Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Carb Beer  (Read 2356 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Low Carb Beer
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 05:59:23 pm »
Pete, is there a good brand and or price for the quinine extract? I see all kinds of options when I search for it, just don't know which are good and which are garbage

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
My wife bought this a few years ago. It works great. She tends to get enthusiastic about things like this. That's a lifetime supply.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Good stuff, thanx Pete

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 06:09:12 pm »
We’re all set if we get malaria.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 06:59:29 pm »
I wasn’t impressed by the recipe linked in the first post:whiskey, dry hops, gelatin, and mineral water.
I am currently doing a low carb tune up diet to get rid of some weight that I put on the past few months that I largely blame on habits being shook up by covid. The first two weeks (on day 4 now) are extremely low carb, and no alcohol. The second two weeks I will allow myself spirits but no beer or other high carb items.
I actually think I could make something worthwhile on tap from the basic idea above. I have a 1.5 gallon keg to experiment with; I originally thought I would make a carb free cocktail but I think I would like the challenge of making a carb free beer. My idea is to use iso hop extract for hop bitterness, bourbon, steeped grains, water, hop oil for flavor and aroma, and maybe hops in a tea ball in the keg while it carbs.
I am wondering what people know about carbs in steeped grains. I believe crystal malts have sugars that have been broken down in the malting process so they would give off some carbs but I think a base malt steeped at a higher temp than a sacc rest would not have any sugar to give off nor would it be converted. I am thinking if I steep a smallish amount of base malts and even a very small amount of crystal. I am hoping this will add some flavor and body. Does that sound right?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 06:52:31 am »
I wasn’t impressed by the recipe linked in the first post:whiskey, dry hops, gelatin, and mineral water.
I am currently doing a low carb tune up diet to get rid of some weight that I put on the past few months that I largely blame on habits being shook up by covid. The first two weeks (on day 4 now) are extremely low carb, and no alcohol. The second two weeks I will allow myself spirits but no beer or other high carb items.
I actually think I could make something worthwhile on tap from the basic idea above. I have a 1.5 gallon keg to experiment with; I originally thought I would make a carb free cocktail but I think I would like the challenge of making a carb free beer. My idea is to use iso hop extract for hop bitterness, bourbon, steeped grains, water, hop oil for flavor and aroma, and maybe hops in a tea ball in the keg while it carbs.
I am wondering what people know about carbs in steeped grains. I believe crystal malts have sugars that have been broken down in the malting process so they would give off some carbs but I think a base malt steeped at a higher temp than a sacc rest would not have any sugar to give off nor would it be converted. I am thinking if I steep a smallish amount of base malts and even a very small amount of crystal. I am hoping this will add some flavor and body. Does that sound right?

i wish you the best on this, but if i were you. i would focus much more on a diet with no unnecessary sugar or sweet products, no hyper refined carbohydrates and work on more exercise whenever possible.

when i drink spirits i find i end up getting hungries even stronger than beer and eat a huge late night snack. re: alcohol imho just try to reduce your beer to one or two a day max and take dry days as well.

focus on exercise a lot. i went to the gym last night, had a litre of 6% homebrew afterwards, 6 hours of sleep and feel good today.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 08:58:09 am »

i wish you the best on this, but if i were you. i would focus much more on a diet with no unnecessary sugar or sweet products, no hyper refined carbohydrates and work on more exercise whenever possible.

when i drink spirits i find i end up getting hungries even stronger than beer and eat a huge late night snack. re: alcohol imho just try to reduce your beer to one or two a day max and take dry days as well.

focus on exercise a lot. i went to the gym last night, had a litre of 6% homebrew afterwards, 6 hours of sleep and feel good today.
Thanks for that, fredthecat, great advice . That is actually my regular life already. Apart from beer my diet is great, I am an avid cook and gardener, and eat all homemade foods and a plant based diet. I consider refined carbs like pasta a treat that I have now and then in small amount. I also bike or hike just about everyday and my job is not totally sedentary. I am not seriously overweight but do have a tendency to put on weight if I am not careful so I occasionally go on a diet like this.
So this little project is really just a way to have fun for the two weeks I will be having a little alcohol but no beer.
I really love beer.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 08:23:17 pm »

Thanks for that, fredthecat, great advice . That is actually my regular life already. Apart from beer my diet is great, I am an avid cook and gardener, and eat all homemade foods and a plant based diet. I consider refined carbs like pasta a treat that I have now and then in small amount. I also bike or hike just about everyday and my job is not totally sedentary. I am not seriously overweight but do have a tendency to put on weight if I am not careful so I occasionally go on a diet like this.
So this little project is really just a way to have fun for the two weeks I will be having a little alcohol but no beer.
I really love beer.

my nightmare is to have a sedentary job. thankfully i was employed in a fairly active, but not physically strenuous career for a long time.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2020, 05:34:46 am »
I agree with much of the above.  In fact, I began my diet and workout regimen in January.  Then my doctor told me in July that I had Type 2 Diabetes.  That’s when I had to cut out as many carbs from of my diet as possible.  So, since January, through diet, exercise and carb counting, I have lost 34 pounds and well on my way to my goal for this year.  In 2021, I plan on continuing my current practices, but I’ll also focus on eliminating excess fats in my diet.  My goal for 2021 is to drop another 25-30 pounds.

