Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: diacetyl question  (Read 1090 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
diacetyl question
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2024, 07:30:11 pm »
Thanks for that. I have received reports of diacetyl scoring a 30 at one competition then the same beer was awarded a 1st place w/ a 40 at another competition. It was bottled and shipped the same day and judged the same weekend.

Oh well. A little ALDC and time is easy enough.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 07:32:57 pm by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: diacetyl question
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 05:42:41 am »
Thanks for that. I have received reports of diacetyl scoring a 30 at one competition then the same beer was awarded a 1st place w/ a 40 at another competition. It was bottled and shipped the same day and judged the same weekend.

Oh well. A little ALDC and time is easy enough.

One judge pair could have been very sensitive, the other not so much. The luck of the draw on judges.

Sometimes caramel flavors are mistaken for Diacetyl.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 05:44:16 am »
Time on the yeast will reduce diacetyl. Another technique is to Krausen the beer with actively fermenting yeast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 07:07:44 am »
Time on the yeast will reduce diacetyl. Another technique is to Krausen the beer with actively fermenting yeast.
+1

One judge pair could have been very sensitive, the other not so much. The luck of the draw on judges.

Sometimes caramel flavors are mistaken for Diacetyl.

+1

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 10:36:40 am »
I have been brewing since 1990 and have brewed hundreds of batches of beer. I have only detected diacetyl once in all those years, in a Czech pilsner where I was trying to encourage diacetyl by fermenting at very low temperature, and even then it was gone in a couple of weeks.

I sure wish I knew how people keep getting diacetyl in their beer. I like a little in certain styles, but despite my best efforts cannot get it. Even underpitching Ringwood.

I'm with you. In 611 batches I can count the ones with diacetyl on one hand. Kinda like hop creep. I hear people say frequently that they've gotten it. I have tried repeatedly to make it happen and I can't.

I think if you take your time you can almost always avoid it. It's when you speed up the process that it becomes a problem. Which has been in my case. I am also hypersensitive to it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:39:17 am by majorvices »

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 06:06:49 pm »
If the wort was held in your fermenter at 66 F for an ale until fermentation was complete, and then you bottled it at that temp adding priming sugar, could you perform a diacetyl rest in the bottles by warming them up to 72 F and holding them at that temp while bottle carbonation was increasing?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Highly unlikely. D rest isn't about temp, it's about yeast. You raise the temp only to make the yeast more active to consume the d. There isn't enough yeast left to do that at this point.
  In Gordon Strong's book, Brewing Better Beer,  in a discussion about diacetyl on page 235, he states that, " Bottle conditioning beer at cellar temperatures also gives the yeast additional time to reduce the diacetyl."
I happened to find that quote after I asked the question and read several replies.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!