Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "The Grand Timeline"  (Read 24886 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: "The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
I just hope, before it crashes, that competition will drive down the prices. It's getting ridiculous. A pint of beer selling for $6, $7, $8 and even more in some places. Pitchers upwards of $20. Happy hour knocks off a buck. BFD.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:46:24 pm by bo »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 06:46:26 am »
Prices are dependent on cost of ingredients and energy and materials, especially kegs. It seems like no matter how many you own you always need more, and any time you need kegs you can expect to drop at least 5k.

The more likely scenario is that the mid to large size craft brewers will lower their prices enough to make if difficult for small regional breweries to compete.

If you want to support you small, local brewery (who, incidentally is Helping to support the local economy by doing business locally) then don't scoff at paying more for a pint. If you want there to be a local brewery you are going to have to help support it. Remember, the guy making your beer is probably making less than you are.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?axzrvi

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:06 am »
When I take my wife out to eat, the only cause I'm supporting is our own. We want good beer, good food and good service at reasonable prices. Restaurants that offer that are who we support. The bus boy probably makes less than me or the guy that works for the guy making the beer. I can't save the world.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:16 am »
Not asking to save the world, bud. You should probably just drink water and quit griping. :)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 07:58:28 am »
Not asking to save the world, bud. You should probably just drink water and quit griping. :)

I don't believe I am the one gripping here. Just stating my opinion.

Even though we disagree with each other sometimes, at least I am courteous to you and I don't take it to a personal level as you do with me and many others.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 08:23:58 am »
Uhm, ok, I guess. I thought you were complaining about the price of pints. Not sure how I am misreading that. And I am confused on how I took it "personal" with you or any one else.

But, to stay on topic, as I mentioned above, the cost of ingredients is the driving factor in the cost of your pint. You brought up bus boys, which has nothing to do with anything. Craft beer is expensive, I wish the ingredients were less expensive because then the beer would much less expensive to make. As homebrewers surely everyone here has seen the cost of ingredients skyrocket over the last several years. Don't be shocked to see the cost of your pints go up too.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:32:11 am by majorvices »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 08:31:48 am »
Uhm, ok, I guess. I thought you were complaining about the price of pints. Not sure how I am misreading that.

But, to stay on topic, as I mentioned above, the cost of ingredients is the driving factor in the cost of your pint. You brought up bus boys, which has nothing to do with anything. Craft beer is expensive, I wish the ingredients we're less expensive because then the beer would much less expensive to make. As homebrewers surely everyone here has seen the cost of ingredients skyrocket over the last several years. Don't be shocked to see the cost of your pints go up too.

Yes, I was commenting or complaining about prices, which is a valid, but I don't think that deserved the "drink water and quit gripping" comment. I could say the same to you. Quit whining about all of the negative things related to your brewery and all of the hard work and long hours. Get another job. If I did, that would be rude of me and  I apologize, in advance, for stating that as an example.

Yes, some beers require more ingredients or more expensive ones, but I've been to places that charge $5 for most of their craft beers, but $7 for an IPA. Come on, it doesn't cost that much more for a few hops and a little more grain.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
"The Grand Timeline"
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2012, 08:38:52 am »
I was only trying to point out that water is cheaper.;) seriously, I am surprised that you offended by my comment. Wasn't my intention. And I'm not complaining about my business. I'm trying to give people who want to go pro an insight. I believe I have stated several times that "I love it".

Also, I think you missed the point where I said breweries and brewers were often struggling to survive. They charge what they charge to simply stay in business. They can't give it all away (though they certainly give lots of it away). But enough, I will not comment in this thread anymore.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:41:37 am by majorvices »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:35 am »
But enough, I will not comment in this thread anymore.

Me either.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2012, 08:59:42 am »
I agree though with everyone and their brother opening up a brewery something's gotta give.

Hence why some of us that have been around for awhile are somewhat skeptical, and trying to offer some cautionary advice.  You need to know what you are getting into, not just the work and cost involved in setting up a brewery, but the market you are getting into.  I'm not saying craft beer has "peaked," but the unprecedented growth in new breweries is likely not sustainable/viable, even in the short term.  Instead of one shaky new brewery in a single market that can stumble along for years until finally getting their act together (ie; Anchor, Sierra Nevada, DFH, etc ad nauseum), you might have 6-12 shaky breweries opening in a single year, and there are also some established stable breweries in the area/region that you are in competition with.

I don't want to see it happen, I hope it doesn't happen, and there will indeed be many new successful breweries, but anyone with a basic understanding of economics can look at the craft beer sector and see that many of these new operations likely won't survive the next 5 years.  I am not saying YOUR brewery or YOUR dream of a brewery can't make it, and I give full credit to anyone with guts to give it a try, but as the saying goes, "only the strong survive."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:04:33 am by markaberrant »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »
My beer isn;t nearly good enough to sell IMO. :D

I've got other ideas on how to open a business with what I have learned from homebrewing. And a brewery isn;t one of them. 8)

Anyway, good luck to all that choose to go that route. I root for you- just let us know how it turns out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2012, 09:34:04 pm »
I hear you wiley, I'll let you know how to get 7BBL Kettle and mash tun off a car trailer if you share your fermentor unloading secrets!

I want to say that you can do this, on your budget. You will need around 50 to 100k for what you need not counting your property. If you plan to do it on the cheap hit craigs list twice daily. I missed out on a $2800 chiller that sold for $200 by 2 hours. Doing it on a budget can be done that is how we are doing it. So you got to hit every place that you can find cheap equipment that you can make work. I can still mortgage the house to pay for the brewery but as Omar said don't mortgage you house to build your brewery, you may need to mortgage it to buy a canner later on! 

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »
I just hope, before it crashes, that competition will drive down the prices. It's getting ridiculous. A pint of beer selling for $6, $7, $8 and even more in some places. Pitchers upwards of $20. Happy hour knocks off a buck. BFD.
You know I really hate to admit it but the prices of craft beer are getting to be a little out of control. I say this fully admitting that I am a thrifty... ok cheap.. homebrewer. It is pretty easy to go out and spend 20-30 bucks on 3-4 beers at a brewery.  I know that I can make between 5-10 gallons of homebrew for the same amount of money. Thank goodness my local brewery also has a homebrew shop. I want to support them but...I am not made of money ;D

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »
That is why our tap house will be serving pints less than 4, we feel at 4 you cross the line. If costs dictate maybe we will resize the glassware.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »
That is why our tap house will be serving pints less than 4, we feel at 4 you cross the line. If costs dictate maybe we will resize the glassware.

20oz imperial pints of craft beer start at about $8 in Canada.  Paying $5 or less for a 16oz pint in the US is a great deal for us when we visit!