Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 47012 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #480 on: June 02, 2024, 03:06:35 pm »
A Dutch oven full of the musical fruit. Followed by chicken wings and spinach salad from the garden.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #481 on: June 05, 2024, 07:10:52 am »
I can't have corned beef because of my alpha gal syndrome so I corned some duck breast.
Dinner looks great!

Question for you.  I have a friend with alpha gal, and a few times during summer a group of us gather at my place for drinks and food. I have to make food suitable for him. Sometimes we all have it, other times I make two menus. I'm looking at using gelatin as a clarifier for the first time. and I have a feeling that's tabu for his consumption.  Is that correct?  If so, I'll have to note which beers are cleared and which are not so as to be certain we're not headed to the hospital or using up epi-pens unnecessarily.  I could simply not use the gelatin but I'm curious about the results, and this isn't something that happens often enough for me to adjust my SOP.  I know what beers he likes best so I suppose I can just not clear those.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #482 on: June 05, 2024, 07:39:26 am »
I can't have corned beef because of my alpha gal syndrome so I corned some duck breast.
Dinner looks great!

Question for you.  I have a friend with alpha gal, and a few times during summer a group of us gather at my place for drinks and food. I have to make food suitable for him. Sometimes we all have it, other times I make two menus. I'm looking at using gelatin as a clarifier for the first time. and I have a feeling that's tabu for his consumption.  Is that correct?  If so, I'll have to note which beers are cleared and which are not so as to be certain we're not headed to the hospital or using up epi-pens unnecessarily.  I could simply not use the gelatin but I'm curious about the results, and this isn't something that happens often enough for me to adjust my SOP.  I know what beers he likes best so I suppose I can just not clear those.
The specifics of alpha gal reactions vary from person to person. I think everyone can't eat meat from a mammal but some, for instance, have reactions from dairy. I don't react to dairy except that I do react to whey protein and products containing it such as many greek yogurts. I have found that I can eat pie crust made with lard but others can't.
I don't know if I react to gelatin or not because I have avoided it just in case. The reaction I can get is way to interesting to experiment (except lard in pie crust, worth the risk).
Fortunately there are several clarifiers that work very well that are not gelatin and generally are actually easier to use. Try biofine clear, silafine, or others some here may recommend. I use chitosan and kietesol (can be bought together as Superclear) in mead to great effect and will try it in beer. See my picks of hydromel fairly recently in "Pics of recent brews" as an example of kietesol and chitosan clarity. Those were both about two weeks from pitch to clear and carbed.
By the way, it's very easy to accomodate alpha gal because of the countless poultry, seafood, and vegetarian options. Duck is a great replacement for beef and the dark parts of chicken like thighs and legs are just as rich and fatty as mammal derived meats. When I use ground turkey or chicken I often add duck fat and umami boosters such as miso and soy sauce.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2024, 08:52:26 am »
The specifics of alpha gal reactions vary from person to person. I think everyone can't eat meat from a mammal but some, for instance, have reactions from dairy. I don't react to dairy except that I do react to whey protein and products containing it such as many greek yogurts. I have found that I can eat pie crust made with lard but others can't.
I don't know if I react to gelatin or not because I have avoided it just in case. The reaction I can get is way to interesting to experiment (except lard in pie crust, worth the risk).
Fortunately there are several clarifiers that work very well that are not gelatin and generally are actually easier to use. Try biofine clear, silafine, or others some here may recommend. I use chitosan and kietesol (can be bought together as Superclear) in mead to great effect and will try it in beer. See my picks of hydromel fairly recently in "Pics of recent brews" as an example of kietesol and chitosan clarity. Those were both about two weeks from pitch to clear and carbed.
By the way, it's very easy to accomodate alpha gal because of the countless poultry, seafood, and vegetarian options. Duck is a great replacement for beef and the dark parts of chicken like thighs and legs are just as rich and fatty as mammal derived meats. When I use ground turkey or chicken I often add duck fat and umami boosters such as miso and soy sauce.
Thanks for the very detailed response. That'll be quite a help. I know I can't experiment on my buddy Dan because he's already been hospitalized twice over mishaps elsewhere. I have some biofine but the Cheapo in me wants to simply use gelatin which evidently works even better and costs a fraction as much. I'll probably still use it on the beers he's never going to be around. I have three Brewing right now and another coming, all four are potential candidates he will drink so that pretty much puts it out of the question for those unless I do some kegs with and some without.

