Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just joined April 26, 2023  (Read 1133 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Just joined April 26, 2023
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2024, 10:41:19 pm »

... ... because LME sinks rapidly to the bottom of the kettle, removing the kettle from the heat source (or turning the heat off) will help prevent scorching.
My plan is to either triple or quadruple the weight of the malt syrup with water. One pound of malt syrup will be mixed-in with three pounds of water (four pounds max): My 9.039 pounds of Pale syrup extract will be met with 27-some pounds of water (36-some pounds max). I believe this will keep the syrup from scorching. It will also be stirred for the entire sixty minuets of the boil. 36-some pounds is only 4.3-plus gallons-- in my eight-gallon kettle.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2024, 08:08:32 am »

... ... because LME sinks rapidly to the bottom of the kettle, removing the kettle from the heat source (or turning the heat off) will help prevent scorching.
My plan is to either triple or quadruple the weight of the malt syrup with water. One pound of malt syrup will be mixed-in with three pounds of water (four pounds max): My 9.039 pounds of Pale syrup extract will be met with 27-some pounds of water (36-some pounds max). I believe this will keep the syrup from scorching. It will also be stirred for the entire sixty minuets of the boil. 36-some pounds is only 4.3-plus gallons-- in my eight-gallon kettle.

Let's do some math....27ish lb of water is about 3.5 gal. You'll get 352 gravity points from the extract. That will give you an OG in excess of 1.100. You may want to rethink your plan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2024, 12:51:23 pm »

Let's do some math....27ish lb of water is about 3.5 gal. You'll get 352 gravity points from the extract. That will give you an OG in excess of 1.100. You may want to rethink your plan.

The volume of water in the kettle is just to keep the malt from scorching. It's about half as much as will be the total volume in the fermenter. My 9.039 pounds of unhopped Pale malt will be dissolved into a total volume of 7.23 gallons of water once everything is in the fermenter. 9.039 divided by 7.23 = 1.25 pounds of malt per gallon of liquid to be fermented. I'll use 7.25 gallons because it's easier to measure than is 7.23 gallons. 9.039 divided by 7.25 = 1.246; close enough...

I came to these "pounds of malt per gallons of water" measurements because that's what I see when I look at a can of mr. beer prehopped syrup. A 1.87-pound tin of syrup (the small cans) is dissolved into a total volume of 2.125 gallons of water. 1.87 divided by 2.125 = 0.88 pounds of syrup per gallon. The larger cans (2.87 pounds) are also dissolved into 2.125 gallons of water = 1.346 pounds of syrup per gallon. My standard for "enough malt" in a beer is 1.25 pounds of syrup per gallon of water. Should I ferment eight gallons of wort, I will need 6.4 pounds of malt to be a portion of those eight gallons. I already have two each one-gallon jugs nearly full of unhopped syrup (Pale and Amber), so all I need to do is to vary the amount of water in my twelve-gallon fermenter-- after the boiled and cooled wort is poured into the fermenter-- to get the desired pounds of syrup per gallon of total volume that I want.

I got a D- in Freshman Calculus at Virginia Tech, but I believe my thinking about how many pounds of syrup I want in however many gallons I want to ferment is not a poor method for making beer, considering that I take the proven results of what mr. beer sells and reproduce it in my home. I don't give a flying fudge-cicle about OG, IG and OMG. My method is to let the stuff bubble for 18 to 20 days, then bottle it. The three-gallon conical from brewdemon uses just a loose plug to let-off the carbon dioxide. The 3/4" hole fits a stopper with an airlock, but brewdemon saw no need to include one with the fermenter. I have one of their conicals. They're really nice for keeping the yeast sludge below the spigot and the big mouth up top makes them really easy to clean.

Speaking of brewdemon, they sell 1.21-pound cans of prehopped syrup that make one gallon of wort. That's 1.21 pounds of syrup per gallon to be fermented, which is dam-ned close to my 1.25 pounds per gallon standard dilution. So that's at least two homebrew companies from which I gather the information with which I will proceed with my efforts.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 01:18:22 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2024, 05:09:45 pm »

The volume of water in the kettle is just to keep the malt from scorching. It's about half as much as will be the total volume in the fermenter. My 9.039 pounds of unhopped Pale malt will be dissolved into a total volume of 7.23 gallons of water once everything is in the fermenter. 9.039 divided by 7.23 = 1.25 pounds of malt per gallon of liquid to be fermented. I'll use 7.25 gallons because it's easier to measure than is 7.23 gallons. 9.039 divided by 7.25 = 1.246; close enough...

I came to these "pounds of malt per gallons of water" measurements because that's what I see when I look at a can of mr. beer prehopped syrup. A 1.87-pound tin of syrup (the small cans) is dissolved into a total volume of 2.125 gallons of water. 1.87 divided by 2.125 = 0.88 pounds of syrup per gallon. The larger cans (2.87 pounds) are also dissolved into 2.125 gallons of water = 1.346 pounds of syrup per gallon. My standard for "enough malt" in a beer is 1.25 pounds of syrup per gallon of water. Should I ferment eight gallons of wort, I will need 6.4 pounds of malt to be a portion of those eight gallons. I already have two each one-gallon jugs nearly full of unhopped syrup (Pale and Amber), so all I need to do is to vary the amount of water in my twelve-gallon fermenter-- after the boiled and cooled wort is poured into the fermenter-- to get the desired pounds of syrup per gallon of total volume that I want.

I got a D- in Freshman Calculus at Virginia Tech, but I believe my thinking about how many pounds of syrup I want in however many gallons I want to ferment is not a poor method for making beer, considering that I take the proven results of what mr. beer sells and reproduce it in my home. I don't give a flying fudge-cicle about OG, IG and OMG. My method is to let the stuff bubble for 18 to 20 days, then bottle it. The three-gallon conical from brewdemon uses just a loose plug to let-off the carbon dioxide. The 3/4" hole fits a stopper with an airlock, but brewdemon saw no need to include one with the fermenter. I have one of their conicals. They're really nice for keeping the yeast sludge below the spigot and the big mouth up top makes them really easy to clean.

Speaking of brewdemon, they sell 1.21-pound cans of prehopped syrup that make one gallon of wort. That's 1.21 pounds of syrup per gallon to be fermented, which is dam-ned close to my 1.25 pounds per gallon standard dilution. So that's at least two homebrew companies from which I gather the information with which I will proceed with my efforts.
Thanks for clarifying that you're using process similar to Mr Beer.  I have no experience with Mr Beer kits, so I'm going to 'stand aside' at this point in the topic.