Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wee Heavy mash temp  (Read 16412 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Wee Heavy mash temp
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:02 am »
So, I've got about a week and a half before trying my first Wee Heavy - shooting for an OG around 1.100.  I'm all over the place as far as what mash temp I want to use.  Standard practice for a "big beer" seems to point toward a low mash temp (and long mash time) so that the FG isn't too high but on the other hand, a Wee Heavy is supposed to be fairly sweet implying a higher FG.  Also, in the "Scotch Ale" book, all of the recipes have the mash temp at 156-158F but I'm kinda scared to go that high on this big a beer.

What do other folks use as a mash temp?
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wee Heavy mash temp
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:09 am »
I used 154 for the one I recently made and I'm pleased with the result.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:09 am »
For last years batch I went with 147F for 40 minutes then ramped it up to 156F for 60 more minutes.  Went from an OG of 1.126 down to 1.033, which wasn't bad.  I think I'd like to get that down just a little more this year so I'm going to keep it in the 148F range for the entire time.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:46:40 am »
LOL!  Two replies and two completely opposite answers.  No wonder I'm all over the place trying to decide what temp to use  :o
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:46 am »
I consider this the finest wee heavy recipe I've ever encountered, so I just follow the instructions to the letter....

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/scottish/recipes/10.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:45 am »
I consider this the finest wee heavy recipe I've ever encountered, so I just follow the instructions to the letter....

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/scottish/recipes/10.html

Yeah, that's one I've been looking at as part of my decision making process (curiously enough, I wonder what else he's got on that site because, just now, trying to go there from at work, it gets blocked for containing "Adult/Mature Content;Alcohol" :) )
Joe

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
I mashed at 155 using WY1728 on my Wee Heavy and I'm quite satisfied with the attenuation.  The reduction boil is the key to this beer.  Never stop stirring and reduce it until you are scared you will scorch the wort.  You will not be disappointed.

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:23 am »
The first year I brewed my wee heavy I mashed for 70 minutes at 152 and achieved 72% AA (FG 1.034).  Last year at 148 for 40 minutes and 156 for 60 minutes and got 74% AA (FG 1.033).  I'm liking these beers but, as I said I'd like to try it a little drier so I'm going to do the low and long this year.  Even if I can hit what I'm shooting for and bump up the AA to 78% I'll still be sitting at an FG of around 1.028 which is pretty substantial. 

Who knows, maybe after I do it I'll be happier with my results from one of the other years but I need to try it and see.

It's taken me three years to convince myself to go that low.  :D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:46 am »
The reduction boil is the key to this beer.  Never stop stirring and reduce it until you are scared you will scorch the wort.  You will not be disappointed.

On that topic, I'm thinking I'll do a double-boiler kind of thing.  When I do a decotion, I use the pressure canner method which means no stirring needed.  For this brew, I'm thinking along the same lines only without putting the lid on either the pressure canner or the pot inside.  Put the gallon of first runnings in the inside pot and let it go to town.  I just don't know how long it'll take to boil down that gallon to less than a pint.  Guess I need to figure something out as it'll affect my boil time which will, in turn, affect my water calcs.   Hmmm.
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 09:08:17 am »
It takes me 30-40 minutes to boil 1 gallon down to a thick syrup using direct heat on the stove (in a nice wide 6 qt saute pan).  I pull the first gallon of runnings and get it started while I finish the runoff and get the boil started.  I'm usually not too far into the boil before I can add it back in.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
I mashed at 155 using WY1728 on my Wee Heavy and I'm quite satisfied with the attenuation.  The reduction boil is the key to this beer.  Never stop stirring and reduce it until you are scared you will scorch the wort.  You will not be disappointed.
Yep, boil 'til you're scared!
Brew on

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:40 pm »
For what it's worth, I mashed mine at 158F, and it is tasting pretty great right now.

EDIT:  I should also say that I had a can of extract in there, so I could bring the gravity up to 1.105, and the high mash temp was an accident. Nonetheless, I drew a sample today, and it is at 1.016, and tasting fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:00:47 pm by maaswinhester »
Kyle M.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:16 pm »
I mash mine at 156. Two hour boil, and let that baby age. I have had great success using this mash temp and brewing/aging style. 'Designing Great Beers' by Ray Daniels has an excellent section regarding this style of beer. Good luck :)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:50 am »
I did a SSA at 154F (with 20% caramel in grist--I know--high!).
I didn't want to waste my time carmelizing some first runnings in a skillet.
Used Safale US-05 yeast (2 packets) for 7.5 gallons.
Data:  OG=1.090, FG=1.032, ABV= 8-ish.
Very sweet and full bodied, which I want, since it will likely go in the barrel.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 09:18:10 am »
I brewed one on Saturday and caramelized some wort.  I actually cooked it down to where it was boiling like a true syrup, in fact I think the water was all gone by the end.  Does anyone go this far?  I smelled it to be sure I wasn't burning it, and I took it off and added right after it quit steaming.  it really bubbles up a lot like when you make caramel candy.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO