Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Award Winning Recipes  (Read 1189 times)

Offline 1GSHELLMAN

• 1st Kit
Re: AHA Award Winning Recipes
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 10:29:44 am »
Hi Duncan - the link is https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/a-day-in-vienna-vienna-lager/
The SRM listed could be the EBC value - I'm not sure - just not within the style guidelines as listed.  Thanks and BREW!!!

Offline 1GSHELLMAN

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 10:31:53 am »
Yep Denny, I figured as much. I looked at an award-winning recipe of a Helles that my cousin won Gold with, and it had water prep with 12 Campden tabs, that didn't really make sense. Guess it's like - let the buyer beware, bwahahaha!!! Fortunately, I was able to talk with my cousin and get the straight story.
 Take care Buddy!  BREW!!!

Like any recipe anywhere, you have to know enough to know if its wrong
Turns out the Campden tab info is correct.  My cousin got it from an article on German LODO brewing and shared that with me. Those pesky low oxygen brewers, Bwahahaha!!! BREW!!!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 01:02:38 pm »
Turns out the Campden tab info is correct.  My cousin got it from an article on German LODO brewing and shared that with me. Those pesky low oxygen brewers, Bwahahaha!!!

Oh, in that case, I don’t know if they used enough
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 10:12:57 am »
Yep Denny, I figured as much. I looked at an award-winning recipe of a Helles that my cousin won Gold with, and it had water prep with 12 Campden tabs, that didn't really make sense. Guess it's like - let the buyer beware, bwahahaha!!! Fortunately, I was able to talk with my cousin and get the straight story.

Turns out the Campden tab info is correct.  My cousin got it from an article on German LODO brewing and shared that with me. Those pesky low oxygen brewers, Bwahahaha!!! BREW!!!

Oh cool! Glad to hear it. Appreciate you following up, too!!

BREW ON
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 03:19:53 pm »

Wait...  so you're saying that your cousin's gold-medal winning helles was using water that was treated with 12 [TWELVE!] campden tablets?  For a 5-gallon or 10-gallon batch???  I mean, even for 200 gallons, that would still be overkill, right?

In terms of water chemistry, what does adding more campden than needed do to one's water? 

I don't do anything with water chemistry (except campden) as my tap water tastes pretty good and I'm told that north-Atlanta has a very good water profile for beer (coming out of Lake Lanier, presumably).  So I've never bothered to learn about adjusting my water.

I have wondered what effect doubling my campden treatment would produce, but haven't dared to maybe 'waste' a batch to test it out.  If 12 tablets didn't really hurt your cousin's beer, then maybe it's a low-risk experiment... 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 03:41:34 pm »
Wait...  so you're saying that your cousin's gold-medal winning helles was using water that was treated with 12 [TWELVE!] campden tablets?  For a 5-gallon or 10-gallon batch???  I mean, even for 200 gallons, that would still be overkill, right?

In terms of water chemistry, what does adding more campden than needed do to one's water? 

I don't do anything with water chemistry (except campden) as my tap water tastes pretty good and I'm told that north-Atlanta has a very good water profile for beer (coming out of Lake Lanier, presumably).  So I've never bothered to learn about adjusting my water.

I have wondered what effect doubling my campden treatment would produce, but haven't dared to maybe 'waste' a batch to test it out.  If 12 tablets didn't really hurt your cousin's beer, then maybe it's a low-risk experiment...

One of the principles around LODO brewing is using preservatives to avoid oxidation through the brewing process. They aren't adding campden to solve a chlorine/chloramine problem. We have proponents of that style of brewing here who can explain better than I can.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing