Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash recirculation. Why?  (Read 639 times)

Offline KilroyWasHere

• Cellarman
  • Lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime
Mash recirculation. Why?
« on: April 16, 2024, 05:01:12 pm »
What are the benefits of mash recirculation? Is it simply extraction/efficiency?
Beer! No great story ever starts with someone eating a salad.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy to sustain him through temporary periods of joy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash recirculation. Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 05:04:20 pm »
What are the benefits of mash recirculation? Is it simply extraction/efficiency?

yeah, I think that's pretty much it.  Evens out temp throughout the grain bed. too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KilroyWasHere

• Cellarman
  • Lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 05:14:11 pm »
Thanks Denny. I'm a BIAB devotee and have always wondered how the temperature distribution throughout the mash in the bag/kettle affects the end product. Seems to only be a 'significant' temperature deviation between the wort and the grain bed as I ramp up the temperature if I am doing a step mash. I stir the mash but very carefully to limit oxygen introduction.
Beer! No great story ever starts with someone eating a salad.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy to sustain him through temporary periods of joy.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 05:21:02 pm »
There's more.

Generally recirculating systems can step mash. Allow for low mash in temperature and slow rises to mash temperatures.

Filters out tannin containing particles (clean wort to kettle).

Through sight glass, you can use as proxy for alpha conversion.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 02:11:27 pm »
As I understand things helps with mash liquid disbursement, extraction, clarification, etc.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 12:39:49 pm »
I've always been skeptical of the bang-for-the-buck of recirculating systems and their associated equipment costs versus just letting a mash sit in an insulated vessel, which suits my needs just fine. 

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 09:20:05 am »
I've always been skeptical of the bang-for-the-buck of recirculating systems and their associated equipment costs versus just letting a mash sit in an insulated vessel, which suits my needs just fine.

Two thumbs up on that observation!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 09:59:42 am »
There are at least two ways to redistribute and homogenize a mixture of solids and liquids: physically redistribute the solids (mix and stir) or redistribute the liquid.

Physically mixing and stirring mash in a tun is pretty difficult and probably uneven, even with the best rake or stirring system. It's downright poor with just a paddle. Pumping the wort through that mash is a lot easier and more effective (as long as the flow distributor and collector system are well designed). 

I went to a RIMS for my brewing over 20 years ago and haven't regretted it. About 6 or 7 years ago, I finally accepted and understood that avoiding oxygen contact with wort was the secret to producing the malt character that's found in good commercial German lagers and I implemented a mash cap system that significantly reduces that air contact. That factor is a serious reason to consider RIMS since any sort of stirring at the homebrew level is likely to introduce a lot of air contact to the grist and wort.  While I agree that LODO isn't appropriate for all beer styles, it can certainly make a difference in some.

I recirculate constantly with my RIMS and I've wondered if that is 'tearing up' my wort and causing problems like reducing the length of protein chains. I think my beers still have body, so I don't think that occurs.  If someone has a differing opinion, I'd like to hear it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 10:07:00 am »
There are at least two ways to redistribute and homogenize a mixture of solids and liquids: physically redistribute the solids (mix and stir) or redistribute the liquid.

Physically mixing and stirring mash in a tun is pretty difficult and probably uneven, even with the best rake or stirring system. It's downright poor with just a paddle. Pumping the wort through that mash is a lot easier and more effective (as long as the flow distributor and collector system are well designed). 

I went to a RIMS for my brewing over 20 years ago and haven't regretted it. About 6 or 7 years ago, I finally accepted and understood that avoiding oxygen contact with wort was the secret to producing the malt character that's found in good commercial German lagers and I implemented a mash cap system that significantly reduces that air contact. That factor is a serious reason to consider RIMS since any sort of stirring at the homebrew level is likely to introduce a lot of air contact to the grist and wort.  While I agree that LODO isn't appropriate for all beer styles, it can certainly make a difference in some.

I recirculate constantly with my RIMS and I've wondered if that is 'tearing up' my wort and causing problems like reducing the length of protein chains. I think my beers still have body, so I don't think that occurs.  If someone has a differing opinion, I'd like to hear it.
Thanks for taking the time.
Hope someone's reading.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 01:39:58 pm »

Hope someone's reading.

I am reading.
I have an old school three vessel system and use a pump and low propane direct fire to recirculate and raise mash temps. I usually mash in 148+-F for a while, then recirc and increase temps to a 158F rest then again to mash out temps. I also take care with introducing extra air by minimal stirring and mash liquor capping the mash - no splashing.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 06:06:07 pm »

Hope someone's reading.

I stir my mash once or twice and don't pre-boil my dough-in liquor or underlet it into my tun.  I also batch sparge so oxygen is there I'm sure.  I am reading and know the different perspectives on the hobby.

I'm OK with it and the beers I brew that way.  I can't justify purchasing gear when I have a family to support and other priorities.  I suppose I could move more into LODO territory by not stirring and not sparging and still use the same gear.