Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cream Ale milky in appearance  (Read 771 times)

Offline Richard R.

• 1st Kit
Cream Ale milky in appearance
« on: June 29, 2023, 03:56:21 pm »
Hello all,

I made a cream ale, first attempt, and it tastes great but is VERY milky in appearance.  I used 84% pale 2 row, 7% flaked corn, 4.5% vienna, and 4.5% corn sugar (last 10 minutes of boil).  I used 1056 yeast at 62 degrees.  Any suggestions on why is was so milky?  The taste is fine, but appearance is not so appetizing.  The water profile was Ca 35, Mg 9, Na 15, SO4 30, Cl 35, and HCO3 10.  The only thing I can think of is I stored my grains in my hot garage, over 100 degrees in the Houston area, but I don't know if that would do it...

Richard
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 04:07:31 pm by Richard Rennison »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Cream Ale milky in appearance
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 04:12:51 pm »
You succeeded where everyone else failed.
You created a creamy Cream Ale.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Richard R.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 04:35:36 pm »
Ha!! I wish that were the case, but this has such an unappealing look it'll be hard to drink.  I forgot to mention it is not yet carbonated or crashed, but I've never had a beer look this milky.

Richard

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 04:46:54 pm »
I'd guess the low calcium, but that's strictly a guess
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 05:50:48 pm »
You might just need a little cold time. Time is a great clearing agent.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 09:57:50 pm »
What was the pH of the mash?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 05:02:36 am »
Did you happen to confuse dextrin for dextrose?

Offline Richard R.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 06:30:28 am »
Hello,

The pH was 5.4 during the mash.  To the other question about dextrin instead of dextrose, I purchased a 1 pound bag of corn sugar which I just assumed was dextrose.  I don't remember if I tasted it or not before adding it to the boil.  I'm going to make this beer again this weekend and will certainly taste it.

Does anyone know what the outcome would be using grains stored in an extremely hot environment, such as my garage, in June, in a sealed plastic container would be?  The thermometer on my garage door opener routinely shows 105 degrees.  Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Richard

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 08:13:12 am »
Hello,

The pH was 5.4 during the mash.  To the other question about dextrin instead of dextrose, I purchased a 1 pound bag of corn sugar which I just assumed was dextrose.  I don't remember if I tasted it or not before adding it to the boil.  I'm going to make this beer again this weekend and will certainly taste it.

Does anyone know what the outcome would be using grains stored in an extremely hot environment, such as my garage, in June, in a sealed plastic container would be?  The thermometer on my garage door opener routinely shows 105 degrees.  Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Richard
If that has anything to do with it, it's out of my experience.  I do keep my grains in a "cool, dry, dark" place but in 24 years of brewing I have never heard of a beer coming out milky because of the temp of the grains. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 08:24:47 am »
Did you do single infusion?
It's possible the flaked corn didn't gelatinize properly.
Flaking is supposed to cause 100% gelatinization (pre-gelatinized) but if not done properly...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 09:04:34 am »
Flaking is supposed to cause 100% gelatinization (pre-gelatinized) but if not done properly...

Have you ever run across any that wasn't?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2023, 09:20:35 am »

Yes, though not in my own brewing.
Always in single infusion mashes at low temperatures, ie 148-152F.
It manifests as a significantly lower OG vs expected.
Doesn't happen with most flakes, but it does happen.
You can steep an equal weight at 150 and 165, give it a shake and 15 min, then measure specific gravity to check whether your flakes are ok.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2023, 11:10:45 am »

Plenty of breweries store grain in silos or warehouses that get into those temperatures in your area. If there is some temperature-driven reaction, it would appear in more beers in warm climates.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2023, 11:10:45 am »

I have never had that happen. I would have to say that while possible, it's extremely unlikely
Yes, though not in my own brewing.
Always in single infusion mashes at low temperatures, ie 148-152F.
It manifests as a significantly lower OG vs expected.
Doesn't happen with most flakes, but it does happen.
You can steep an equal weight at 150 and 165, give it a shake and 15 min, then measure specific gravity to check whether your flakes are ok.

www.dennybrew.com