Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much fruit syrup to add to secondary  (Read 106 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
How much fruit syrup to add to secondary
« on: July 04, 2024, 07:58:32 am »
For the first time, I'm brewing a wheat beer and I'm going to add a mango syrup to the secondary. 

I know I'll have to wait for the 25 grams of sugar per oz. to ferment out, but I'm concerned about overdoing the fruit flavor.  The general advice is to add small amounts and keep tasting; but if you start with too little and add too gradually, the beer will be in secondary a looooong time waiting for each addition of sugar to ferment to completion.

The dosing directions on the bottle for mango tea or lemonade call for 1 oz of syrup to 7 ozs of the beverage.  I have a liter bottle to add to 5 gallons. 

Should I start with one-half of it?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice,
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: How much fruit syrup to add to secondary
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 09:15:47 am »
I'd try dosing the syrup in some iced tea at full strength, half strength, and quarter strength first to get an idea of how much mango flavor it contributes. Depending on how much you're looking for I'd guess somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 strength will be what you want, but it's hard to say without trying it first.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How much fruit syrup to add to secondary
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 02:50:50 pm »
When I was putting together the recipe for my raspberry wheat, I made a small amount of the raspberry addition and added it to a few samples of a bottle of wheat beer that I'd purchased.  My wife and I decided on which ratio we liked, and then I scaled it up for the full-sized batch.

When we actually brewed the beer and added the raspberry, we thought it turned out pretty much perfect. 🙂