Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Local Home Brew Shops are Driving Me to the Big Boys  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Local Home Brew Shops are Driving Me to the Big Boys
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 08:11:52 pm »
I try to support the LHBS in the same way that I try to shop local in general — independent bookstores, cafes, etc.  We can argue all day about whether Walmart, Amazon, et al., are "good" for the economy, but I choose to vote with my dollars for small businesses whenever I can.

And your LHBS can be a natural center of gravity for the local homebrewing scene in a way that an online retailer can never be.

But the market's cutthroat and margins are tight. I almost wonder if it wouldn't be easier for a local brewery to sell ingredients on the side than try to stay afloat as a standalone LHBS....
Thank you

Local breweries do not want to become
LHBS because that is not core of their business.

If they sell you grain for home brewing, they do it as a favor then anything else.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 05:44:41 pm »
Local breweries do not want to become LHBS because that is not core of their business.

Yeah, I'm sure it'd have to be a passion project / break-even "public service", not a significant revenue steam.  But as byzantine as US alcohol laws are, states have probably made this illegal somehow anyway.... 🙄
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 08:00:14 pm »
Years ago, probably at least 20 years, we had "Total Beverage" around here. They had tons of homebrewing items for crazy low prices. Someone actually knew what they were doing as quite a bit of stock was kept cold (hops, yeast, etc). "Total Beverage" was owned by the Haft family. They also owned "Crown Books" and "Trak Auto" and I believe a supermarket chain. Divorce ruined everything for us homebrewers.

Unfortunately, those days are gone. "Total Beverage" is now, for the most part, "Total Wine" and has nothing to do with the Haft family.

"I get good info, advice, and feedback at my local store." What if I don't want or need? Should I still pay a premium?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 02:28:44 pm by brewthru »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 04:45:48 pm »

"I get good info, advice, and feedback at my local store." What if I don't want or need? Should I still pay a premium?
I say if you can afford it for some items, pay the premium to those who live near you.  You never know what impact this might have for them, for you, for others, or all three. 

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 08:19:16 pm »
My LHBS is waaaaay too expensive. Only go there for last-minute needs. But if it went under, no tears from me. Morebeer and Wiliams all the way.

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 09:50:15 am »
My LHBS no longer carries White Labs (I especially miss WLP090 San Diego) which is what I had used for my first several dozen batches.  i make do with Wyeast or Imperial but I feel like my store just isn't carrying as wide a selection as they once did.

My biggest problem with the store is that they don't seem to hold onto knowledgeable staff. There were a couple guys I could always count on for knowledge and advice but not anymore. One staff member recently suggested American ale yeast as a sub for American lager yeast. That's an unacceptable lack of basic knowledge.