Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can you add RO water at day 6 of primary fermentation?  (Read 618 times)

Offline Pspengler

• 1st Kit
Can you add RO water at day 6 of primary fermentation?
« on: March 31, 2023, 11:18:59 am »
Hi Everyone!

My hydrometer dropped and broke while brewing so I could not calculate OG.  I set aside some post boil wort and measured it once a replacment hydrometer arrived. The OG is WAY to high (caused by me winging it whilst brewing)...OG = 1.086.

OG for this batch of Jalapeno Hopper should be 1.064 at most.  If I stay the course I wil have ABV = 10.4% (versus preferred about 7.0%).

Do people think it would be okay to add RO water today, day 6 of primary fermentation?  If not do folks have an idea of other tactics I might take to lower the ultimate ABV?

Rooky mistake, but I only blame my clumsy hands dropping the slippery hydrometer. Im hoping to get good input today (day 6 of primary).

Thank you!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Can you add RO water at day 6 of primary fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 12:07:33 pm »

You can. Though I've never tried it myself. There would be a small chance of contamination and a near certainty of introducing some oxygen. The agitation will also likely cause some degassing.

These may or may not be a big deal for you. It really depends on how much you have invested in the batch and how opposed you are to having an Imperial Jalapeño Hopper.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:25:25 pm »
Sure you can. Done it several times. Couldn't hurt to boil it first to deaerate it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 02:47:23 pm »
Sure you can. Done it several times. Couldn't hurt to boil it first to deaerate it.

Ditto.  Sometimes I boil the water.  Sometimes I don't.  It turns out good either way IMO.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Pspengler

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 08:09:32 am »
Thank you everyone … I boiled distilled water for 30 minutes, cooled to same temp as beer, and carefully added today avoiding too much disruption to the beer. Brewing is an experiment! Hopefully it works … it’s one of my favorite brews and planning to keg it for a retirement party. Thank you everyone!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 08:12:29 am by Pspengler »

Offline Pspengler

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 08:11:46 am »
Thank you everyone … I booked distilled water for 30 minutes, cooled to same temp as beer, and carefully added today avoiding too much disruption to the beer. Brewing is an experiment! Hopefully it works … it’s one of my favorite brews and planning to keg it for a retirement party. Thank you everyone!