Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My next brew day  (Read 619 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
My next brew day
« on: September 07, 2023, 10:31:34 am »
https://share.brewfather.app/jHxNkV5ZdB78z6

My next recipe attempt.  I have never done a 90 minute boil nor used Pilsner malt.  so this should be interesting.  It was taken from another forum and adjusted to fit what I perceive as my efficiency of my system.  Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My next brew day
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 11:02:31 am »

My next recipe attempt.  I have never done a 90 minute boil nor used Pilsner malt.  so this should be interesting.  It was taken from another forum and adjusted to fit what I perceive as my efficiency of my system.  Thoughts?

No need to do a 90 min boil. That idea is as outdated as rotary dial telephones
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 12:08:38 pm »

That is what somebody else said on another forum.  But another poster said something about DMS being a factor if boiling for less than 90 minutes? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 12:57:33 pm »

That is what somebody else said on another forum.  But another poster said something about DMS being a factor if boiling for less than 90 minutes?

Not In my many batches of experience with pils malt. I have tested 60 v 90 min boils many times. Now I always do 60.  Eliminating DMS is about boil vigor, not boil length.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 01:35:01 pm »

Not In my many batches of experience with pils malt. I have tested 60 v 90 min boils many times. Now I always do 60.  Eliminating DMS is about boil vigor, not boil length.
Yeah, you don't need to boil for 90 minutes to mitigate DMS. Get a nice boil to start, then a calm, rolling boil for an hour.
The only time I boil longer is to concentrate the wort.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
60 max on the boil and often just 30 minutes, anymore.  I do have to watch IBU's with the short boil, but it works fine.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 05:15:58 pm »
I was an advocate for 90 minute boils with pils malt too because of what I had read, a firm believer. Through brewing many batches of pilsner, both 90/60 mins I've come to the conclusion it isn't necessary. A vigorous boil works at diminishing DMS.