Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Midyear 2024 Update for AHA Members and new AHA Forum  (Read 806 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Midyear 2024 Update for AHA Members and new AHA Forum
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2024, 08:33:01 am »
I was extremely vocal about my displeasure when the Northern Brewer forum conversion happened (this was roughly 10 years ago?).  I had invested literally probably thousands of hours on the NB forum prior to the transition, and considered it the best of all forums or in the top 2 anyway, it used to be great, with a ton of traffic.  What really caused the most pain with the NB transition to their new forum platform was that all links were immediately broken.  Links had been previously listed within threads and/or which had been previously distributed all over the web (e.g., favorite recipes, favorite threads, useful brewing tips and advice, etc.) all immediately were broken so you couldn't find any of that stuff easily anymore, and they also only transferred a small portion of previous threads to the new forum and not 100%, so even if the links had worked, a lot of the stuff was just GONE.

Let's please, PLEASE, not ruin all the links, if at all possible.  I have no idea how the new AHA platform functions, but IF the new platform breaks links, then I would be 1000% against changing it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:36:05 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2024, 09:37:08 am »
I was extremely vocal about my displeasure when the Northern Brewer forum conversion happened (this was roughly 10 years ago?).  I had invested literally probably thousands of hours on the NB forum prior to the transition, and considered it the best of all forums or in the top 2 anyway, it used to be great, with a ton of traffic.  What really caused the most pain with the NB transition to their new forum platform was that all links were immediately broken.  Links had been previously listed within threads and/or which had been previously distributed all over the web (e.g., favorite recipes, favorite threads, useful brewing tips and advice, etc.) all immediately were broken so you couldn't find any of that stuff easily anymore, and they also only transferred a small portion of previous threads to the new forum and not 100%, so even if the links had worked, a lot of the stuff was just GONE.

Let's please, PLEASE, not ruin all the links, if at all possible.  I have no idea how the new AHA platform functions, but IF the new platform breaks links, then I would be 1000% against changing it.

Thanks for these items to watch out for. Keep sharing them. #PayingAttention.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2024, 03:34:48 pm »

If you're talking about links in the body of one post to other posts, that's gonna be a non-trivial challenge.

For my 2¢, if the migration makes search work again and allows direct uploading of images, it's worth it even if it breaks the links.

Edit: I like the idea of “Born mobile” and modern spam-blocking, too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 03:38:10 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2024, 04:18:01 pm »

To shift away from the forum discussion:

I realize I'm not everybody, and others may have different, equally valid perspectives, but here are my random thoughts on some of the topics in the update.

What resources and member benefits fit for tomorrow’s members? What solutions should the AHA provide, and what programs or services will see the most engagement?

I think the survey responses provide at least some guidance:

• Information on brewing technology and techniques;
• providing validated recipes; and
• improving homebrewing rights and privileges.

What business model sets the AHA up for future success?

Two main thoughts here:

One, I think there's to merit to the idea of spinning of from the BA. Automotive hobbyists don't join a subsidiary of the SAE, as far as I know. Hobbyists have a rather different set of needs and priorities from people trying to make a living at something.

Second, I like the idea that's been thrown around before of "federalizing" the AHA. Let clubs be like VFW posts or scout troops that aggregate into local and regional "councils" and districts. Map these groups onto local & regional rounds of the NHC ... and segue into the next question ——

What type of national and annual gathering will resonate and attract the most members, where should it be hosted, and what is a reasonable cost of attendance? How can the AHA continue providing community when fewer members attend events?   

Smaller regional gatherings that require less investment from the organizer and the attendees.

I can pop over to Atlanta, say, for a "Southeast Homebrew Conference" at lot easier than buying airfare to a national conference.  I'm fairly comfortable financially, but my household budget can't support solo trips to Cali or Colorado for my hobby.

And the focus needs to be on community. There are so many articles, videos, & books floating around that no one needs to go to a conference to listen to lectures. The focus needs to be on the face-to-face interaction that can't happen online or in print. If there's an educational forum, it needs to be the hands on stuff you can't do virtually.

(For those same reasons, I don't think online conferences are a good option.)

What role should the AHA play in supporting homebrew clubs and retail supply shops?

Unless you're going to directly subsidize them so they can compete with the "Amazon-ization" of retail, I'm not sure there's much we can do. Small specialty shops of all sorts are struggling.

