Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flaked Maize  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Flaked Maize
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 11:51:47 am »
If you want corn in an extract beer you could get some of the extract that Williams sells that has corn in the extract.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 10:18:27 am »
If you want to make things a bit more complicated (maybe fun), you do a mini-mash with the flaked corn and some malted barley.  I imagine you could do this with these grains in a bag in your boil kettle, do the mini-mash at 150F for 20 minutes, then remove the bag and brew the rest of the recipe.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 05:04:01 pm »
Meh, I have no intention of brewing this.  I was just browsing recipes of some of these online retailers and it seems a lot of them are flippantly put together with no thought given to the end result.  You really have to hunt to find a well thought out recipe.  But all of you are correct, I could do an all grain or a partial mash, use dextrose or corn syrup to make up for the lack of conversion, etc... (basically correct and compensate for the bad recipe).

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 05:09:18 pm »
If you want corn in an extract beer you could get some of the extract that Williams sells that has corn in the extract.

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 05:11:20 pm »
Got a charge out-of this video where the guy puts 2 lbs of corn syrup into a Brewers Best Cream Ale.  I'm not saying his methods are good or bad, but they seem satisfied with the end result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFGs1S5oE2U
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:07:50 pm by rungdalek »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »

That's interesting, I didn't know that.
It's called American Lager lme. I have an article scheduled for the next Zymurgy  that has a recipe using it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 01:07:51 pm »
i'm sure rungdalek is out there making his corn and rice syrup augmented pale lagers somewhere...

when will he return?