Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you suppose it will have survived?  (Read 610 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Re: Do you suppose it will have survived?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2024, 09:05:59 am »
I see Morebeer has gallon glass jugs for $5 sans lid. 100mm Lug Lids are either $1 for solid or $2 with an airlock hole punched in. For just under $10 with lid, they have screw-thread jugs with 110mm plastic lids.  And they have the old vinegar-style/moonshine-style jugs with finger-loop handles with small openings as well. Ok, next order I'll probably add some of them.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2024, 09:32:10 am »
If you're going to use it for SNS, it would need to be a 1 gallon growler.
How about if I inject it with oxygen?  I would think that is plenty of O, no? 

I decided not to use my little-big-mouth-bubblers due to shaking all sorts of wort and crap onto the gaskets that I don't want all dirty and stained (if I can help it).  I haven't found any large glass containers cheap anywhere, and wasn't going to spend more on stuff I use once in a blue moon.  I already have loads of single use things I just couldn't live without. The house is full of em. :D

Seems like it, but I have no experience with that. Always seemed like an unnecessary hassle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2024, 10:17:41 am »

I decided not to use my little-big-mouth-bubblers due to shaking all sorts of wort and crap onto the gaskets that I don't want all dirty and stained (if I can help it).  I haven't found any large glass containers cheap anywhere, and wasn't going to spend more on stuff I use once in a blue moon.  I already have loads of single use things I just couldn't live without. The house is full of em. :D

Injecting with oxygen wouldn't hurt but it isn't as useful. With SNS you're periodically agitating CO2 out and agitating oxygen into the starter. You want to keep the yeast in your starter in their growth phase as long as you can which requires oxygen, rather than a beer where you only want that growth phase initially. Of course, if you're only shaking that SNS starter once or twice, you might be better off injecting oxygen up front.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2024, 10:29:13 am »
Seems like it, but I have no experience with that. Always seemed like an unnecessary hassle.
I have a pretty slick arrangement for that so I'd say it's easier than cleaning up the BMB lid. 
Injecting with oxygen wouldn't hurt but it isn't as useful. With SNS you're periodically agitating CO2 out and agitating oxygen into the starter. You want to keep the yeast in your starter in their growth phase as long as you can which requires oxygen, rather than a beer where you only want that growth phase initially. Of course, if you're only shaking that SNS starter once or twice, you might be better off injecting oxygen up front.
Hmm, so this is also supposed to include de-gassing the starter CO2?  Keeps sounding more and more like I'd be better off with the small opening jugs instead of the wide-mouth ones with the 100 or 110mm lids. For now, I may just continue to run the stir plate as slow as possible, (which on mine is super slow), and just inject the O. Like everything, I suspect my process will evolve over time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2024, 10:52:08 am »

With SNS, you only agitate prior to pitching. There is no need for any more. The purpose of shaking a large container is so it fills with foam and you get all the O2 you need in the beginning.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2024, 10:52:55 am »
I have a pretty slick arrangement for that so I'd say it's easier than cleaning up the BMB lid. 
Hmm, so this is also supposed to include de-gassing the starter CO2?  Keeps sounding more and more like I'd be better off with the small opening jugs instead of the wide-mouth ones with the 100 or 110mm lids. For now, I may just continue to run the stir plate as slow as possible, (which on mine is super slow), and just inject the O. Like everything, I suspect my process will evolve over time.

No, you don't degas the starter.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2024, 03:28:52 pm »
Okay, Fair enough. Then given the containers that I have and the fact that it's easy to just inject oxygen, it makes more sense for me to just do that and call it a day. Even if I have to do it more than once, no big deal.

If I would just retire like Brewbama and I could then Brew on any day that ends in Y, all of this time aspect would be a non issue. LOL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2024, 08:19:21 am »
Okay, Fair enough. Then given the containers that I have and the fact that it's easy to just inject oxygen, it makes more sense for me to just do that and call it a day. Even if I have to do it more than once, no big deal.

If I would just retire like Brewbama and I could then Brew on any day that ends in Y, all of this time aspect would be a non issue. LOL

I find that I brew less once I retired than I did when I was working. Go figure.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2024, 09:12:10 am »
I shook up a jar of slurry saved 2 weeks before and threw it in last night. Straight from the fridge and still cold.  Within 2 hours it was covered in foam and was bubbling, so had to have taken off instantly.  I left the temp at 10.5C which is sightly low for the slurry yeast strain.  The idea was to use liquid yeast and see how many times I could pitch it.  Looks like I'll just give up on that idea and pitch what I have which is all harvested dry yeast.