What technologies and media platforms best serve how you, as members, want to receive information?

Can I vote for not videos?  Text and audio are best for me.

How can we get more beginners to homebrew and those who are intermediate to advance?

For beginners, focus on low-cost beginners kits. Things that people can do without a bunch of new hardware.

What evolutions in homebrewing should we anticipate, and what other fermentation and beverage interests will AHA members have?

I don't know that I can anticipate any "hot new things", but I enjoy the coverage of non-beer recipes & techniques in Zymurgy when new (or old) things pop up.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2024, 10:20:28 am »

To shift away from the forum discussion:

I realize I'm not everybody, and others may have different, equally valid perspectives, but here are my random thoughts on some of the topics in the update.

What resources and member benefits fit for tomorrow’s members? What solutions should the AHA provide, and what programs or services will see the most engagement?

I think the survey responses provide at least some guidance:

• Information on brewing technology and techniques;
• providing validated recipes; and
• improving homebrewing rights and privileges.

What business model sets the AHA up for future success?

Two main thoughts here:

One, I think there's to merit to the idea of spinning of from the BA. Automotive hobbyists don't join a subsidiary of the SAE, as far as I know. Hobbyists have a rather different set of needs and priorities from people trying to make a living at something.

Second, I like the idea that's been thrown around before of "federalizing" the AHA. Let clubs be like VFW posts or scout troops that aggregate into local and regional "councils" and districts. Map these groups onto local & regional rounds of the NHC ... and segue into the next question ——

What type of national and annual gathering will resonate and attract the most members, where should it be hosted, and what is a reasonable cost of attendance? How can the AHA continue providing community when fewer members attend events?   

Smaller regional gatherings that require less investment from the organizer and the attendees.

I can pop over to Atlanta, say, for a "Southeast Homebrew Conference" at lot easier than buying airfare to a national conference.  I'm fairly comfortable financially, but my household budget can't support solo trips to Cali or Colorado for my hobby.

And the focus needs to be on community. There are so many articles, videos, & books floating around that no one needs to go to a conference to listen to lectures. The focus needs to be on the face-to-face interaction that can't happen online or in print. If there's an educational forum, it needs to be the hands on stuff you can't do virtually.

(For those same reasons, I don't think online conferences are a good option.)

What role should the AHA play in supporting homebrew clubs and retail supply shops?

Unless you're going to directly subsidize them so they can compete with the "Amazon-ization" of retail, I'm not sure there's much we can do. Small specialty shops of all sorts are struggling.

What technologies and media platforms best serve how you, as members, want to receive information?

Can I vote for not videos?  Text and audio are best for me.

How can we get more beginners to homebrew and those who are intermediate to advance?

For beginners, focus on low-cost beginners kits. Things that people can do without a bunch of new hardware.

What evolutions in homebrewing should we anticipate, and what other fermentation and beverage interests will AHA members have?

I don't know that I can anticipate any "hot new things", but I enjoy the coverage of non-beer recipes & techniques in Zymurgy when new (or old) things pop up.

Lots of good ideas,  but a reality...I don't see any any way the AHA could separate from the BA.  Low cost kits are great, but somehow you have to male people want them and to want to get involved with brewing. But people just aren't into beer the way they used to be. Until beer becomes the cool beverage again, I don't see much demand for  brewing kits.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2024, 11:15:58 am »
Thanks for these thoughts.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2024, 02:22:57 pm »

If you're talking about links in the body of one post to other posts, that's gonna be a non-trivial challenge.

For my 2¢, if the migration makes search work again and allows direct uploading of images, it's worth it even if it breaks the links.

That, right there. I expect broken links after a migration. The inability to search the Forum directly has frustrated me for years -- and the news that this is being addressed goes a long long way toward making me think I will renew next year. It's not just that the search function is being addressed, it's the sense that there is investment in AHA and its member services from staff and member leaders.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2024, 07:55:50 pm »

That, right there. I expect broken links after a migration. The inability to search the Forum directly has frustrated me for years -- and the news that this is being addressed goes a long long way toward making me think I will renew next year. It's not just that the search function is being addressed, it's the sense that there is investment in AHA and its member services from staff and member leaders.

Thank you for sharing these words kgs and here is to the 'new' AHA forum, seach and MORE. Julia
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director