Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refrigerator recommendations for Corny kegs?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Pspengler

• 1st Kit
Refrigerator recommendations for Corny kegs?
« on: April 01, 2023, 08:29:44 am »
Hi Everyone! I’m new to kegging and am looking for a fridge that fits corny kegs. Can others share with me recommendations? I’d house two corny kegs. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 08:59:28 pm by Pspengler »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Refrigerator recommendations for Corny kegs?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 09:28:32 am »
First off, welcome to the group.  You are going to learn a lot of stuff here from some really good folks.  I have a mini fridge, Magic Chef.  I bought a Torpedo 5 gallon keg that fits perfect under the freezer shelf thingie (That's the official name, lol).  If you wanted to try and bend the freezer Thingie, again official lol, you have to be very careful not to break the small metal pipe that goes into the freezer shelf.  If you break that, you now have a nice storage container but a useless refrigerator.  If space is not an option, I would look at Craigslist and Facebook for sale, they have some great deals on used but still working both mini and full size fridges.  As far as Cornies go, if I remember correctly, there are two heights.  One is a Pepsi style and the other was used by Coca Cola.  One is about an inch or two shorter.  I am not in any way a pro, this is just what I picked up as I was getting info myself.  I found a used Mini Fridge the guy had already converted, with the taps, hoses, regulator and tower for about  75 bucks.  I got him down to about 50 if I remember correctly.  Either way, I would look into Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see what you can find.  People seem to fall in and out of this hobby quite often. 

Where are you located? 

Rock On!!!!!!!!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 01:37:55 pm »
Hi Everyone! I’m new to kegging and am looking for a fridge that fits corny kegs. Can others share with me recommendations?

Depends on how often you brew and how much volume you're going keg. How many full corny kegs will you have at any given time?

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:31:02 pm »
You can get a full size fridge and take all the inside shelves out

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:39:20 am »
My first kegging foray was done on the cheap. There was an old, old fridge in the basement of the house we bought. I took out the shelves and could fit three kegs inside and a CO2 tank. I ran one gas line out of the regulator into a three way splitter so I could hook up one or all three kegs at once. Rather than drill through the door I just used picnic taps which were much less expensive than shanks+faucets+handles. I used that rig for many years before finding a used chest freezer to convert.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato