Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasted some Coffee Today  (Read 25645 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Roasted some Coffee Today
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:46 am »
When it's cold out I put the hot air popper in a ~3 gallon bucket (the kind you can get from the walmart bakery) and leave the popper top/deflector on so the air is redirected back down to the bottom of the bucket so it recirculates the hot air. Works like a champ.

Hmm, that's a great idea.  I'm going to give that a try.  Thanks!  It would probably work just as well with a homer bucket, right?  Presuming the cord will reach.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:27 am »
Hmm, that's a great idea.  I'm going to give that a try.  Thanks!  It would probably work just as well with a homer bucket, right?  Presuming the cord will reach.

Homer bucket would just mean your coffee would have more of an orange tint :)
Joe

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:46 am »
When it's cold out I put the hot air popper in a ~3 gallon bucket (the kind you can get from the walmart bakery) and leave the popper top/deflector on so the air is redirected back down to the bottom of the bucket so it recirculates the hot air. Works like a champ.

Or a cardboard box or cooler or what ever. Just so the hot air is redirected to the bottom so it recirculates.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:30 am »
I considered the bucket thing, but haven't tried it.

Since I took out the thermostat in my popper, I can roast out doors just fine in freezing temps.

This past weekend it took me between 4 and 5 minutes to get to first crack.  Snow was on the ground, but not falling. 

I roasted for 7 minutes total and that was between 30 sec and 1 minute past the end of first crack.

The coffee this morning was deeelicious.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »
I have 15lbs of unroasted sitting on my front step at home waiting for me today.  I ran out of beans last week.  :)

The Foldgers this morning was not really deliceeous.  :-\

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:59 pm »
I have 15lbs of unroasted sitting on my front step at home waiting for me today.  I ran out of beans last week.  :)

The Foldgers this morning was not really deliceeous.  :-\

Paul

Folgers? FOLGERS? Oh man I truly feel for ya. To be honest I would have gone without. YUK!  :o
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2012, 03:58:36 pm »
I have 15lbs of unroasted sitting on my front step at home waiting for me today. 

How much do you roast at a time? How long until the green coffee beans start getting stale, or do they?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:08 pm »
I have not found green beans to go bad, some state to use in a year, I just haven't found it to be necessary. I'm probably roasting 1 - 1.5 lb at a time. One of these days I'll weigh it to make sure. I probably could roast 2X whatever amount I currently roast. What I roast always fills a 1/2 sheet cookie sheet (as seen in the earlier photo).
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:59 am »
I have 15lbs of unroasted sitting on my front step at home waiting for me today. 

How much do you roast at a time? How long until the green coffee beans start getting stale, or do they?

In a popcorn popper I can roast about 1/3 cup of green beans at a time. As the beans roast they almost double in size. Cheers!!!

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 02:23:05 pm »

Sorry for the slow response.

I usually roast 2 - 8oz. batches every two weeks.  15lbs will last me about 30 weeks.  If stored properly (cool, dry and away from direct sun light) dried beans will last a very long time.  I've never had any go bad on me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »
I run my beans to 330f for a good five minutes and roast at 446 for 4 minutes, and then 3 minutes at 465, and finish at 482 to just second crack or just before, when the smoke just starts.

Oddly enough I use my popper to heat my roaster during the winter, seems it doesn't start until the internals are at 68.

We go through at least 1# a week, so most beans are gone in less than 5 months, but green beans kept in a cool dry plase should last more than a year. IMO.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2012, 05:40:36 am »
Do you have a calibrated thermometer?

Second crack is around 440-445, not 480, but I do agree the smoke really starts to go around second crack.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 09:26:11 pm »
I rely on the thermometer on my roaster, gene cafe.

I think crack depends on the process rather than the temperature, but we are roasting in a differernt way. An apples to oranges roasting method.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2012, 06:40:24 am »

Nah, I didn't post what I used.  I used a West Bend Air Crazy Popcorn popper.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WS1GY/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

It worked nicely.

I bought that model yesterday and tried it out. It was terrible. It did not have enough force with the air to move the beans at all. The outside ones starting burning in less than a minute and the inside never got hot. What wattage is yours. The one I got was only 1040 watts.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2012, 08:14:05 am »

Nah, I didn't post what I used.  I used a West Bend Air Crazy Popcorn popper.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WS1GY/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

It worked nicely.

I bought that model yesterday and tried it out. It was terrible. It did not have enough force with the air to move the beans at all. The outside ones starting burning in less than a minute and the inside never got hot. What wattage is yours. The one I got was only 1040 watts.

I don't know off the top of my head but I think there's only one model like that so it's probably the same.  I get pretty good bean movement.  I'm using just under half a cup of green beans per batch. 

My first couple batches, when I wasn't roasting long enough I did notice that the roast was a little uneven.  The last couple batches that I roasted longer came out pretty even.
Clint
Wort Hogs