Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation Questions for new Ukeg Growler  (Read 806 times)

Online Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Carbonation Questions for new Ukeg Growler
« on: February 12, 2023, 07:39:02 am »
Tried out my new 64 oz Ukeg Growler last night and I'm having problems with low carbonation.

I went to a local taproom and drank a 20 oz flight to see which beer I wanted to take home.  I selected a porter.
The place was quite busy when I went to get the growler filled; they could have used another bartender.  When I asked the guy what serving pressure they were using, he gave me a blank look and said the draft system was on glycol.

The Ukeg instruction booklet says after filling to turn the pressure to the desired setting; for porter they recommend 3 -6 PSI. Then for transporting, the manual says to lower the pressure and keep it upright.

Since my wife is an absolute stickler for cleanliness and I'm unfamiliar with them, I went conservative on my settings both in the car and at home. The last thing I want is a big mess in the car or kitchen fridge.

I turned the pressure to 2 PSI for the trip home (about 30 minutes with a stop at a local grocery).  Then I placed it on the kitchen counter with the spout over the kitchen sink and turned up the pressure to 3 PSI on the gauge.  After about 90 minutes, I went to sample a glass.  I tilted the glass, and dispensed about 8 ozs before the flow went to a trickle and stopped.

I turned the pressure dial up a bit without recording  any significant increase in PSI reading on the gauge over night.  Dispensed about 4 ozs early this morning with the gauge reading 3 PSI and again it quickly goes to a trickle. I've now left the Ukeg in the fridge for  12 hours and also turned the pressure dial to the right in two different increments (to increase the PSI) without recording any increase on the gauge.  It now reads 2 PSI.

I've also noticed that the pressure regulation cap which turned very easily without the CO2 cartridge installed, now requires a bit more force to turn with the cartridge installed and beer in the Ukeg.  Is this normal?

Any suggestions from those of you who are familiar with Ukegs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Carbonation Questions for new Ukeg Growler
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 05:08:12 pm »
I'm not familiar with U-kegs but I think you need to turn up the pressure.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 05:08:33 pm »
I'm not familiar with U-kegs but I think you need to turn up the pressure.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 08:36:02 pm »
I've got a uKeg.  I keep mine on about 6 psi most of the time.

You can safely turn it up to 12 psi for a day, then bring it down to about 5 or 6 psi and serve at that pressure.  Or maybe 4 psi if you're concerned.  I wouldn't expect good flow from 2-3 psi.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 08:23:24 pm »
I have a U-keg and never had these problems.   Go ahead and turn it up a bit.
Some of the issues you are describing. *may* indicate a leak somewhere?   May want to check the connections for tightness.