Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 608709 times)

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5625 on: July 12, 2024, 05:40:36 pm »
After most of the beer has been poured, In Germany the bartender would roll the bottle on the bar to get the yeast remaining and pour it into the glass.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smlLwa4Mx8Y&pp=ygUfVGhlIG9ubHkgd2F5IHRvIHBvdXIgaGVmZXdpZXplbg%3D%3D

Old video but to your point and is literally a perfect pour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5626 on: July 13, 2024, 06:00:05 am »
I don't think the yeast is supposed to stay in suspension.  Proteins are what remain and cause the hazy look. But that's a topic for someone with vastly more knowledge than I have. It gets complicated learning all the different things that can cause a beer to not clear. 

My understanding is that protein is what caused the haze in the original NEIPAs.  Although, I'm not sure if that continues to be accurate for later generations, based on what I've read.

However, for Hefeweizen, the haze is mostly yeast.  When pouring from a bottle, you can swirl the yeast that settled out back into suspension so that you get the full effect.  :)  The "hefe" in the name means "yeast".
I have a brother who's stock beer is hefeweizen. I had never heard that before. I am certain I've never been to his house and had him give me a bottle of beer which he recommended swirling the yeast. He knows I don't brew Hefeweizen so I would think he would introduce me to the customs if he knew them. I will see him later on today and I will be certain to ask.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5627 on: July 13, 2024, 06:05:47 am »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smlLwa4Mx8Y&pp=ygUfVGhlIG9ubHkgd2F5IHRvIHBvdXIgaGVmZXdpZXplbg%3D%3D

Old video but to your point and is literally a perfect pour
I have seen something similar to that, but I was not aware that was a proper technique. That's pretty cool.
(Edit)
I even have Hefeweizen glasses, lol. I'll be sure to show him this video today.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 06:12:00 am by CounterPressure »

Offline pv

• Cellarman
« Reply #5628 on: July 15, 2024, 08:33:56 am »
I don't think the yeast is supposed to stay in suspension.  Proteins are what remain and cause the hazy look. But that's a topic for someone with vastly more knowledge than I have. It gets complicated learning all the different things that can cause a beer to not clear. 

My understanding is that protein is what caused the haze in the original NEIPAs.  Although, I'm not sure if that continues to be accurate for later generations, based on what I've read.

However, for Hefeweizen, the haze is mostly yeast.  When pouring from a bottle, you can swirl the yeast that settled out back into suspension so that you get the full effect.  :)  The "hefe" in the name means "yeast".

I met Pete Slosberg at a local beer festival (1995?).  I was wearing a Pete's Wicked Ale hat and a Guinness t-shirt.  So after a brief discussion about my apparel, I told him I did not care much for his Honey Wheat.  He told me it was one of his favorites and I was drinking it wrong.  I asked how the hell I could be drinking a beer wrong.  He suggested to pour 2/3 and swirl the rest to get the yeast suspended.  Thought he was crazy, but when I tried it in the secrecy of my own home, it made ALL the difference in that beer.  Brilliant.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5629 on: July 15, 2024, 08:51:52 am »

I met Pete Slosberg at a local beer festival (1995?).  I was wearing a Pete's Wicked Ale hat and a Guinness t-shirt.  So after a brief discussion about my apparel, I told him I did not care much for his Honey Wheat.  He told me it was one of his favorites and I was drinking it wrong.  I asked how the hell I could be drinking a beer wrong.  He suggested to pour 2/3 and swirl the rest to get the yeast suspended.  Thought he was crazy, but when I tried it in the secrecy of my own home, it made ALL the difference in that beer.  Brilliant.
So seeing this and the video posted, it sounds almost like Hefeweizen or wheat beers or beers in general that do better having the yeast in suspension might be best bottle conditioned rather than kegged?

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5630 on: July 15, 2024, 02:33:35 pm »
So seeing this and the video posted, it sounds almost like Hefeweizen or wheat beers or beers in general that do better having the yeast in suspension might be best bottle conditioned rather than kegged?

I really enjoy the simplicity of kegging.  (And I still find it great fun to pour a beer from a faucet, but maybe my wife is correct when she says that I'm a child.)

However, for the Hefeweizen, I feel that I should be bottling.  It just doesn't seem to pour right from the keg.  Ridiculously cloudy initially, and the after it settles, it's too clear.

If anyone has advice on how to do this correctly from a keg, I'd love to hear it!

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5631 on: July 15, 2024, 02:36:29 pm »
If anyone has advice on how to do this correctly from a keg, I'd love to hear it!
I think you're supposed to swirl the keg every time you go to pour a beer, and of course drink the entire keg in one day before it can settle.

Offline mtevans

• Cellarman
« Reply #5632 on: July 15, 2024, 02:41:46 pm »
I think you're supposed to swirl the keg every time you go to pour a beer, and of course drink the entire keg in one day before it can settle.
lol. I don’t think that finishing a keg in one day would be recommended for anyone, maybe Andre the giant I heard he could put a lot of beer down… but swirling the keg isn’t a bad idea but a pita since my keezer is a top load and when there are 2 kegs in it it would require me pulling the keg completely out every time, or every day I want to drink the hefe