Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Propylene Glycol vs. RV anti-freeze  (Read 807 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Propylene Glycol vs. RV anti-freeze
« on: March 30, 2024, 12:39:47 pm »
I am going to change out the propylene glycol in my chiller. Originally used glycol from Farm&Family that is for ruminants. It worked well but time to change out. My question is, is it acceptable to use RV anti-freeze in place of glycol? Also, for the ones who have a chiller, what product do you use for glycol? Thanks in advance!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Propylene Glycol vs. RV anti-freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 12:52:57 pm »
I use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS8F1UW?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_QZ3Y5PVR5YNTT4JKJAAY

But you bring up a question....how do you know it's time to change? I've had the same glycol in mine for several years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 01:21:34 pm »
I use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS8F1UW?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_QZ3Y5PVR5YNTT4JKJAAY

But you bring up a question....how do you know it's time to change? I've had the same glycol in mine for several years.

So I took the cover off and it had a bit of dead and floating insects. Took the flashlight to it and could see the same on the bottom. Ive had the same glycol since it was new which is probably 5 maybe 6 y/o. so its best that I change it out imo. In reading today I came to understand that there is a degree of risk of corrosion if one doesn't use an inhibited glycol BUT after removing the liquid and inspecting the chiller, it looks brand new so I don't think there is any corrosion, at least to the naked eye. Thanks for the link Denny!

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 04:46:51 pm »
I don’t have a chiller, but the answer is a big NO. The FDA exists to educate us and prevent situations like this to occur. Ethylene glycol (auto antifreeze) is very toxic whereas propylene glycol (food grade) is not. No need to cheat death in your endeavor to make good beer.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 04:50:36 pm »
I don’t have a chiller, but the answer is a big NO. The FDA exists to educate us and prevent situations like this to occur. Ethylene glycol (auto antifreeze) is very toxic whereas propylene glycol (food grade) is not. No need to cheat death in your endeavor to make good beer.

Thank you for the response but I was speaking of RV antifreeze for winterizing the potable and or gray water systems, not the engine coolant aspect.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 04:56:58 pm »

Thank you for the response but I was speaking of RV antifreeze for winterizing the potable and or gray water systems, not the engine coolant aspect.

Ah, sorry about that. Propylene is propylene so it should be good.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 07:46:33 pm »
Apparently glycol breakdown can happen due to bacteria. But just check the plato and make sure you are still in the range. If you are, you are good to go!

Offline CFRAZIER77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 08:39:25 am »
For what it is worth, I have been using RV glycol for years. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 09:07:19 am »

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CFRAZIER77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 12:18:45 pm »

Denny, I greatly respect your opinions and regularly listen to your podcast.  But the original question is can RV glycol, which is rated safe for drinking lines used for human consumption, safe for fermentor glycol systems.  I have used it because I have it and use it for my RV.  Even through I flush my RV's fresh water lines there is still some residual in it that gets drunk.  Engine antifreeze is completely out of the question and not what is being asked about.

I am not saying therefor case closed RV glycol, for fresh water plumbing systems, is safe to use for fermentors.  Maybe it breaks down into unsafe chemicals or something else.  But, it is a fair question to ask and one that I have pondered often. 

Thank you for your good work and all that you have done for our hobby!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 12:30:37 pm »

Denny, I greatly respect your opinions and regularly listen to your podcast.  But the original question is can RV glycol, which is rated safe for drinking lines used for human consumption, safe for fermentor glycol systems.  I have used it because I have it and use it for my RV.  Even through I flush my RV's fresh water lines there is still some residual in it that gets drunk.  Engine antifreeze is completely out of the question and not what is being asked about.

I am not saying therefor case closed RV glycol, for fresh water plumbing systems, is safe to use for fermentors.  Maybe it breaks down into unsafe chemicals or something else.  But, it is a fair question to ask and one that I have pondered often. 

And thank you for the additional info.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline CFRAZIER77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 05:06:35 pm »

And thank you for the additional info.

of coarse, it is nice to have a conversation about beer without yelling....

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 03:44:09 pm »
To summarize (and ensure I understand)

Propylene Glycol IS RV antifreeze

Let me know if this is not correct.
Roger