Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lalleman Verdant IPA yeast  (Read 761 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Lalleman Verdant IPA yeast
« on: April 27, 2024, 08:41:31 am »
I have been doing a bit of reading about this yeast and it intrigues me. I love apricot and one of the flavors on this is just that. My confusion runs into the best temp to run this at. The recipe I am using is this:

https://share.brewfather.app/Tg49h6TXdRgmZd

I am wondering if going lower in the temp range will bring out the apricot in the yeast, or going higher would be better? Also, the original recipe I saw the grain bill was a bit lower, so I rounded up just to make it easier as I have to buy grain in 1 pound increments. Any input on the recipe or the yeast is much appreciated.

Also, I was thinking of upping my base malt by a pound or two just to get my OG up. But my thought is to just go with what it is and see what I get.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lalleman Verdant IPA yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 08:52:15 am »
Looks good.  Nitpicky comments: Personally I would ditch the Carapils and wheat, those are doing nothing for you, but it also won't hurt to leave them in if you've got them already.  The IBU calculation is totally wrong, I would estimate closer to 70 IBUs for this recipe, as the hop stand is going to give you much more IBUs than Brewfather says.  Maybe adjust the hop stand time down to like 10 minutes instead of 30, that would give you closer to 50 IBUs, with just as much flavor and aroma if not more.  Verdant is an excellent yeast, I would ferment it in mid-60s F and just let 'er rip.  I haven't used it enough to know how it behaves at different temperatures but a split batch experiment at different temps could be interesting.

Enjoy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 10:05:58 am »
I have been doing a bit of reading about this yeast and it intrigues me. I love apricot and one of the flavors on this is just that. My confusion runs into the best temp to run this at. The recipe I am using is this:

I am wondering if going lower in the temp range will bring out the apricot in the yeast, or going higher would be better? Also, the original recipe I saw the grain bill was a bit lower, so I rounded up just to make it easier as I have to buy grain in 1 pound increments. Any input on the recipe or the yeast is much appreciated.

Also, I was thinking of upping my base malt by a pound or two just to get my OG up. But my thought is to just go with what it is and see what I get.

In general, you will bring out more esters with higher temps than lower. Just don't get carried away.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 12:20:46 pm »

I'd pitch at 68F and let it go to maybe 72ish. When I run Verdant at 65F, or if I overpitch, there isn't much ester character in the finished beer. Also, with the amount of hops in that recipe the ester character will probably be overshadowed by the hops. It will contribute to the flavor, but expect it to be a low background note.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 08:35:38 am »
Looks good.  Nitpicky comments: Personally I would ditch the Carapils and wheat, those are doing nothing for you, but it also won't hurt to leave them in if you've got them already. The IBU calculation is totally wrong, I would estimate closer to 70 IBUs for this recipe, as the hop stand is going to give you much more IBUs than Brewfather says.  Maybe adjust the hop stand time down to like 10 minutes instead of 30, that would give you closer to 50 IBUs, with just as much flavor and aroma if not more. Verdant is an excellent yeast, I would ferment it in mid-60s F and just let 'er rip.  I haven't used it enough to know how it behaves at different temperatures but a split batch experiment at different temps could be interesting.

Enjoy.

Thank you for the info.  I have never done a hopstand before so this will be a first.  I will adjust it down a bit cause I really want to shoot for a mid level bittering.  Also, I already have all the ingredients so I am going to add them as the recipe says.  I might up the MO by a pound to get my OG and ABV up a bit, but that might be a game time decision. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 08:38:49 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 08:39:30 am »

In general, you will bring out more esters with higher temps than lower. Just don't get carried away.

I was thinking somewhere in the 68 to 70 range? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 10:18:37 am »

I was thinking somewhere in the 68 to 70 range?

I certainly wouldn't go any higher than that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 08:30:29 am »
OK, so today is brew day I think.  I upped my Maris Otter by a pound, and rounded up the Golden Promise to a pound.  I also dropped the hop stand to about 10 mins.  My OG is sitting at about 1.052 with my IBU at about 40.  My thought is to get my chiller going and stop it when my wort hits about 175 and carry over should put it at about 170.  Do a hop stand in a separate bag for about 10 mins and then start the chiller up again.  When the wort reaches about 68 degrees I will add my yeast and in the fermenter it will go.  I will set my inkbird to about hold at 70 or so.  I might have to use a heating pad as my fridge does not get that high, but I have done it in the past with decent results. 

Anybody see anything I should be concerned about in this theory?   

Offline Finn Berger

• 1st Kit
  • Retired teacher with a writing itch
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 01:10:12 am »
How did this work out? I'd be sceptical about fermenting that high - primarily because of risk of fusel -  but I'm willing to be told I needn't be:). (I would have started it as low as 62, and then allowed it to rise - but not too fast - up to maybe 70.)

That yeast tends to be pretty expansive, and even if it's not quite as lively as Wyeast 1318, it still can cause quite a mess - and especially when you give it that much loving warm care:).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 01:15:32 am by Finn Berger »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 12:00:58 am »
Sorry for not updating the thread.  After fermentation and during bottling it smelled really good.  So good, even my wife, who hates beer said it smelled very very good.  I bottled and let it sit in the closet for about a week.  I wanted to go a bit longer but couldn't wait, so I opened one after putting in the fridge for a day.  I have to say, this was one of my better beers.  I tasted nothing off.  It tasted like stone fruit and had a bit of maybe pineapple or something in the range.  I would not hesitate to use this yeast again.  I think I started around 66 or so and let it run up to 70.  My thought was to keep it around 68, but after reading a few threads thought that 70 might be ok.  It was very tasty so far.  My next thought it to try and make two batches of the same recipe, one with a different yeast, and one with the Verdant and see what I end up with.  But for an initial try I was very happy with the way it turned out.