Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Legalization  (Read 12743 times)

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Homebrew Legalization
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:30 am »
The AHA is currently working with homebrewers in AL, MS, and OK on homebrew legalization in 2010, check out my blog post on www.HomebrewersAssociation.org for more information.

For the latest update on Government Affairs issues in the beer world, see the Brewers Association’s January Government Affairs update at www.brewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/monthly-legal-brief.

Gary Glass
Director
American Homebrewers Association
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Homebrew Legalization
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:44:07 am »
Thanks for the update, Gary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:15:20 pm »
Go team!  If the legislators aren't going to fix the budget, at least they can work on protecting our freedom to homebrew (better than here in CA where they are looking for more things to outlaw like skiing without helmets).
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »
Bills to legalize homebrewing in the State of Mississippi have been introduced. They have both been referred to Committee. Now is the time to contact your Representatives and Senators concerning the Bills. Legalizing homebrewing in Mississippi has a real shot at passing with everyone’s help.

The Bills have been introduced by Senator Baria (SB 2717) and Representative Moak (HB 732). The contact info of the Chair and Vice Chair of the Committees that the bills have been referred to are listed below. Written letter and phone calls are more persuasive than emails.

House Bill 732 has been Referred to the Ways and Means Committee:

Chair:
Percy W. Watson
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
(601)544-6490 (H)
(601)545-1051 (W)
pwatson@house.ms.gov

Vice Chair:
David Norquist
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
(662)843-9183 (H)
(662)843-6171 (W)
dnorquist@house.ms.gov

Senate Bill SB 2717 has been referred to the Finance Committee.

Chair:
Dean Kirby
Room: 215 C
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
(601)359-3246
(601)932-1966 (H)
(601)939-5968 (W)
dkirby@senate.ms.gov

Vice Chair:
Eugene Clarke
Room: 405 D
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215
(601)359-3172
(662)827-7261 (W)
(662)827-7264 (F)
bclarke@senate.ms.gov

Of course, talking with any of the member on either Committee would be helpful, especially if they are Representatives or Senators from your area. In addition,
contacting your local Representatives and Senators and letting them know
where you stand will help when the Bills come out of Committee. Please be polite and professional.

Here is a link to find your local officials:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/
http://www.capitolconnect.com/demoassoc1/legislatorsearch.aspx

This is time sensitive - we need to get the word out fast and clear.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline rep

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:17:08 am »
deepsouth provides some great info on how to lobby your legislator.  And BTW, when a constituent contacts them, it does make a difference.  When many do, it has an impact.

When I served in the Wisconsin legislature I kept track of who was contacting me on what issue.  People living in my district would often get a telephone call from me to discuss the issue.  Understand something...legislators do not hear from tons of people so when they do, ears perk up.

Whatever you do though, I would caution you about mentioning anything about how you voted for them, or, that you would do so if they supported your issue.  Threats never worked for me one way or the other.

Good luck.  I know how difficult it is to change the law regarding alcohol.  There are so many deep rooted special interest groups out there that want to protect what they have.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:58:56 pm »
We have recently sent Action Alerts to the AHA Members in Mississippi and Oklahoma with instructions on how homebrewers can help get the homebrew bills in those states passed.  Given that not every homebrewer in those states is an AHA member you can help the cause, by forwarding the appropriate link below to anyone you know in those states who would be sympathetic to our cause.

Mississippi: http://www.beertown.org/email/sylb/MSJan_10.htm

Oklahoma: http://www.beertown.org/email/sylb/OKJan_10.htm

Hopefully, we'll have an Alert to send to Alabama residents soon.  Waiting on a vote in the Senate Tourism & Marketing Committee now - the same bill has passed this committee in previous years, so we're really more concerned with promoting the bill after it clears committee.

Cheers!
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:26:31 am »
Is anything happening with legalizing shipping of homebrew?  It sure would knock the edge off any worries.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:43:50 am »
Yes, we're working on it and it's getting closer all the time.  Gary gave the GC an update recently, but couldn't say too much and I can tell you even less.  But I assure you it's a priority for us and we have some good people working with us on it.  Keep in mind, though, that when you're dealing with the federal gov't., things don't happen quickly.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 08:26:25 am »
It will be Sweet when we can ship via the US Post Office!  I have to drive 20 miles to the nearest UPS store now and FedEx is another 10 miles further... the post office is just a little over a mile away.   :)  And then there are the flat rate boxes... could possibly ship close to a 12 pack maybe for the price we're already paying!   ;D

When I shipped a water sample recently, the post office clerk told me the only thing they cared about was that a liquid would be contained if the primary container leaked, so I put the plastic soda bottle inside a foodsaver bag and vacuum sealed it... they were happy with it.   :)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »
update:

all bills died in committee in MIssissippi.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:32:19 pm »
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:43 pm »
 >:(
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »
Politics vs. common sense.  Oy.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:31:24 pm »
Good news in Oklahoma: HB 2348 was passed today by the Oklahoma House Economic Development and Financial Services Committee by a margin of 12-1.  Now we wait for it to be scheduled for a vote before the full House.

Looks like the Senate log jam in Alabama may be clearing, hopefully that will result in the Senate Tourism and Marketing Committee voting on the Alabama homebrew bill (they passed it last year).

Mississippi: Big bummer.  As I understand it, a single Senator managed to kill pretty much all of the alcohol bills, including homebrew legalization and increasing allowable alcohol in beer sold in the state, by blocking them from getting through his committee.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we will get some movement on a homebrew shipping bill this session.  It seems to be headed in the right direction at the moment.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
If the Senator from Mississippi that killed the bill is known posting his name would be helpful for Mississippi residents.  Just in case they want to factor that in next time they head to the polls.
Clint
Wort Hogs