Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One pack of yeast  (Read 641 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
One pack of yeast
« on: August 19, 2023, 04:33:26 pm »
I just realized that my next brew will be my 400th beer. I decided to take a page from Denny’s book and make a Quad/Belgian Dark Strong. Here’s my problem, I haven’t made a smaller gravity beer ahead time to build up a large amount of yeast. Can I get away with using one pack of WY 3787 for a 5 gallon batch using the SNS method? Should I get multiple packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
Re: One pack of yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »
I just realized that my next brew will be my 400th beer. I decided to take a page from Denny’s book and make a Quad/Belgian Dark Strong. Here’s my problem, I haven’t made a smaller gravity beer ahead time to build up a large amount of yeast. Can I get away with using one pack of WY 3787 for a 5 gallon batch using the SNS method? Should I get multiple packs?

thats amazing, 400. congrats, you have a lot more under your belt than me, and others know more about the SNS' potentials, but depending on the OG you'd probably do better with two packs and SNS. im assuming something like a 1.100 OG

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 09:05:53 am »

thats amazing, 400. congrats, you have a lot more under your belt than me, and others know more about the SNS' potentials, but depending on the OG you'd probably do better with two packs and SNS. im assuming something like a 1.100 OG

In my experience,  the joy to the style is not so much a high OG as a low FG
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 09:06:24 am »

What OG are you going for?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 10:50:17 am »
I’m going for an OG of 1.085-1.087
I usually get very good attenuation with that strain.

Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 11:55:24 am »

I'd recommend my modified SNS method, using 2 packs instead of one. Still a qt, though. Just be sure to pitch while still active.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 12:44:25 pm »
In my experience,  the joy to the style is not so much a high OG as a low FG

That's really good advice (that I wish I had learned a few years ago); the big Belgians of all styles that I like least are the ones that finish too high on FG.

When I started brewing, I fell into the trap of focusing too much on high OGs.  But some were too....  syrupy. 

I've decided for my tastes, I like almost everything at a relatively low FG.  And maybe especially Belgians.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 12:45:59 pm by ScallyWag »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 01:16:11 pm »

I'd recommend my modified SNS method, using 2 packs instead of one. Still a qt, though. Just be sure to pitch while still active.
Thanks, 2 packs it will be then.

Dan Chisholm