Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Tripel  (Read 777 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Belgian Tripel
« on: February 20, 2024, 03:29:47 pm »
Putting together a tripel recipe. As usual, I always look at what the style is, multiple recipes on this forum, BLAM and other resources. I notice most recipes have an inclusion of melanoidin, biscuit or aromatic type malts. Even seen one with Red X. I don't want that. I want a triple with pilsner malt, acidulated and some sort of sugar, preferably light in color sugar but piloncillio sugar strikes an interest.

What is the best approach to achieving a triple w/o all of the other grains? A step mash? Say start at the upper ends of a protein rest and mash for fermentability? I mean is a triple basically a super-charged "pilsner" with a in your face hit of hops and Belgian yeast??

Online swampale

• Assistant Brewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Tripel
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 08:35:10 am »
My tripel is pils malt and table sugar. Just like Westmalle. If you intend to brew much in the way of Belgian styles, you need to read Brew Like a Monk.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 01:42:19 pm »
I like to step mash tripels to improve fermentability as well. I like a 60 minute rest in the low to mid 140°Fs for 60 min, then add an infusion of boiling water to raise the mash to the low to mid 150°Fs for 30 min. Never have an issue with a stuck fermentation with that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 01:44:18 pm »
I like to step mash tripels to improve fermentability as well. I like a 60 minute rest in the low to mid 140°Fs for 60 min, then add an infusion of boiling water to raise the mash to the low to mid 150°Fs for 30 min. Never have an issue with a stuck fermentation with that.

same
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 08:06:14 am »

Sounds like a Hochurz mash.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 08:49:26 am »
Personally, I like to add a little something besides pilsner malt and sugar (aromatic or torrified wheat), but a Hochurz mash will serve you well either way.  I saw your other post about incremental feeding, which you can obviously try if you want, but it shouldn't be necessary with a good pitch of healthy 3787 and proper oxygenation.  If you haven't used 3787 before, get ready for a massive krausen.  You will likely get some blowoff unless you have several gallons of head space in your fermentor (at least that has been my experience, and I use it quite a bit).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 08:57:15 am »
FWIW, I use Dingemans Pilsner and table sugar in my Tripel but add about 2% Aromatic Malt for flavor.  I normally ferment with Ardennes Yeast (3522) but am considering 3787 the next time.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 04:53:21 am »
I too use a little aromatic with pils and sugar.  I use 3864, pitch high 60’s and let it rise.
Jeff B