Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Brewery and Alehouse-Shed  (Read 95810 times)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Re: My Brewery and Alehouse-Shed
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:41 am »
+1 My brewing area is right next to the floor drain.

Offline mybrewshop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:21 pm »
We should call this, "Pimp my tool shed".  Drool, Drool.  The green eyed monster has me!  A couple of things to add are, 1.) 50 flat screen, size does matter, and 2.) a deep fryer for the chicken wings! ;D
"A man needs to eat."  -Angel Batista; Dexter

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:26 am »
I just put together a slideshow from my blog , thought I would share this , a larger look at the three sheds on this property.

http://www.slide.com/r/DzbUAOLm6D8Cmri1EAPV7Px-OQRR69ND?previous_view=TICKER&previous_action=TICKER_ITEM_CLICK&ciid=2738188573960234835

Brewing up history

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 10:22:55 am »
I just put together a slideshow from my blog , thought I would share this , a larger look at the three sheds on this property.

http://www.slide.com/r/DzbUAOLm6D8Cmri1EAPV7Px-OQRR69ND?previous_view=TICKER&previous_action=TICKER_ITEM_CLICK&ciid=2738188573960234835

Awesome!

I'm almost afraid to ask how much you have invested in the Alehouse alone.
Ron Price

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28:54 pm »
Thank you !

Believe it or not , in the Brewshed , I literally built everything myself . the bar , the dartboard case, the cabinetry, the Irish Coffin box ..etc . The brew system I built 3 years ago , the commercial ref. I bought for $80 , the commercial sink for $110 , there are lots of donations from friends , 2 sets of barstools  laptop, Indian , TV , even the A/C etc .  the hard costs ( wiring, drywall , paint, hot water heater ) , I think those costs where about $3,500 , really not too bad for a great place to hang out and brew , the cottage ,nothing but paint and some hard work .
The only thing that cost me (and my family) was time, but I refused any help on the project , I wanted to do everything myself ( thus the many donations) , people felt sorry for me I guess , but I work better alone and without distraction ...I post this for other brewers hoping to spur some inspiration , take a little bit from everyone and then make your own ideas come to life .
Brewing up history

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:41 pm »
Ok, the shamless plug and bump for the shed and my film , at least Drew is mentioned  , but what happen to Denny ?

Today's Forbes Magazine :

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0628/life-beer-homebrew-bowen-allsopps-artic-extreme-brewing.html

vid here:

http://video.forbes.com/fvn/forbeslife/americas-coolest-home-brewery
Brewing up history

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 09:14:41 pm »
Drew Beechum, a computer programmer in Pasadena, Calif., says he's spent $25,000 jetting across the globe, snatching up yeast strains like a butterfly collector from British taps, Belgian Trappist monasteries and Bavarian beer halls.

I hope those made some damn good beers Drew  :D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brewnickbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2010, 02:06:04 am »
mrbowenz,
I've had long conversations with my wife regarding your brew shed.
I may have her convinced to let me move all the items from my shed into the garage and move the brew stuff out there.
 - I think she is just trying to get rid of me   ;D

Very nice by the way.

-Nick

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2010, 03:20:20 am »
Yup, she is trying to get rid of you  ;D

Having a dedicated space for brewing makes the job much easier, I wish you the very best for your plans. Once completed, post some pictures so we can all enjoy and become inspired!
Brewing up history

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 07:17:16 am »
"discussing a series that would follow him as he hunts down and brews old recipes in historic locations."

So you'd be like the Anthony Bourdain of beer then? Or if you get into stuff like Chicha then you'd be like Andrew Zimmern.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 02:56:11 pm »
mbowenz - is that propane or natural gas plumbed or is it electric?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 06:11:19 pm »
mbowenz - is that propane or natural gas plumbed or is it electric?

It's propane-fired, with the dreaded 23 tip burners ... ;D
Brewing up history

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »
Where did you pick up all of the fittings? I noticed those when my brother gave me a tour of the commercial brewery he works at. Quick, simple, and easy to clean.

Sweet joint! I don't have land yet, but starting the brew system while i shop.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:20 am »
This is a great place man.  Excellent work, but after all of the ooh's and ah's for your project I have some practical questions for you.
  • What kind of property tax do you pay on this since this isn't really a tool shed anymore?
  • How much does it cost to heat and cool now that you've been in there a year+
  • Do use propane for heat, "domestic" hot water and brewing?
  • How do you get your water to the brewery for cleaning and liquor for brewing and dispose of it later?
  • Are you near a street where services are delivered?
  • What do you do for living? dentist, plumber, lawyer? I doubt you're a doctor, cause you had time to do this!
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2010, 11:10:44 am »
This is a great place man.  Excellent work, but after all of the ooh's and ah's for your project I have some practical questions for you.
  • What kind of property tax do you pay on this since this isn't really a tool shed anymore?
  • How much does it cost to heat and cool now that you've been in there a year+
  • Do use propane for heat, "domestic" hot water and brewing?
  • How do you get your water to the brewery for cleaning and liquor for brewing and dispose of it later?
  • Are you near a street where services are delivered?
  • What do you do for living? dentist, plumber, lawyer? I doubt you're a doctor, cause you had time to do this!

Hi Steve,

Here are the answers to your questions:

What kind of property tax do you pay on this since this isn't really a tool shed anymore?
 I haven't had a new re-assesment in two years, it's just under 1 acre, and basically a cottage of 700 Sqft....my total taxes are just under $900 for the year.

How much does it cost to heat and cool now that you've been in there a year?
Everything is electric , in the winter I supplemented with a Kerosene heater ,  the electric runs about $120 per month on a budget set up by the utility company.

Do use propane for heat, "domestic" hot water and brewing?
Domestic HW's are electric, I have a 40 gallon HW heater in the brewery and a 25 gallon in the cottage, I use propane for any brewing operations, and DHW for cleaning only.

How do you get your water to the brewery for cleaning and liquor for brewing and dispose of it later?
I am hooked into our local city water system, a pipe and shut-off valve stub into the shed, where it then passes through a two stage filter system, first removing clorine, and second removing sediment and general filtering. For brewing water I have both an RO systm and a tripple stage .05 micron filter by Hoshizaki, the brewing water is built from there. Disposal goes into our septic tank on site.

Are you near a street where services are delivered?
I only have electric, cable TV and City water provided, the brewery is located about 200 feet from the road and downhill, so I have fantastic water pressure.

What do you do for living? dentist, plumber, lawyer? I doubt you're a doctor, cause you had time to do this.
I have been a financial planner for 18 years and own a company with my sister in Denver Co., I am passionate about beer and beer history, but I only sleep a few hours  at a time, I brew between 4AM and 9AM on Saturdays and sometimes on Thursday nights till late. I work full-time and have three children and a very supportive wife. I am by no means wealthy or have a lot of extra money, I build almost everything by hand and search out deals and bargains at every opportunity. I am fortunate to have firends who have donated many items along the way.... and much of the items in the brewery I already had or collected over the years.

Thanks for asking good questions !
Brewing up history