Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Putting back on airlock  (Read 2570 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Putting back on airlock
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2021, 07:58:23 am »
Left undisturbed I would agree there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the wort/beer.

However, as soon as the turbulence from opening the fermenter stirs the air with CO2, that blanket is mixed up.

Add hops by pouring them into the liquid or throwing in a hop bag and more mixing occurs.

The active yeast will push the mixture out the blowoff and if any O2 was inadvertently introduced to the liquid they will consume it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2021, 08:00:34 am »
Left undisturbed I would agree there is a blanket of CO2 on top of the wort/beer.

However, as soon as the turbulence from opening the fermenter stirs the air with CO2, that blanket is mixed up.

Add hops by pouring them into the liquid or throwing in a hop bag and more mixing occurs.

The active yeast will push the mixture out the blowoff and if any O2 was inadvertently introduced to the liquid they will consume it.

I haven’t done any dry hopping yet I honestly don’t know why people use a hop sack when hops are a natural disinfectant and will not cause any infections to the beer if they sink to the bottom it’s not going to case any plugging issues. Tho I would cold crash to have all the hop floaters sync to the bottom with the trub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2021, 08:23:05 am »
Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do.