Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gigawort  (Read 4691 times)

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
Gigawort
« on: October 10, 2023, 05:39:33 pm »
I started doing small batches a year ago since I don’t drink much anymore. I was doing 2.5 gallon BIAB on my stovetop but couldn’t get a good boil, so I switched to the Gigawort. It is working great for me with BIAB. Does anyone else use this system? If so, just curious to how it works for you.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Gigawort
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 07:43:58 pm »
I have one.

It works ok for BIAB ... but it only holds temp ±5°F ish; so a 153 setpoint equates to the temp ranging between like 148 and 158.  So I feel like I've had a lot of variability in the fermentability of wort when I use it for all-grain.

But I love it for small extract batches.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 08:06:24 pm »
I have one.

It works ok for BIAB ... but it only holds temp ±5°F ish; so a 153 setpoint equates to the temp ranging between like 148 and 158.  So I feel like I've had a lot of variability in the fermentability of wort when I use it for all-grain.

But I love it for small extract batches.

If I have a set point of 153 it does drop to 148, but I haven’t seen it go above 155. This is very doable for me. I’m sure it is great for extract batches. That’s the actual intention I believe.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 06:47:26 am »
If I have a set point of 153 it does drop to 148, but I haven’t seen it go above 155.

Yeah, mine consistently overshoots a good 5°F before it switches the element back off. If I could count on it holding to (T-5, T), that'd be fine.  It's the overheating that gets me.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 03:57:02 pm »
If I have a set point of 153 it does drop to 148, but I haven’t seen it go above 155.

Yeah, mine consistently overshoots a good 5°F before it switches the element back off. If I could count on it holding to (T-5, T), that'd be fine.  It's the overheating that gets me.

I'm seriously trying to not sound snarky about this but it just feels like it might come out that way. Apologies in advance.

If it always over shoots by 5°F, have you tried setting your target temp 5°F lower? I know that seems obvious but I'm guessing you can fiddle with the temp once it stabilizes. (full disclosure - I have never heard of or seen the system you are discussing)

Just trying to be helpful. :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Gigawort
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 07:18:22 pm »
Have other Gigawort users reported similar temp control issues? Can you replace the Gigawort ‘digital’ controller with a PID?  They are really cheap and super accurate.  I have been extremely happy with mine.  It finds the SV and stays there.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 05:29:48 am by BrewBama »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 08:26:59 pm »
Just wondering if you're relying on the digital readout. If so, you're likely not getting an accurate reading when the element(s) cycle on & off due to the probe placement, especially if you're not recirculating. You can verify this using a long stem thermometer and checking the temperature close to the center of the grain bed at the digital readout extremes. For more uniform and consistent temperature, either get a pump and recirculate or stir every 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 08:32:33 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 08:29:12 pm »

I'm seriously trying to not sound snarky about this but it just feels like it might come out that way. Apologies in advance.

If it always over shoots by 5°F, have you tried setting your target temp 5°F lower? I know that seems obvious but I'm guessing you can fiddle with the temp once it stabilizes. (full disclosure - I have never heard of or seen the system you are discussing)

Paul

What Drewch is saying is if he has a set point of 153 it keeps heating until it reaches 158. Then it starts dropping until it gets to 148 and starts to heat again. So it goes up 5 degrees and down 5 degrees from set point. Mine will drop the 5 but doesn’t go quite as high. I do find stirring the mash every 15-20 minutes helps.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 05:06:52 am »

Paul

What Drewch is saying is if he has a set point of 153 it keeps heating until it reaches 158. Then it starts dropping until it gets to 148 and starts to heat again. So it goes up 5 degrees and down 5 degrees from set point. Mine will drop the 5 but doesn’t go quite as high. I do find stirring the mash every 15-20 minutes helps.

So it's a fixed set point and not adjustable. Makes sense.

Thanks!
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 09:17:30 am »
It’s not a fixed set point. You can set it for whatever temp you want to mash at. BTW, I’m not very good at explaining things.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 07:23:02 pm »
The set point is variable. The hysteresis is fixed at about ±5°F. Meaning it oscillates over a ~10°F range. 

This review mentions similar behavior.

Edit:  I'm mostly doing extract right now (life is busy and extract is faster), but when I get back around to doing more all-grain, I have a few ideas to try on it .... recirc & the like.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:33:16 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 07:33:42 pm »
The set point is variable. The hysteresis is fixed at about ±5°F. Meaning it oscillates over a ~10°F range. 

This review mentions similar behavior.

Yup.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 01:26:36 pm »
Anybody getting the "dry run" error protection?  I was thinking of getting this mainly to boil sparge water, so I doubt that the error code would trip with just plain RO water, but being concerned with that on small batch brews (the second reason for considering it) has kept me from going this route.

It seems like a handy little device, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 03:02:16 pm »
I got that once. Just had to unplug it and restart it.
The Other Drew

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 07:21:30 pm »
I haven’t had any issues with mine.