Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast and temperature shock  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Big Harry Deehl

• 1st Kit
Re: Yeast and temperature shock
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 12:57:23 pm »

In the case of cold crashing, Palmer has told me that too rapid a reduction of temp will cause yeast cells to release lipids which can have a negative effect on foam.  Being me, I ignored him and did it anyway.  I didn't detect any problems.  Sometimes reality astonishes theory.

Old topic I know, but I thought I would share my experience which has shown me that Palmer is correct.  I heard Bamforth speak on the topic and he blathered on and on about how they crash cooled Carling Black Label...... blah blah blah...... but in the end he agreed that shocking the yeast releases proteolytic enzymes reducing foam.  YMMV, but I believe slow crashing has a benefit but also the cost of time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:07:12 pm by Big Harry Deehl »
Homebrewing since the last millennia
AHA Member in Birmingham, AL
BJCP Master

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 03:16:28 pm »

In the case of cold crashing, Palmer has told me that too rapid a reduction of temp will cause yeast cells to release lipids which can have a negative effect on foam.  Being me, I ignored him and did it anyway.  I didn't detect any problems.  Sometimes reality astonishes theory.

Old topic I know, but I thought I would share my experience which has shown me that Palmer is correct.  I heard Bamforth speak on the topic and he blathered on and on about how they crash cooled Carling Black Label...... blah blah blah...... but in the end he agreed that shocking the yeast releases proteolytic enzymes reducing foam.  YMMV, but I believe slow crashing has a benefit but also the cost of time.

I have not had a problem crashing. Until I do, I'll keep doing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 05:04:40 pm »

Lipids and proteolytic enzymes are two different things. It doesn't sound as if Bamforth was in complete agreement with Palmer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 05:57:53 pm »
I cold crash as fast as I can in a fermentation fridge and haven't had any problems.