Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smartref Experience?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Smartref Experience?
« on: October 19, 2023, 12:57:56 pm »
I had some issues using my $18 refractometer, and after reading up a lot, I decided to throw in the towel and get a Smartref. I tried searching this forum to see if anyone had input, but the search function doesn't work for me. It gets stuck.

My reasoning is that the Smartref should give me good readings during brewing, with very little mess and no hassle. It has to use a correction factor after fermentation, but I'm comfortable using a hydrometer once the beer is kegged, free of sugar, and accessible using a faucet.

Brew day gravities are a royal pain. With the refractometer, sticky wort was always going where I had to wipe or mop it up later, and I cleaning a Smartref between samples is less bother than cleaning the refractometer. I pictured myself mopping and wiping for the rest of my brewing life, and suddenly, the Smartref looked less expensive.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline quantumguy

• 1st Kit
Re: Smartref Experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 06:38:45 pm »
Probably you've already gone and purchased your SmartRef by now, but for what it's worth I also was thinking of doing this for the exact same reasons. In the end I added a few more bucks and sprang for the EasyDens instead. Only takes about 4 ml, no calibration needed and works of course on fermented wort. It is very slick.