Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's discuss the early days of the home brewing movement  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Let's discuss the early days of the home brewing movement
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2021, 05:38:21 am »
Started homebrewing in 1979. We bought a house ( $38,000.00 ), and it took everything we had to pay the mortgage. Saw a can of malt extract in a grocery store and bought it. Canada Brew. Corn sugar plus city water and a 5 gallon glass carboy. Yeast was like 5 grams under the cap. I drank it though, kind of forgot how it tasted. I do remember in the summer the temp must of been close to 80 F. Bought Charlie's book in the early 80's and started partial mash brewing on the stove. Loved it. Built his Zapzap with a couple of buckets and was well on my way to brewing all grain. I still couldn't find a big enough pot to boil a 5 gallon batch, so using corn sugar was still in my recipes. Did kits until the late 90's until I bought a 13 gallon keg to use as a boiler. Still have it, it is my sparge tank now converted to electric. Those were the days. I was always on the look out for brewing equipment as Canada had pretty well nothing to offer in homebrew equipment so we had to make our own stuff. Ordering equipment from the US was way cheaper than it is now though. I still have my Zapzap bucket along with a mash jacket I ordered from the US. I also still have all of my brewing books I bought back in the day. One thing though, I gathered all of my old Brew Your Own magazines in a box, I think there were around 100 and put them on our local marketplace on facebbook. For free!!! Not one taker, I guess the new brewers know it all.

I hoard magazines.  I have all the BYO/Zymurgy/Wood Mag/American Woodworker/Handyman Club of America I've ever received.  I even found a box of The Iowan the other day.  It was a beautiful coffee table type of magazine.  I think I have a problem.  :)

The woodworking mags publish the same set of articles every 3-4 years for the most part.  Subscribe for 4 years and you have every plan they've got.

My son is now raiding my old brewing gear to get started making cider and mead.  A new generation of us is beginning.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 10:17:52 am »
I have magazines going way back, too.  I just put them in plastic cases and never pull them out.  I guess I am thinking that when I retire, I will re-live the earlier days or something.  I think I may start to give away the old and excess equipment, if there are guys in my homebrew club that might want the stuff or perhaps my son (he brews about twice a year with a buddy of his).  Time to de-clutter according to my wife.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline grizwold

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2021, 06:06:00 pm »
 "email news group that came out from the BA or whatever it was called before the forums that was interesting but really hard to follow (I can't remember what it was called now, someone will remember)"

was it alt.rec.hombrewing?
oops
I meant to do that

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2021, 09:32:30 pm »
"email news group that came out from the BA or whatever it was called before the forums that was interesting but really hard to follow (I can't remember what it was called now, someone will remember)"

alt.beer.homebrewing was one, and rec.crafts.brewing was another.  I frequented both for a few years.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2021, 05:40:25 am »

alt.beer.homebrewing was one, and rec.crafts.brewing was another.  I frequented both for a few years.

I spent quite a bit time in those news groups too.  They were great resources but a real pain to use compared to today's tech.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Don

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2021, 03:51:57 pm »
I first started brewing around '82 or so. Extract of course. We steeped a few grains and we thought that was pretty advanced. No temp control... actually, an old unfinished, concrete floored bathroom that we deemed stayed pretty stable temp-wise was it. Our beer was never that great, always tasted.... off. Had that "homebrew" taste to it. In 2016 I decided I wanted to brew again, but fix all the issues we had.
So much more info out there as compared to the '80s... being the Bay Area we had a couple of different places we could get supplies from back then.