All that said, I do still enjoy a homebrew once or twice a week with no ill effects.  I wear one of those LifeStyle sensors in my arm and take my glucose readings regularly; I can literally see in minutes how various foods affect my blood sugar.  So far, my home brews are okay with careful moderation.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 06:17:28 am »
I agree with much of the above.  In fact, I began my diet and workout regimen in January.  Then my doctor told me in July that I had Type 2 Diabetes.  That’s when I had to cut out as many carbs from of my diet as possible.  So, since January, through diet, exercise and carb counting, I have lost 34 pounds and well on my way to my goal for this year.  In 2021, I plan on continuing my current practices, but I’ll also focus on eliminating excess fats in my diet.  My goal for 2021 is to drop another 25-30 pounds.

All that said, I do still enjoy a homebrew once or twice a week with no ill effects.  I wear one of those LifeStyle sensors in my arm and take my glucose readings regularly; I can literally see in minutes how various foods affect my blood sugar.  So far, my home brews are okay with careful moderation.
That’s great kellerbrauer, your an inspiration. Hopefully you have been at it long enough that the new habits are internalized and it’s fairly easy. Covid really shook up my eating and drinking habits as I was home more and I am trying to re=establish good habits again for the long term.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 11:11:20 am »

Wow, I could quote you almost exactly for my year. My wife and I made a New Year's resolution to start eating at home and packing a lunch for work, rather than eating out, and just all around stop eating like crap. When Covid hit, we were already in a good groove so we were able to handle at least the cooking at home changes.

I hurt my hip this spring, and after it wasn't getting better I went to my doctor. He ran a bunch of tests, and found out that I am diabetic. It wasn't a huge surprise, since my mom's whole family has Type 2, plus I've always been overweight, and up to that point I was drinking a lot of sugary drinks and consumed a lot of white carbs. It took a little adjustment to switch my diet around, but so far my numbers have been good now that I've figured out good alternatives for some of the old high-carb staples in my diet.

My beer consumption has never been super high, so thankfully I haven't had to cut that out. I generally have 2 to 4 beers a week, often half-pours. When I have one beer along with or after a meal it hasn't had a significant effect on my blood sugar.

I've lost about 50 pounds over the past year or so, but it has slowed a bit since I got diagnosed as diabetic, since I moved from a high protein/low fat diet to a high protein/low-carb diet. I'd like to lose another 70 pounds, but as long as I keep going in the right direction I don't particularly mind if it takes a while.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2020, 05:14:32 pm »

Wow, I could quote you almost exactly for my year. My wife and I made a New Year's resolution to start eating at home and packing a lunch for work, rather than eating out, and just all around stop eating like crap. When Covid hit, we were already in a good groove so we were able to handle at least the cooking at home changes.

I hurt my hip this spring, and after it wasn't getting better I went to my doctor. He ran a bunch of tests, and found out that I am diabetic. It wasn't a huge surprise, since my mom's whole family has Type 2, plus I've always been overweight, and up to that point I was drinking a lot of sugary drinks and consumed a lot of white carbs. It took a little adjustment to switch my diet around, but so far my numbers have been good now that I've figured out good alternatives for some of the old high-carb staples in my diet.

My beer consumption has never been super high, so thankfully I haven't had to cut that out. I generally have 2 to 4 beers a week, often half-pours. When I have one beer along with or after a meal it hasn't had a significant effect on my blood sugar.

I've lost about 50 pounds over the past year or so, but it has slowed a bit since I got diagnosed as diabetic, since I moved from a high protein/low fat diet to a high protein/low-carb diet. I'd like to lose another 70 pounds, but as long as I keep going in the right direction I don't particularly mind if it takes a while.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yea, one of the reasons I am trying to be proactive about my weight is that both of my parents had type two and at least one of my older siblings has been diagnosed with it. I am 6’1 and weigh 220 right now, which doesn’t feel too bad but I feel better around 205.

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2021, 08:53:08 am »
I try not to drink alcohol at all now. At the beginning of last year, I had a routine check-up with a doctor and he said that my heart is in a very bad condition due to excess weight. Physical activity is contraindicated for me, and you can walk at a calm pace. It was also necessary for me to think about my diet because it also plays a big role. After a year of productive work, I can boast-35kg on my scales and I think that mealprep.com.au really helped me with that. You should definitely try their nachos with fresh tomato salsa.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:17:13 pm by JoanMCD »