Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ammonium-salted Licorice Beer Recipe  (Read 133 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Ammonium-salted Licorice Beer Recipe
« on: July 05, 2024, 05:24:02 pm »
lol, while eating some FLADFISK just now i theorized this masterpiece (in about 30 seconds):

malt grist:
90% 2row
5% crystal 80
5% roasted barley (RB for that twangy/smoky wildly roasted notes i get from my RB i use)
~200g molasses for the molasses notes i interpret in liquorice

food grade ammonium chloride E510 - (the candy suggests anywhere from 2 to 8% is commonly added by weight to the salty licorice) - lets say 5 grams per litre

OG 1.06 for a bit of strength

10IBU neutral hops

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Ammonium-salted Licorice Beer Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 07:55:43 pm »
Did you do anything with this?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 03:23:20 pm »
Did you do anything with this?

lol, no i just wanted to throw it out there.

if i ever had the intention, i would likely take a gallon of some stout and add molasses and ammonium chloride to it.

im enjoying eating fladfisk, im going to have some tonight while watching soccer likely

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 04:34:35 pm »

I worked with some Danish officers once who enjoyed watching people's reactions when they shared their licorice fish.

I would add some anise or anise extract for the licorice flavor — or just add some pastis or Jaegermeister to the batch. 🤔
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 09:07:18 pm »

I worked with some Danish officers once who enjoyed watching people's reactions when they shared their licorice fish.

I would add some anise or anise extract for the licorice flavor — or just add some pastis or Jaegermeister to the batch. 🤔

okay, also i had some tyrkisk peber today, and the inside was some powder that was like a mix of black pepper, anise elements, some spicy pepper and then tasted more like sodium chloride. but yes i could see anise too. there are a lot of varieties.

RELATED: the scandinavian porters i am missing now frequently had licquorice in the ingredients. just like many stouts and porters in england had and a few did