Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Been on the hunt for WHY I occasionally get a contaminated brew!  (Read 1642 times)

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: Been on the hunt for WHY I occasionally get a contaminated brew!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2024, 08:18:23 am »
Hi Everyone -

Ive brewed for years and always thought of cleniliness as THE most important ingredient.  No matter how studious (eg dismantle valves, thorough use of Star San) once in a while I get a contaminated beer from some microorganism.

I JUST learned that the Star San site says to use their product within an hour!  They say, "Star San is an EPAs registered sanitizer and must be used immediately. We do not recommend using it if has been in solution longer than an hour."

THERE's my culprit!  Ive saved Star San in mixture from one brew to the next, usually changing out wfter two brew projects.  I further read on their site that Star San converts to sugar (thus the reason it is not harmful to us humans). 

Ive been sanitizing with sugar water!

I just wanted to share to save others from the same problem!
You don’t seem to mention if you are using a cleaner and then sanitizing. Star San is NOT a cleaner.   Your regimen should include both items.

+1

On a homebrew level, I believe that proper cleaning is far more important than sanitizing.

+2  When I first started homebrewing I did a few batches with PBW cleaning only not realizing I was supposed to sanitize too and the brews turned out fine.  No spoiled batches.
Charlie Talley stated on a podcast that technically, sanitation isn't necessary - thorough cleaning is sufficient. Sanitizer is insurance. I find that comforting, but I still use sanitizer.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2024, 03:57:43 pm »
im actually going to attempt to do that to a tv having issues soon, just following a google guide to replace i think a capacitor in it.

Are your TV shows getting infected?

IMO, yes, most TV shows today are "infected". Ha, ha, ha... Dating myself, but I remember when MTV and VH1 actually had music videos.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 03:59:21 pm by brewthru »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2024, 04:27:29 pm »
Hi Everyone -

Ive brewed for years and always thought of cleniliness as THE most important ingredient.  No matter how studious (eg dismantle valves, thorough use of Star San) once in a while I get a contaminated beer from some microorganism.

I JUST learned that the Star San site says to use their product within an hour!  They say, "Star San is an EPAs registered sanitizer and must be used immediately. We do not recommend using it if has been in solution longer than an hour."

THERE's my culprit!  Ive saved Star San in mixture from one brew to the next, usually changing out wfter two brew projects.  I further read on their site that Star San converts to sugar (thus the reason it is not harmful to us humans). 

Ive been sanitizing with sugar water!

I just wanted to share to save others from the same problem!
You don’t seem to mention if you are using a cleaner and then sanitizing. Star San is NOT a cleaner.   Your regimen should include both items.

+1

On a homebrew level, I believe that proper cleaning is far more important than sanitizing.

+2  When I first started homebrewing I did a few batches with PBW cleaning only not realizing I was supposed to sanitize too and the brews turned out fine.  No spoiled batches.

sodium percarbonate, one of the active ingredients in PBW (essentially oxiclean) is a sanitizer. But I wouldn't consider it a "no rinse" sanitizer.

Offline craftyape

• 1st Kit
  • Beer is my safe word. Brew Day is my solitude.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2024, 11:40:59 am »
First Question: are you 100% sure its this issue?
Max the Crafty Ape