Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Raising Prices  (Read 1137 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Wyeast Raising Prices
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2024, 02:53:58 pm »
That seems a bit backwards to me. I understand that as you get to know a yeast you understand how to get the most out of it in different conditions, but each yeast has a limited pallet and can't go beyond that. Would you use a lager yeast for a hefeweizen? Would you use a hefeweizen yeast for a lager? I can't believe that you have enough control over a yeast to get it to perform that far out of its comfort zone.

Unless you typically brew similar styles of beer. 

I do hope that he's not brewing a lager and a hefe with the same yeast. 😄
Exactly. Many of the great classic breweries only use one strain, especially in Europe. They just brew what they specialize in. With maybe the exception of an occasional one-off or seasonal beer. Of course, their styles are limited, but they have a house yeast and they brew styles that fit it.

I doubt Weinstephaner is wishing they could brew a Belgian Dubbel, or Chimay, a Munich Helles..
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2024, 11:27:09 am »
That seems a bit backwards to me. I understand that as you get to know a yeast you understand how to get the most out of it in different conditions, but each yeast has a limited pallet and can't go beyond that. Would you use a lager yeast for a hefeweizen? Would you use a hefeweizen yeast for a lager? I can't believe that you have enough control over a yeast to get it to perform that far out of its comfort zone.

I don't think anybody in this thread suggests trying to use yeast strains so expansively. OTOH a brewer could use one or two lager strains to brew pretty much every lager style out there. You could use a single English strain for most if not all English styles. Etc.

We don't spend all that much time talking about those decisions as homebrewers because we're spoiled for yeast choices and it's easier to buy a strain that fits a recipe than modify a recipe to fit a strain.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2024, 12:09:36 pm »
I don't think anybody in this thread suggests trying to use yeast strains so expansively. OTOH a brewer could use one or two lager strains to brew pretty much every lager style out there. You could use a single English strain for most if not all English styles. Etc.

We don't spend all that much time talking about those decisions as homebrewers because we're spoiled for yeast choices and it's easier to buy a strain that fits a recipe than modify a recipe to fit a strain.
I can only speak for myself, but if there were only 2 strains of yeast left, 34/70 and Nottingham, I'd be fine with it. I try countless yeast types because I can. Not because I'm forced to. Yes, if you want to brew certain styles they may require a different yeast.  Whatever...

What bothers me about all of it is the wanton gouging in the yeast industry.  Ok, I get it, if you make less yeast you need to charge a little more.  Consider this.
If I go to the grocery store and buy tiny little packets of yeast for bread.  They're $0.79 each or some insane number for each 7 gram pack.  I look at the "Big" container and that's some perverse amount of money. I won't even quote because it's been so long since I looked, I don't even know what it costs there any more.  So I go to King Arthur Flour online and a POUND of SAF Instant yeast is $6.99.  And if I go to the Amish grocery store locally, there it's $4.99.

Have you looked at what it costs for a pound of dry brewers yeast lately?  Anyone care to explain why bread yeast is 1/100th the price?  ** (Unless of course you buy at the grocery store in small packs...).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 12:13:35 pm by CounterPressure »

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2024, 06:00:54 pm »

I can only speak for myself, but if there were only 2 strains of yeast left, 34/70 and Nottingham, I'd be fine with it. I try countless yeast types because I can. Not because I'm forced to. Yes, if you want to brew certain styles they may require a different yeast.  Whatever...

What bothers me about all of it is the wanton gouging in the yeast industry.  Ok, I get it, if you make less yeast you need to charge a little more.  Consider this.
If I go to the grocery store and buy tiny little packets of yeast for bread.  They're $0.79 each or some insane number for each 7 gram pack.  I look at the "Big" container and that's some perverse amount of money. I won't even quote because it's been so long since I looked, I don't even know what it costs there any more.  So I go to King Arthur Flour online and a POUND of SAF Instant yeast is $6.99.  And if I go to the Amish grocery store locally, there it's $4.99.

Have you looked at what it costs for a pound of dry brewers yeast lately?  Anyone care to explain why bread yeast is 1/100th the price?  ** (Unless of course you buy at the grocery store in small packs...).
My guess is because bread yeast volume sales are WAY higher than brewer's yeast. If grocery stores carried brewer's yeast, I bet they would be throwing most of it away.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association