Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 7.8-gallon buckets...  (Read 944 times)

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: 7.8-gallon buckets...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2024, 08:55:39 am »
"As with my original intent to ferment seven gallons and bottle six from my 13.5-gallon garbage can, I'll ferment eight gallons with this bucket and bottle seven. I have enough 500cc bottles to do it. I'm willing to sacrifice the one gallon below the spigot to keep the dead yeast out of my bottling bucket."
If you put about a 1" shim (book, board, etc.) under the back side as you transfer to the bottling bucket, I think you'll get more of the beer and still leave the dead yeast out of the bottling bucket.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2024, 10:56:08 pm »

If you put about a 1" shim (book, board, etc.) under the back side as you transfer to the bottling bucket, I think you'll get more of the beer and still leave the dead yeast out of the bottling bucket.
I have thought about putting a shim of 3/4" to 1" directly under the transfer valve, so as to have the dead yeast be very thin to not even being there once fermentation is completed. Everything on Earth falls in a perfect line to the center of the planet assuming no wind, et cetera, to distort the path. The yeast bed would be thick 180 degrees opposite the transfer valve and quite thin right under the valve. In any event, I have accepted the cruel fate that I'm going to lose one gallon of fermented beer to completely avoid getting dead yeast into my bottling bucket. It's a tough row to hoe, but somebody's gotta do it...

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2024, 11:08:38 pm »
I think 2 packs of -05 in 8 gal would get you to around 1.058 @ 65°F

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
The 1.058 would be the finished gravity? Or the OG? I'll be fermenting at 72 or so. My electricity is in my rent, so I can run my A/C at full-blast all summer long and never feel the burn of a $700 power bill.

I'm planning to retire on June 21. I calculated that I'm only going to get $296 from my Social Security "benefit" of $1976/month. I was a bit surprised, to not here use any profanity. If I'm right, I won't be retiring until the funeral home closes my casket after the funeral service and before they trundle me off to the cemetery...

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
7.8-gallon buckets...
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2024, 06:05:48 am »
I used 65°F. At 72°F for 8 gal 2 packs -05 can ferment 1.063 OG. Of course, that’s the mfr recommended pitch rate. Many here stretch those limits.

Not sure why you calculate only getting a cpl hundred from a two grand retirement benefit, but I’d get new batteries for that calculator.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 06:07:52 am by BrewBama »

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2024, 09:27:20 pm »

Not sure why you calculate only getting a couple hundred from a two-grand retirement benefit, but I’d get new batteries for that calculator.

I followed the directions to the best of my ability. I had planned to continue working, but no more than one overnight trip per week for three weeks per month. My dad does my taxes, and has for several decades. He tells me I can earn something like $54,000 per year, but I am not certain about that number. Maybe it's earnings combined with Social Security benefits; I don't know. I'll see what's my future once I have actually retired...

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 03:14:53 pm »

Not sure why you calculate only getting a couple hundred from a two-grand retirement benefit, but I’d get new batteries for that calculator.

I did make a mistake; I didn't have all the information needed to do the calculation. I had the 0.85 factor, but didn't have the 0.12 factor. So: $1976 x 0.85 x 0.12 = $201 from the $1976 = $1774 into the bank every month. I will continue to drive for FedEx Ground, but just two overnight trips to Salt Lake ($800 x 2) per month and one daylight trip to Stockton ($300) per month. I'll work five days per month, assuming everything works-out as I hope it will. That will leave me twenty-five days per month to make beer. I'd like to thank God that I'm about the ugliest guy He ever made, so no wife and kids to drain my resources. I'm really good at going into Scheels in Sparks and going upstairs to where the firearms are displayed. I'll "drain my resources" on this beautiful Kimber Stainless II they have up there. Kimbers are absolutely gorgeous guns...