Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BrewEasy Question  (Read 703 times)

Offline TommyM

• 1st Kit
BrewEasy Question
« on: December 02, 2021, 04:10:39 pm »
I upgraded to a 5 gallon BrewEasy system.  I've done 3 batches and am starting to feel comfortable with the system.  I do have one issue that I need help with.

After dough-in and waiting the recommended 10 minutes for the mash to the settle, the water in the bottom kettle is much hotter than the temp I want to recirculate at.  If I want to mash at 152F, my strike water is at about 160F.  So now I have 4-4.5 gallons of close to 160F water in the bottom kettle that I am going to start recirculation with.

I have a few ideas but am wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BrewEasy Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 07:31:47 pm »
Maybe wait less than 10 minutes before starting recirculation. Just a guess. I don’t recirculate.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 04:26:47 am »
I suggest simply mashing in at a lower temperature and move upward during recirculation.  But, I don’t have that system, so there may be an easier way to control the lower vessel temperature or just hold back on the volume and add some cooler water to the system after the mash in…
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 08:10:03 am »
If I understand your question completely,

With my Breweasy system (about 5 years old now) there is consistently a 3F temperature drop between the sensor element for the controller and the MLT. This may vary slightly depending on how long your silicon hoses are cut, flow rate, ambient temperature etc.

YMMV, but if I wanted to mash at 152F, I would heat all the batch water to a temperature that would yield 150F after mash-in. For most of my batches I use about 11 pounds of grain. For my system, that equates to 161-162 F strike water to reach 150F mash-in. Then pump just enough water to the MLT to cover the grains. The difference in a mash-in at 150 vs. 152 doesn't seem to make a difference. During the 10 minute mash-in rest, recirc the BK with  temperature SP of about 155F, to account for the 3 degree system temperature drop. BK water temperature will not drop this low, but once recirc through the MLT is established, it will.

After the initial 10 minute rest, establish "normal" Breweasy recirculation. Any temperature overshoot will only occur at the surface where the heated water enters, and the mash will come to equilibrium at 152. As always, adjust next time if needed. Describing the process is more difficult than it is to perform.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Roger