air yesterday would be a whole lot less awesome too :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:08 pm »
I always thought those upright runner ducks would be comedy cruising about the yard. ;D

The chickens have been in my garden.
I thought it was cute when the newborn chicks started scratching around in there.
Now they think they own the place
and really have nearly destroyed my fall spinach that overwintered as rosettes and is supposed to be first greens!

They do some good rototiller and fertilizer work, but it is about time for them to be excluded.

I might get some peas in tomorrow.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:39 pm »
Ordered honey bees!!!, Onion seeds start 6 weeks at least before replanting. In the north part of the US look for day neutral onions.

Euge just order fill and let the water  be someone elses problem, JK.

Sad but we are 80 days away from last frost, sucks seeing it was 75 today. We do have some lettuce started though.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2012, 03:01:45 pm »
This is where I got most of my onion info.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/onions/oniongro.html

I plan to spray some herbicide down to kill the grass, then turn it after a couple of days. Then the raised beds will be filled. I will lay mulch and perhaps gravel around the planters to keep the grass at bay. It will grow up the inside and is a real PITA to eradicate.

. remember those grass roots, although annoying will break down and add structure to your soil!
That all depends on what kind of grass you have.  Bermuda grass sends underground runners to the slightest hint of moisture, and no amount of mulch, black plastic, newspaper, etc will affect it.
That's why this year I built boxes-sides, bottoms and ends to keep the grass out.  So far I have spinach, radishes, carrots, beets, onions and potatoes coming up.
I've been picking asparagus for a week now and it's just getting started.  Shallots and garlic volunteers are coming up looking great, and next week I'll plant squash and tomatoes.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:55 pm »
Wow, things are way ahead in sunny Carlsbad!  You plant your shallots in the fall?

I spent the weekend in the yard,
tearing down last years hops, hauling compost, doing some cultivation with my favorite hoe....
and harvesting some carrots:  yum

There are house carrots and there are horse carrots. 
Not sure why some go wild with the laterals  ::)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »
There are house carrots and there are horse carrots. 
Not sure why some go wild with the laterals  ::)

Check out Root Knot Nematodes.  As in...

http://californiaagriculture.ucanr.org/landingpage.cfm?article=ca.v059n02p63&fulltext=yes
Joe

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:49 pm »
Wow, that's an ugly carrot! Nothing compared to yours, but here's an inappropriate carrot I harvested last summer:
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2012, 08:45:00 am »
I stood up some beds this weekend.

Here are the onions I planted.

The thing about those that went to flower last year, is that they all came up again this spring!
I hacked one with the hoe, it looked like this

I split it into 6, and planted as individual starts.  Will see how that goes.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:33 am »
Finally got the rest of the garden turned over and desodded (it's a new garden for us) now to dig paths and decide where everything is going. Got the potatoes in the mail this week so, aside from the shock of discovering I just paid 13 bucks for 2.5 lbs of french fingerlings, I am ready to plant my potato patch. anyone know why I can't just buy potatoes at 2.50 a lb or whatever for planting? I used to think it had something to do with the age of the spud and perhaps I am right but gosh!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2012, 10:33:09 am »
It may be a little late to plant potatoes or is that too early? ;)

I understand you can plant those from the store- just cut up each tuber so that each piece has an "eye".
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2012, 11:56:46 am »
Wow, we're waiting for the last of the snow we had last week to melt off the garden!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2012, 12:22:11 pm »
It may be a little late to plant potatoes or is that too early? ;)

I understand you can plant those from the store- just cut up each tuber so that each piece has an "eye".
I hope it's not to late! I got the earliest shipping date i could from seed savers exchange. It's still pretty cold and wet here. There is even a touch of frost on my car some mornings.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »
Finally got the rest of the garden turned over and desodded (it's a new garden for us) now to dig paths and decide where everything is going. Got the potatoes in the mail this week so, aside from the shock of discovering I just paid 13 bucks for 2.5 lbs of french fingerlings, I am ready to plant my potato patch. anyone know why I can't just buy potatoes at 2.50 a lb or whatever for planting? I used to think it had something to do with the age of the spud and perhaps I am right but gosh!
Walmart was selling seed potatoes -$4 for 6 spuds.  I went to the veggie aisle and got a 10 pound bag for $3, put them in a cardboard box in the garage for a month until they sprouted.  I planted them 2 weeks ago and the plants are already about 4" high.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 03:23:05 pm »
The old farmers rules I grew up with were:

1)  Plant potatoes on Good Friday (not till next week this year)
2)  Don't plant if you sit on the ground and you rear end gets cold

We always got plenty of spuds every year so you should be fine with your current planting schedule.  Even if this year has been been a bit warmer than usual.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?