Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cans of LME sold-out?  (Read 389 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Cans of LME sold-out?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2024, 10:53:07 am »
I guess the other big question is do you want "hot pepper" flavor or "hot sauce" flavor? Those are (to me) very different flavor profiles...my recollection is that most hot beers use peppers rather than hot sauce, so that you get the heat without the savory components of most hot sauces.

And I second the suggestions to do some test dosings before committing to the whole batch! But, you know your personal preferences, which is the fun of homebrewing!
I agree with Andy. Hot sauce has ingredients that my not work in a beer, but peppers work well. I like to use poblano peppers, roasted and peeled, added to the secondary. They're pretty mild, so you can supplement the heat with habaneros if you want.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2024, 11:06:15 am »
I guess the other big question is do you want "hot pepper" flavor or "hot sauce" flavor? Those are (to me) very different flavor profiles...my recollection is that most hot beers use peppers rather than hot sauce, so that you get the heat without the savory components of most hot sauces.

And I second the suggestions to do some test dosings before committing to the whole batch! But, you know your personal preferences, which is the fun of homebrewing!
I agree with Andy. Hot sauce has ingredients that my not work in a beer, but peppers work well. I like to use poblano peppers, roasted and peeled, added to the secondary. They're pretty mild, so you can supplement the heat with habaneros if you want.

+1. Peppers can add nice flavors in addition to the heat — fruity, citrus-y, earthy, even chocolatey depending on varietal. Hot sauce usually has a lot of vinegar and salt (and sometimes garlic, etc) added.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2024, 03:01:33 pm »
Hot sauce will likely add oils that world impact head retetention.

I made a jalapeño beer many years ago that bubbled like champagne but had no head whatsoever.  Took ages to not be painful to consume.  Some people loved it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2024, 07:54:12 pm »

First, why are you waiting four years to bottle your first batch?
I drive long-haul at FedEx Ground: 500 miles out, overnight at a FedEx hub, then back to my origin the next day. Then I go out again the next day for the same routine. I have done three go-rounds in six days with the seventh day off to reset my duty hours. During that seventh day I am at home, thoroughly exhausted and facing a mountain of dirty clothes and dirty soda bottles to wash. I buy two-liter bottles of soda and put them into one-liter bottles; I take at least eight for drinkin' and a bunch of high-caffeine energy drinks to stay awake during those long and lonely nights between Reno and Salt Lake City. I work so much that there's just no time for me to do anything I want to do outside of work. I "retired" on June 21; the problem is that my manager (and the owner of the trucks) didn't get the memo. He has twelve drivers; I'm the only one worth a da-mn. The other ones show-up late to get loaded-- or don't show-up at all. Drivers are so hard to find that he suffers these idiots, even with their serial failures. I have been a driver for over thirty years. What these kids today do/don't do is like something from Mars, to me. They have no respect for responsibility. Somebody is paying the owner of the truck to move his property in a timely manner. These kids today don't seem to give an airborne copulation about professional service, promises between businessmen and the responsibility to do a good job for which they receive a nice paycheck. I don't know where it all ends...

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2024, 08:35:06 pm »

First, why are you waiting four years to bottle your first batch?
I drive long-haul at FedEx Ground: 500 miles out, overnight at a FedEx hub, then back to my origin the next day. Then I go out again the next day for the same routine. I have done three go-rounds in six days with the seventh day off to reset my duty hours. During that seventh day I am at home, thoroughly exhausted and facing a mountain of dirty clothes and dirty soda bottles to wash. I buy two-liter bottles of soda and put them into one-liter bottles; I take at least eight for drinkin' and a bunch of high-caffeine energy drinks to stay awake during those long and lonely nights between Reno and Salt Lake City. I work so much that there's just no time for me to do anything I want to do outside of work. I "retired" on June 21; the problem is that my manager (and the owner of the trucks) didn't get the memo. He has twelve drivers; I'm the only one worth a da-mn. The other ones show-up late to get loaded-- or don't show-up at all. Drivers are so hard to find that he suffers these idiots, even with their serial failures. I have been a driver for over thirty years. What these kids today do/don't do is like something from Mars, to me. They have no respect for responsibility. Somebody is paying the owner of the truck to move his property in a timely manner. These kids today don't seem to give an airborne copulation about professional service, promises between businessmen and the responsibility to do a good job for which they receive a nice paycheck. I don't know where it all ends...

Wow — yes, that would be enough to keep anyone away from the brew kettle...

But also, I fear my overly oblique sense of humor may have gone wide of the mark ... I was attempting a joke based on the ambiguity in parsing your post as "bottling one's first batch (in four years)" vs "bottling one's (first batch in four years)".  Intentionally choosing the (presumably incorrect) interpretation that the bottling was not happening for another four years. It wasn't a very good joke, and I apologize.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2024, 01:51:54 pm »

It wasn't a very good joke, and I apologize.

Not a problem. Nobody died and no blood was lost...