Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unpleasant Sulfur with Lallemand Belgian Wit Yeast  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Unpleasant Sulfur with Lallemand Belgian Wit Yeast
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2024, 08:57:56 am »
If it's still in the fermenter,  it's too soon to be concerned.
For sure.  I have tried many fermenter samples and winced at how weird the beer tasted but 4-6 weeks later the beer was as expected.  The sulfur should age out.  If the beer ends up good then you can feel good about using the yeast strain again.  If you're twitchy about it, I'm sure there are other strains for that style you can try. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline KilroyWasHere

• Cellarman
  • Lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2024, 05:04:55 pm »

If it's still in the fermenter,  it's too soon to be concerned.
Denny I seem to recall from one of your podcasts that sulfur could be removed by tossing a hunk of copper in the fermenter. Do I recall correctly, or is that a fabrication of my once fertile gray matter?  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 09:07:12 am by KilroyWasHere »
Beer! No great story ever starts with someone eating a salad.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy to sustain him through temporary periods of joy.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2024, 05:19:53 pm »
I believe I recall Keith putting a section of copper pipe in a beer to alleviate an off smell/flavor.   I tried with copper pennies with no luck.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2024, 08:10:16 pm »
Copper can help with sulfur, that's pretty common advice.  But don't discount the fact that aging also works.  I've only used copper one time since learning about it around 15 years ago, when I was in a hurry and needed the sulfur out immediately.  The rest of the time it just ages out after a few weeks.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KilroyWasHere

• Cellarman
  • Lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2024, 03:02:42 pm »
I asked the question because I used it recently in a batch that threw sulfur like a paper mill. It was horrific. I added a 4 inch piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe to the keg and it seemed to work  :) . The excess sulfur seemed to be the result of Mangrove M41 AND Sodium Metabisulfite in the fermenter (my assessment). The reason behind the S Meta in the fermenter is discussed in another thread.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 06:23:32 am by KilroyWasHere »
Beer! No great story ever starts with someone eating a salad.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy to sustain him through temporary periods of joy.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2024, 09:07:35 am »
I was harshly reminded of the unpleasant sulfur I got using Lallemand's Belgian Wit yeast recently, after using it again in a Witbier. Anyone else experience this? I now remember deciding this was a liquid yeast only style (before taking a 3 yr hiatus).

Sulfur is a problem that is often solved with time. I've often found that in a few weeks time it goes away on its own.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2024, 09:30:59 am »
how did the beer end up tasting? im curious about lallemand wit

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2024, 05:42:36 pm »
how did the beer end up tasting? im curious about lallemand wit
It is STILL on the yeast cake.. I sampled it again about a week ago and the "burnt match" has definitely faded, but I'm still not sure I like it. It will be kegged or dumped in the next week.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association