Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How's your Thermapen?  (Read 39299 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: How's your Thermapen?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 12:03:35 pm »

that being said I also don't own a pH meter.
I don't think you really need one...

I suspect that to be the case. I start with RO and use bru'n water so I imagine I am fairly close most of the time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 12:08:59 pm »
Bru'n water software would be a total waste for me. My water changes often. I'd be willing to bet all ya'lls water changes regularly as well if it is coming from a municipal source. You can type your report into any field you want but that doesn;t guarantee that your water is anything like that report on any given day.

On light beer or dark beers I have to make adjustments (amber beers almost always hit spot on) and I personally wouldn't trust anything but a meter. I keep the strips around "just in case" but I don;t really trust them either. I never have been able to find the exact color match, even on the colorpHast strips.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:28 pm »
Even at $88 that sounds like a rip off for a thermometer. How many of you have an $88 thermometer but don't have a decent pH meter?  ;)
I have strips.  I don't use them, but I have them

Now I just wouldn't have admitted that. ??? ;)

$88 for a damn designer thermometer. Sheesh. I bet all you kids have jordash jeans, too. ;D
Admit which, that I have them or that I don't use them?

I only wear Sergio Valenti. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »
On light beer or dark beers I have to make adjustments (amber beers almost always hit spot on) and I personally wouldn't trust anything but a meter. I keep the strips around "just in case" but I don;t really trust them either. I never have been able to find the exact color match, even on the colorpHast strips.

I haven't used Martin's water program so I don't want to attest to that. I've heard a lot of great things about his program.

I agree Keith. My meter has the final say as to how I'm proceeding with my mash. I was amazed at the difference I discovered when I first started using a meter. My Pilsners and Helles' have improved drastically since adjusting my water based on my meter measurements. It's amazing what 15mL of Phosphoric acid will do for a Munich Helles.

Ron Price

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
Well if you start with RO, it's probably close enough...
Jesse

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:28 pm »
Even at $88 that sounds like a rip off for a thermometer. How many of you have an $88 thermometer but don't have a decent pH meter?  ;)
I have strips.  I don't use them, but I have them.  I might get a pH meter at some point, I just don't have the need - I'm making great beer without out ;)

i use strips on occasion and seem to always have decent ph. but Tom, you need to prove to me you are making great beer ;D, i mean, i believe you i just need documentation and all.
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »
but Tom, you need to prove to me you are making great beer ;D, i mean, i believe you i just need documentation and all.
I don't really enter comps any more, but maybe I will again some day.  Since you insist, how is this for documentation?
http://www.bewbc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=331:2007-puget-sound-pro-am-winners

For more current beers you'll have to taste for yourself - NHC in Seattle? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »
but Tom, you need to prove to me you are making great beer ;D, i mean, i believe you i just need documentation and all.
I don't really enter comps any more, but maybe I will again some day.  Since you insist, how is this for documentation?
http://www.bewbc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=331:2007-puget-sound-pro-am-winners

I will take yo up on that, Tom.  The MI clubs are getting a shipment together, so you can stop by our booth and try mine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »
I have to say I'm very pleased with my new Thermapen.  I used it on two brews now and I also calibrated my other thermometers that were off as well.  The price was worth it for me.
Dan Chisholm

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »

awesome tom.  i unfortunatley won't likely make it to NHC.  i do hope to get back to seattle.  i used to live in port orchard and my best man still lives out there. if i do, i will arrange a swap.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
How's your Thermapen?
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
I have made up the cost in my time alone for the speed and accuracy of my Thermapen.

But to each his own.  :)

Uh, could I see that math?  :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 06:43:33 pm »
I have made up the cost in my time alone for the speed and accuracy of my Thermapen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I didn't keep any time logs or anything if that's what you want.  ;) ;D

...but seriously the speed of the Thermapen alone has made it worth it to me...IMO.  :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »
Well if you start with RO, it's probably close enough...

Missed where he said he used RO water.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:33 am »

I don't have any detailed cost benefit analysis calculations either.  Also, it's hard to calculate the monetary value of the excessive aggravation I was experiencing with my thermometers before I got the thermapen.  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
You just have to assign one then. I figure my time is worth $25/hr minimum. More like $50. So if it takes one minute for a dial thermometer and 5 seconds for the Thermapen then calculate 55 seconds of savings. Come out to about $0.007/sec on the low side so $0.385 savings for 55 seconds saved. ;)

Paid for itself a long time ago. 8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:57:16 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis