Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you create a recipe?  (Read 1066 times)

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: How do you create a recipe?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2024, 07:26:16 am »
Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew is my go-to source for answering some of the questions I have, for generating ideas, and for surveying the boundaries of a given style.  His book has lots of charts, graphs, and illustrations that make it much easier for me to find the info I need as compared to other books on brewing.  I would recommend it to anyone.

I would love to see Designing Great Beers (2nd Ed.). The book has a lot of really good info on commercial and homebrew recipes, and I'd still recommend it to anyone.  But the market has moved a bunch since 1996. It'd be awesome to see an update with new styles and a refreshed data set.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2024, 08:45:10 am »
Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew is my go-to source for answering some of the questions I have, for generating ideas, and for surveying the boundaries of a given style.  His book has lots of charts, graphs, and illustrations that make it much easier for me to find the info I need as compared to other books on brewing.  I would recommend it to anyone.

I would love to see Designing Great Beers (2nd Ed.). The book has a lot of really good info on commercial and homebrew recipes, and I'd still recommend it to anyone.  But the market has moved a bunch since 1996. It'd be awesome to see an update with new styles and a refreshed data set.

If it happens, it would have to be by someone other than Ray. He's moved on from beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2024, 09:11:39 am »
If it happens, it would have to be by someone other than Ray. He's moved on from beer.

Ah, well. It's probably a losing proposition financially, anyways. It would be a cool protect but with 9000-ish breweries just in the US, it would be a massive data collection, collation, and analysis project ... before you even start trying write it into a book. 😵‍💫

Maybe we could get all the brewers to agree to encode their recipes in the same markup language and then write some automated processing in Python (cuz everyone seems to use now)..... 😉
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2024, 11:19:17 am »

Ah, well. It's probably a losing proposition financially, anyways. It would be a cool protect but with 9000-ish breweries just in the US, it would be a massive data collection, collation, and analysis project ... before you even start trying write it into a book. 😵‍💫

Maybe we could get all the brewers to agree to encode their recipes in the same markup language and then write some automated processing in Python (cuz everyone seems to use now)..... 😉

DGB was about homebrews, not commercial breweries.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2024, 01:00:48 pm »

DGB was about homebrews, not commercial breweries.

There are a lot of stats from commercial recipes in there, too.

But you're right, a larger preponderance of the tables and recipe analysis is from the 2nd Round NHC recipes than I was remembering. I was remembering it as 50/50, but it's more like 85/15 home-to-commercial.

A lot of the commercial stuff I was remembering is historic, too, and wouldn't necessarily need to be redone.
The Other Drew

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
How do you create a recipe?
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2024, 08:32:33 pm »
I think your correlation might be inaccurate

Saw this and thought of you. Correlation ≠ Causation

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2024, 03:40:19 am »
^^^^ LOL

Charlie Bamforth seems to think a low boil isn't a great idea either. But I can reduce my boil quite a bit and still have a rolling boil.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2024, 08:14:27 am »

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Yeah, that was on my mind.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2024, 10:10:12 am »

Maybe the cat is a lot heavier than he looks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2024, 10:30:37 am »

Maybe the cat is a lot heavier than he looks.

And maybe pigs can fly

www.dennybrew.com