When I get a little more time at my PC I will post up a recipe for you that is one of my family's all time favorite summertime meals. You'll love it. Thanks again.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #484 on: June 05, 2024, 09:12:12 am »
Alpha Gal Friendly Recipe

Grilled Chicken & Fruit Salad
Serves 12
9 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 recipes Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing or your favorite Italian.

Marinate chicken breasts in salad dressing overnight
Grill until juices run clear, allow to sit covered with foil for 20 minutes, then slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.

1 head red leaf lettuce
1 head iceberg lettuce
Wash and tear greens into large bowl

1 Honeydew melon, cut in bite size pieces
1 Cantaloupe, cut in bite size pieces
2 pints Strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1 small bag coconut
Spread almonds on a rimmed cookie sheet
Spread coconut on a rimmed cookie sheet
Toast in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes, watch carefully and stir often.  Coconut will burn easily.  Allow to cool before placing in individual bowls for serving. Can be made well in advance.

To Serve:  place greens on dinner plate, spoon melon and strawberries over.  Place 2/3 sliced chicken breast over fruit.  Drizzle with Poppy Seed Dressing and sprinkle with toasted coconut and almonds.

Poppy Seed Dressing
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 slice red onion (or to taste - original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons onion juice)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Place sugar, seasonings, vinegar and onion in blender container; cover and blend.  Gradually add oil in slow steady stream; blend until thickened.  Stir in poppy seeds.
Makes about 1 cup

To serve 12, I made 3 recipes.

I have also substituted orange juice for the vinegar and made Orange Poppy Seed Dressing.

Photo, needs opened manually...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 09:21:21 am by CounterPressure »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #485 on: June 05, 2024, 10:02:15 am »
Alpha Gal Friendly Recipe

Grilled Chicken & Fruit Salad
Serves 12
9 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 recipes Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing or your favorite Italian.

Marinate chicken breasts in salad dressing overnight
Grill until juices run clear, allow to sit covered with foil for 20 minutes, then slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.

1 head red leaf lettuce
1 head iceberg lettuce
Wash and tear greens into large bowl

1 Honeydew melon, cut in bite size pieces
1 Cantaloupe, cut in bite size pieces
2 pints Strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1 small bag coconut
Spread almonds on a rimmed cookie sheet
Spread coconut on a rimmed cookie sheet
Toast in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes, watch carefully and stir often.  Coconut will burn easily.  Allow to cool before placing in individual bowls for serving. Can be made well in advance.

To Serve:  place greens on dinner plate, spoon melon and strawberries over.  Place 2/3 sliced chicken breast over fruit.  Drizzle with Poppy Seed Dressing and sprinkle with toasted coconut and almonds.

Poppy Seed Dressing
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 slice red onion (or to taste - original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons onion juice)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Place sugar, seasonings, vinegar and onion in blender container; cover and blend.  Gradually add oil in slow steady stream; blend until thickened.  Stir in poppy seeds.
Makes about 1 cup

To serve 12, I made 3 recipes.

I have also substituted orange juice for the vinegar and made Orange Poppy Seed Dressing.

Photo, needs opened manually...

Sounds great to bring to a cookout.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #486 on: June 05, 2024, 10:03:14 am »
Thanks for the very detailed response. That'll be quite a help. I know I can't experiment on my buddy Dan because he's already been hospitalized twice over mishaps elsewhere. I have some biofine but the Cheapo in me wants to simply use gelatin which evidently works even better and costs a fraction as much. I'll probably still use it on the beers he's never going to be around. I have three Brewing right now and another coming, all four are potential candidates he will drink so that pretty much puts it out of the question for those unless I do some kegs with and some without.

When I get a little more time at my PC I will post up a recipe for you that is one of my family's all time favorite summertime meals. You'll love it. Thanks again.
And the overwhelming number of beers I have made have had no clarifiers.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #487 on: June 05, 2024, 10:16:41 am »
And the overwhelming number of beers I have made have had no clarifiers.
Same here. But, you know how it goes, gotta try everything, at least once...