Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 233792 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #720 on: March 11, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »
Excellent!     Gardening 2015

Hard to believe this:

Will become this:

Awesome.......Yes!..glad you figured out pic posting. :)

I'm really looking forward to the growing season.

! another Redbird house project! 8)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #721 on: March 12, 2015, 07:05:50 am »
Don't know if I'm going to get a garden in this year. Lot's of stuff on the list first. The garden I left in California is probably doing well about now, assuming the chickens haven't eaten everything.

This year is about getting land, figuring out where everything is going to go (house, garden, etc.) and making a start on it. next year will be gardening time. Maybe a food forest.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #722 on: March 12, 2015, 07:29:07 am »
The major advantage of raised beds is the "no weeding" part. :D Looks like I'll be putting in carrots in the next week or so based in your schedule.

I put mine in Late April early May last year, and didn't harvest till the week a frost was expected in October. We had a bonanza of carrots last year. Big uniform size. So so so tasty.
Kyle M.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #723 on: March 12, 2015, 07:55:46 am »

What a great list Amanda! Mine is pretty similar.

I would love to grow leeks. Next year, I think I will make a raised bed with very sandy soil just for leeks. I've had no success with sweet potatoes. Just really pretty vines that spread everywhere. I've been told that you need to put down black plastic over the bed to generate a ton of heat to get them to really produce.

Pinnah: I thought I planted beets last year, but when I went to harvest them, it was carrots. I'm planning on it this year. Borscht is one of our favorite meals. Beets roasted with seasame oil and a ton of garlic is pretty dang good too.

Our garden is going to be huge this year.  :D

Lots of rasberries, gooseberries, elderberries, and blackberries to purchase and plant. My list for things to plant this year includes:
Rhubarb
tomatoes
various greens
various herbs
Need to plant garlic in the fall
peas
green beans
beets
carrots
hot peppers
sweet peppers
fingerling potatoes

Gonna put in about 1000 sq feet of wildflowers. Acreage is gonna get  spring green manure Johnny's with some oilseed radish, followed by the fall green manure and a grain of some sort.
Kyle M.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:58 pm »
This year is about getting land, figuring out where everything is going to go (house, garden, etc.) and making a start on it. next year will be gardening time. Maybe a food forest.

Wow, congratulations man. A new start
with all that west coast learnin.

Carrot are probably my favorite.
My main problem with them is getting them to germinate and not dry out
so your burlap idea intrigues me Pete...do you keep it mashed flush with the ground surface?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #725 on: March 13, 2015, 06:10:33 am »
Yea. The local farmers co-op sells 50' rolls cheap. I cut it in 1/2 the long way an then fold it so there is a double layer and put it on a freshly sowed row. It solves the problem of carrots being not so great germinators by keeping them moist and the problem of carrots not competing well with weeds by giving them a head start. Take it up as soon as the plants poke through. Don't seed as heavily as normal because of the high germination rate
. Last year we couldn't keep up with thinning using this method. This year we'll mix the seeds with dirt to thin them out.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #726 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:06 am »
Pinnah, you could always start the seeds in a soil blocks and then transplant.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #727 on: March 13, 2015, 08:26:49 pm »
Pinnah, you could always start the seeds in a soil blocks and then transplant.
Tap-rooted vegetables like carrots generally don't transplant well. And its a lot more work.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #728 on: March 16, 2015, 10:12:44 am »
Well some times you have to go to great lengths with a garden to get some things to grow, it depends on your desire and length growing season.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #729 on: March 16, 2015, 04:41:43 pm »
I'm more than doubling the size of the garden this year. Added a couple citrus trees and an arbequina type olive sapling.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #730 on: March 16, 2015, 06:57:47 pm »
I'm more than doubling the size of the garden this year. Added a couple citrus trees and an arbequina type olive sapling.
Hey, same here! Just started tonight after work. Adding 4 more beds and 4 apple trees while taking out on useless tree. It was nearly 80 today! I can barely believe how beautiful it is here, but I'm taking advantage of it.

Stage 1: started! :D

And good to see you back euge!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:48:53 pm by AmandaK »
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #731 on: March 17, 2015, 07:03:52 am »
Well hell yea Euge!  Very cool to see you back here in the Garden Thread.
Hope all is well; like the new look.

Wow Amanda...you have oodles of space there!  Your mini orchard could turn into a regular orchard preety quick.  Are you sourcing your apple trees locally?  I have had some pretty poor luck ordering trees through the mail...they always seem to be spindly sticks that take forever to get cracking.

Boulder!  You still have any time to garden?  Owning a brewery might be cutting into you food preservation time?

I finally cut down all my residual hop plants.  Wow the smell of shattering lupulin was amazing in March.
Planted a few rows of carrots, lettuce, spinach, bok choy chard and a few early beets.
Have not tried the burlap yet...but if it gets much hotter I might.  Record heat here today.
It sure is nice, but we will pay for it later in the water year.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #732 on: March 17, 2015, 08:17:35 am »
This year my vegetable/fruit garden is mostly peppers. I overwintered a thai bird's eye chile plant in the house that will be replanted outdoors soon. I ordered my usual jalapeno and hatch chiles for this year. I'm also ordering a white habanero. I'm not sure what I am going to do with all those habaneros but I'll figure something out. I have spring onions back outside after overwintering. I am going to give tomatoes their last attempt this year. I have a handful of herbs and my hops still going from prior years. I am also giving ground cherries an attempt this year.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #733 on: March 17, 2015, 08:43:13 am »
Well hell yea Euge!  Very cool to see you back here in the Garden Thread.
Hope all is well; like the new look.

Wow Amanda...you have oodles of space there!  Your mini orchard could turn into a regular orchard preety quick.  Are you sourcing your apple trees locally?  I have had some pretty poor luck ordering trees through the mail...they always seem to be spindly sticks that take forever to get cracking.

Boulder!  You still have any time to garden?  Owning a brewery might be cutting into you food preservation time?

I finally cut down all my residual hop plants.  Wow the smell of shattering lupulin was amazing in March.
Planted a few rows of carrots, lettuce, spinach, bok choy chard and a few early beets.
Have not tried the burlap yet...but if it gets much hotter I might.  Record heat here today.
It sure is nice, but we will pay for it later in the water year.

Last fall I was so busy I didn't know one end from the other, this year I hope to have more time. If I can find a couple decent helpers at the brewery and keep ahead of demand.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #734 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:30 am »

Wow! That should keep you busy.